Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree88Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2016, 13:08   #31
Senior Member+

Re: Stanley Store

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeayess View Post
I tend to agree as well. One of the attractions of Stanley was that it seemed like you were contributing to the club and it was appreciated unlike some of the plastic clubs higher up the leagues where you were a customer not a fan. It was a struggle against the odds each season which made every season we stayed in the league more of a success.

Now we are backed by Andy Holt so the threat of the wolf at the door has receded. In effect we will be just another League 2 club once all the work is finished. Will that still attract curious casual fans? Who knows. I don't think Andy is here to damage the club but neither is he here to throw money away. As macca says it can be used for tax purposes, to attract grants etc and at the end of the day sold on to someone else to recoup some of the money if not all.
An excellent description. From my own perspective, there was no need to buy a season ticket as I was never likely to attend enough home games to justify the expense. I did it (as did other family members) to support this special club called Accrington Stanley. No need to sponsor players, no need to sponsor match programmes, no need to pay £1 for the team sheet - all that has become unnecessary. The club no longer needs my money, nor anyone else's. The club now seems to be financially safe so no longer needs my help in that way - nor, of course, anyone else's help. I wonder how many people noticed the little comment from the mighty Peter Marsden when he said that he would henceforth be devoting some of his undoubted energy to "the world of non-league football nearer home". I understand that sentiment.

I cannot deny that Andy Holt's arrival has gained financial security - but something has been lost.

I am quite happy to support Plastic Box; in fact, I bought 12 of their storage boxes at The Range only last week. But if I were to buy a Stanley shirt, I would want to buy it from Accrington Stanley, not Plastic Box. Sorry - that's just me.
football19 likes this.
Revived Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 10-07-2016, 13:53   #32
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revived Red View Post
An excellent description. From my own perspective, there was no need to buy a season ticket as I was never likely to attend enough home games to justify the expense. I did it (as did other family members) to support this special club called Accrington Stanley. No need to sponsor players, no need to sponsor match programmes, no need to pay £1 for the team sheet - all that has become unnecessary. The club no longer needs my money, nor anyone else's. The club now seems to be financially safe so no longer needs my help in that way - nor, of course, anyone else's help. I wonder how many people noticed the little comment from the mighty Peter Marsden when he said that he would henceforth be devoting some of his undoubted energy to "the world of non-league football nearer home". I understand that sentiment.

I cannot deny that Andy Holt's arrival has gained financial security - but something has been lost.

I am quite happy to support Plastic Box; in fact, I bought 12 of their storage boxes at The Range only last week. But if I were to buy a Stanley shirt, I would want to buy it from Accrington Stanley, not Plastic Box. Sorry - that's just me.
Before the arrival of Andy Holt we were a club that was everybody's idea of a joke apart from the die hard fans that were below 900 one Tuesday night game not so long ago the only thing that would have been lost was our fantastic little club if Andy had,nt stepped in I for one think we are only going to go from strength to strength both on and off the playing field.
monkey hanger likes this.
andyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 14:02   #33
Senior Member+

Of course the club need our/your money, We can't just rely on a shareholder to bank roll us forever.

We're just now fortunate that we have Andy is putting things in place like our own catering facilities, toilet facilities etc so we can hopefully become a sustainable football club that won't need money pumping in!

If people want to sponsor a player or a matchday programme then why would you stop them?

The last thing we want to be doing is being reliant on Andy Holt putting money in because one day we may not have that money being put in, then what happens?
Old 10-07-2016, 14:15   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyd View Post
Before the arrival of Andy Holt we were a club that was everybody's idea of a joke apart from the die hard fans that were below 900 one Tuesday night game not so long ago the only thing that would have been lost was our fantastic little club if Andy had,nt stepped in I for one think we are only going to go from strength to strength both on and off the playing field.
I hope you are right but I was one of those 900 odd against Hartlepool but I doubt I will be again in midweek. It doesn't mean I have given up on Stanley but I can't see me putting in the same effort now.

Chances are I'll use my season ticket at ibrox more and take in some Stanley away fixtures especially at grounds I've not been to yet and home games against clubs I've not seen.

Just my opinion but the magic just doesn't seem to be there now compared to the early days in the league. Hopefully it's onwards and upwards for Stanley but nothing can be taken for granted these days
deeayess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 14:22   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by baldy View Post
Of course the club need our/your money, We can't just rely on a shareholder to bank roll us forever.

We're just now fortunate that we have Andy is putting things in place like our own catering facilities, toilet facilities etc so we can hopefully become a sustainable football club that won't need money pumping in!

If people want to sponsor a player or a matchday programme then why would you stop them?

The last thing we want to be doing is being reliant on Andy Holt putting money in because one day we may not have that money being put in, then what happens?
I don't think he is trying to stop anyone doing it he just feels that it is no longer as important as the club is relatively safe these days. I tend to agree with that perception but that is just my feeling too. Stanley were never my first team as anyone who knows me is aware of but I still cared when the buckets were rattled. Hopefully those days are long gone but it doesn't change the fact that the club is far different these days.
Old 10-07-2016, 15:42   #36
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by baldy View Post

Who said I would stop them? . Totally bizarre. You clearly have not understood a word I have said. Or why I have said it.
Revived Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 15:47   #37
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Who said I would stop them? . Totally bizarre. You clearly have not understood a word I have said. Or why I have said it.
Dont expect owt else, after all its baldy.
DAV007 likes this.
Old 10-07-2016, 17:12   #38
Full Member+

Stanley has been constantly changing, if we hadn't we would just have stayed in the NWCL. No one dreamed we would ever get out of the NPL, it seemed an impossibility for 2 decades, never mind league football. Lots of money was pumped in to achieve the two promotions, and even turning pro which had an initial setback.

Someone comes in to try and improve the club and fans moan and give up at at time very little has changed, only we are not the bookies relegation favourites. The ground is a **** hole and needs improvement, crowds were getting smaller by the season before Holt came in, and the club can't even provide water in the toilets and 'Mr T' thought that was an okay way to treat fans. The improvement are more than welcome and Stanley still need every penny from any source possible.

I assume the plastic industry could be hit thanks to the pound/dollar fall after the brexit
baldy likes this.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 17:25   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post
Stanley has been constantly changing, if we hadn't we would just have stayed in the NWCL. No one dreamed we would ever get out of the NPL, it seemed an impossibility for 2 decades, never mind league football. Lots of money was pumped in to achieve the two promotions, and even turning pro which had an initial setback.

Someone comes in to try and improve the club and fans moan and give up at at time very little has changed, only we are not the bookies relegation favourites. The ground is a **** hole and needs improvement, crowds were getting smaller by the season before Holt came in, and the club can't even provide water in the toilets and 'Mr T' thought that was an okay way to treat fans. The improvement are more than welcome and Stanley still need every penny from any source possible.

I assume the plastic industry could be hit thanks to the pound/dollar fall after the brexit
You are right, Stanley are no longer the tinpot club who joined the league, they are just another league two club. That's where people lose interest because there are another 23 of those. If Stanley are successful and move on that's great for the fans but if they don't then how many diehards will be left. As many unknowns as brexit perhaps :-D
Old 10-07-2016, 18:00   #40
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
i go in the store, which i will not be doing now, nowt simpler than that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeayess View Post
Now we are backed by Andy Holt so the threat of the wolf at the door has receded. In effect we will be just another League 2 club once all the work is finished.
Quote:
No need to sponsor players, no need to sponsor match programmes, no need to pay £1 for the team sheet - all that has become unnecessary. The club no longer needs my money, nor anyone else's. The club now seems to be financially safe so no longer needs my help in that way - nor, of course, anyone else's help.
I can't quite believe what I'm reading here, have I missed something and we've become an overnight highroller club?

Of course the club still needs our money, for a start every pound spent is another pound further away from Andy pulling out ...

The money currently being spent is the £600k that Andy put in at the start of his tenure, the other 600k being what was used to wipe out the debt if I remember rightly. He has probably put more in as well to ensure that jobs are done properly and in a timely fashion. This is all work that should have been done years ago but we never had enough money coming in to get it done and Eric had spent his lot getting us out of non-league.

Had the work been done ten years ago, we may have been able to retain some of our increased crowds over the years, but leaking stands and boggy bogs ensured that the allure of our tinpottedness retained as few as possible. The work being done now gets us back onto an even keel and gives us only a fighting chance of increasing crowds. No more, no less. I don't think it would be unkind to suggest that Andy may be deluded if he believes in the 'build it and they will come' mantra.

When all is said and done, we will still be in the bottom two or three with regards to crowd size, budget and crappy small ground (only Morecambe can really challenge us on crowds and budget). Andy will not be putting half a million plus into the club every season, so the money needed to get us off the foot of those various tables will come from paying a pound for team sheets, 50/50 tickets and various other tinpotteries. JC also went on record as saying that he will not be seeing any money coming into the playing squad, and wouldn't want it as it spoils his ethos. So we're still tinpot there as well. The only difference is we have the stability to offer 2 year contracts now and may start to see some profit on player sales in future, instead of being grateful for £30k and a set of tracksuits for our best players.

The fact that the clubstore is utilising another webstore is neither here nor there. Fair do's if you don't like the pricing structure on there, it's not perfect - but 12 months ago nothing at all was perfect.

People spent half of last season (our greatest ever?) moaning about the fayre on offer at the pie stalls, well this year we'll be selling our own stuff and be in a position to correct anything. Let's take our small victories and roll with them.

I hardly read this forum anymore because some people seem to think if nothing has been posted for a day or two then they need to have a moan about something or nothing. You don't. Find something positive to say instead.

MikeA, Outback Ozzy, baldy and 9 others like this.
Old 10-07-2016, 18:06   #41
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

So yeh aint to comment about summat yeh dont happen to like then, may suit you, but sure as hell dont suit me, ive never been an arse kisser and too owd to start now.
Old 10-07-2016, 18:30   #42
God Member

what a surprise that you're the first to comment

who mentioned arse kissing. I really think that you, above all else, are one who should think that it's sometimes better to say nowt.
Old 10-07-2016, 18:33   #43
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccawozzagod View Post
what a surprise that you're the first to comment

who mentioned arse kissing. I really think that you, above all else, are one who should think that it's sometimes better to say nowt.
I mentioned arse kissing, as for the other yeh got no chance.
Old 10-07-2016, 18:41   #44
God Member

Nowt to say so you say summat
Old 10-07-2016, 18:47   #45
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccawozzagod View Post
Nowt to say so you say summat
You asked the question i answered it simple as. better to say few words than loads of crap imho,

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..