Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 30-12-2006, 20:11   #91
God Member

Re: Stanley v Mansfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
**** me!
Blimey thats a bit forward
Old 30-12-2006, 20:13   #92
Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
Blimey thats a bit forward

No it was a "**** me" . Not a "**** me" ........

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2006, 20:47   #93
Super Moderator

Well, I enjoyed myself this afternoon. Had a good crack with my mates on the Clayton End and I thought the way the team played (as far as conditions allowed) was very encouraging. And I'm really looking forward to the replay!
Old 30-12-2006, 22:48   #94
Senior Member+

Obviously time to raise the stakes. Let's go for a roof over the whole thing, not just the Clayton end
Old 30-12-2006, 22:54   #95
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimer View Post
Obviously time to raise the stakes. Let's go for a roof over the whole thing, not just the Clayton end

I am getting the word.....retracting...
Old 30-12-2006, 23:40   #96
Junior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiTChener View Post
As a relative 'newcomer' ( I am now in my fifth season) I do not recall any game being abandond (can't think how to spell this correctly!).... in fact, I can only recall one game when we got absolutely p***ed wet through... I think it was the pre-season Burnley friendly, if I remember rightly, a couple of years ago.

C'mon, you lot, I'd rather have a team than a roof.... buy yourselves a Stanley cagoule like thingy....
it might not be 100% weatherproof, but it certainly helped today!!

I'm in my 17th season and in all that time today was the first game to be abandoned! That said, I think the drainage has got progressively worse over the last 5 seasons. I've seen games played in far worse weather than todays and the pitch has held up ok.
Old 31-12-2006, 00:10   #97

I agree with all the previous posts and the mansfield manager about the pitch.
If it wasn't fit to play the second half on, then it wasn't fit to play on at 3 o'clock as it hadn't got any worse. We shouldn't moan (too much) as the mansfield fans lost their money and had a two hour trip home on top of it. What i did notice was that although the conditions were bad we played the ball on the deck more today then we have in the last few weeks. Bizarre!
Old 31-12-2006, 07:56   #98

I'm sure the ref must have made an inspection of the pitch before the game ? If so he must have been pretty brave to call an end to it at half time because it does sort of bring his earlier decision to play the game into question. Soon as I heard the news I felt for the fans who had paid and will have to pay again I think some gesture from the club would be welcomed at this time of year however as mentioned its not there fault either.
Shurm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2006, 09:59   #99

Just seen Stanley Site regarding reduced admission nice one.

Hope You All Have A Happy New Year
Old 31-12-2006, 10:16   #100
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shurm View Post
I'm sure the ref must have made an inspection of the pitch before the game ? If so he must have been pretty brave to call an end to it at half time because it does sort of bring his earlier decision to play the game into question. Soon as I heard the news I felt for the fans who had paid and will have to pay again I think some gesture from the club would be welcomed at this time of year however as mentioned its not there fault either.

It's not that simple. Yes he will have inspected the pitch before the game. However he also has to try and second guess ( with some help from the groundsman) how much the pitch will stand up to more rain during the match, and how persistent the rain will be. It's quite feasible for the pitch to be okay at 3pm and not fit 45 minutes later, especially when it starts cutting up and the water then stays on top. Quite a few refs were caught out by it yesterday, and watching the championship this morning quite a few more wouldn't have lasted much longer.

Ironically the rain stopped just after the game was abandoned !!
Old 31-12-2006, 10:28   #101

I never said it was simple nor did I say he made the decision on his own, I just remarked that perhaps some refs may find it difficult to abandon a game knowing full well they should have taken these factors into consideration before kick off and the decision to abandon a game must be a tough one.
Old 31-12-2006, 11:23   #102
God Member

Supposedly the ref checked with the met office before the game and they said it would be light showers for first half so although he inspected the pitch beforehand and passed it ok with (Supposed) only light showers it should have improved!!! However as all us lot know on Clayton end it did a hell of a lot more than light showers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He again checked with met office at half time and they said the showers would turn heavy for remainder of afternoon so he came out with linesmen at half time. Kicked the ball a few times and decided it was a no go if it was going to carry on raining!!

Details of above provided by Suzanne from Telegraph on her leaving do last night

I know this may come as a shock but believe it or not all views I may air on here are my own work!!!!!
harwood red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2006, 11:31   #103
Member.

With hindsight I think it was a good call. It really is one of those “what if” situations. But on the bright side we do get to go to another game and we are still a credible league two side, we just need to kick the phoenix up the arse so we can rise again.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2006, 12:39   #104

Shocking day,never should have been played,hope your facilities are better when we come again.
Spoke to your Chairman after the abandonment and he said he would be 'doing something' as regards the replay and paying again.
Dont know if this is just for away fans or was just to get us out of the ticket office.
No tickets issued before or after.
Is your Chairman an honourable man or like our CEO,a robbing dog?
If your serious about staying in the footy league your really going to have to uprate the match day facilities,dont think the weather helped but the organisation around the turnstiles and snack bar was abysmal.
Nice pub that Crown though!
jimdadstag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2006, 13:05   #105
Senior Member+

[quote=jimdadstag;358699]

Thanks.

Can't knock your facilities. Liked your Balti pie and even appreciated the dark humour of your stewards. Was it you or Notts County have quite a pretty (female) one?

6th March 1962 - They turned off the gas but nothing could extinguish the flame!
Haggis316 is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..