Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree65Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21-03-2015, 23:44   #31
Super Moderator

Re: Stanley v York.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimer View Post
Mid-table in League 2 feels pretty good given my lifetime (64 year) timescale.
...and mine too, Chimer. Remember this time 50 years ago? Div 2 Lancs Combination football at a slowly-disintegrating Peel Park?
Old 21-03-2015, 23:45   #32
Super Moderator

Quote:
Mid-table in League 2 feels pretty good given my lifetime (64 year) timescale.
...and mine too, Chimer. Remember this time 50 years ago? Lancs Combination football at a slowly-disintegrating Peel Park?
Old 22-03-2015, 01:15   #33
I am Banned

First thing where the hell do we get theses stewards from, there were a group of kids near us only looked about 10 stood there with balaclava on n cigarette in mouth, reported to a steward and they just said we've not seen it we can't do anything, secondly why the hell is Naismith still getting picked he's a useless, lazy lightweight fairy surely we have better on bench, whatever happend to bruna and rest of midfielders that coleys signed, a crowd of 1400? When half the cow shed were empty and the main stand had tons of empty seats, surely we're meant to tell the tax man less not more
Chrisr likes this.
st06nc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2015, 02:01   #34
Senior Member+

Unfortunately could not make the match today for family reasons, but, if Adam Buxton is fit again, why was he not picked or even on the bench? Or is this a case of the 'Messiah' trying to weed out all of Beattie's signings to replace with his own? Apart from the odd one or two, the team is taking shape around Coleman's signings and they aint mustard. I also agree with others, why oh why is Bruna not playing or at the very least brought on as a sub?

Piston broke owd geezer, Stanley supporter and shareholder, Retired and loving it
Addendum, the views I express on here are my own, if you don't like them: TOUGH!
Outback Ozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2015, 08:21   #35

I think everyone can see the Coalman is trying to weed out the Beattie Boys its just a shame a many of the replacements arnt up to it, and before JCs Stormtroopers come on and defend him - 4 wins in 19 games is not an improving team.
FrankMoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2015, 10:31   #36
Senior Member+

In quality terms, yesterday was the poorest match of the season at home so far!
Did someone say that Buzza was missing? The pitch was not up to his usual standard as it was very dry and the surface was quite bumpy. I would have expected Buzza to have watered it before the match and also at half time.
I am not sure about the current formation particularly defensively. Cal is good when he attacks their full backs as a winger but he is a liability when he attacks their winger from a defensive position! In my opinion Cal should be a full out winger with Pierro doing the same on t'other wing but with them allowed to switch wings too! Pierro was our biggest threat again yesterday even though he didn't get that much ball.
Terry did quite well first half until he took a heavy knock. He was a ghost in the second half and we should have subbed him by 55 minutes with Shay coming on.
I believe that it is our midfield where we are weakest. We lack any real combativity and pace and the number of times this season that I have seen us concede goals when opposing players have waltzed 50 to 60 yards straight down our centre highlights this deficiency. We have played our best and got our best results when we have defended with a higher line with our midfield 'pressing' our opponents in their own half.
We need proper full backs.....Liddle on the left and Deano on the right with Rob and young Jones at centre back with crooks as the deep midfielder to help defensively with headers from their goal kicks and long clearances.
Maguire played better in the first half yesterday but drifted out of the game later on.
Well, it was a poor match but at least we didn't lose and we gained another point towards safety.
ON STANLEY ON
choirboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2015, 11:09   #37
Resting in Peace

I agree with most of what you say, Choirboy, but no combativeness in midfield? Come on, you had better not let Joyce and Proccy hear you saying that! I think your dislike of Luke Joyce is clouding your judgement. He is an absolute dynamo in midfield, makes more ball winning tackles than any other of our players and is the fulcrum of most of our attacks. No, in my opinion, our biggest failing is in the last quarter of the field where we time and again waste possession in and around the box. How many times did we test the York keeper yesterday in spite of all our pressing? I can't think of one shot he had to save. From what I have seen Bruna has the quality to unlock defences but never gets the nod. Maybe he doesn't understand Scouse? McCarten too isn't afraid to run at defenders with real venom and finish, but giving him only 3 minutes on the pitch is ludicrous.
cashman, Revived Red and Chrisr like this.
Redraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2015, 11:32   #38
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMoody View Post
I think everyone can see the Coalman is trying to weed out the Beattie Boys its just a shame a many of the replacements arnt up to it, and before JCs Stormtroopers come on and defend him - 4 wins in 19 games is not an improving team.
Funny things, statistics - 3 wins in 9 or 8 in 24 would sound much better, and are equally true. I'll get my helmet ..........
Old 22-03-2015, 11:34   #39
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Funny things, statistics - 3 wins in 9 or 8 in 24 would sound much better, and are equally true. I'll get my helmet ..........
None of em sound that great imho.
Chrisr likes this.
Old 22-03-2015, 11:52   #40
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Disagree, to me the attendance figure suggests we aint winning. A winning side anywhere n crowds come.
1.21 point per game this season compared to 1.24 last season, no notable difference in form but significant attendance drops.

Last year over 2k for this fixture, yet below 1,500 this year.

Who will be loaned out next to balance the books?
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2015, 12:03   #41
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post
1.21 point per game this season compared to 1.24 last season, no notable difference in form but significant attendance drops.

Last year over 2k for this fixture, yet below 1,500 this year.

Who will be loaned out next to balance the books?
The overall figures shown on here the other week, indicated very little difference in attendances, Yer highlighting 1 fixture, that aint very significant?
Old 22-03-2015, 12:09   #42

York had 5 ( possibly 6 ? ) shots in the first 10 minutes ......... one being nearer to hitting the "Control Box" in the corner than the goal , looked a nailed on 0 - 0 at half time !

What worries me is that not that long ago we had players prepared to shoot from distance at any given opportunity , now we are "trying to do a Arsenal" and score the perfect goal .

Poor game in terms of the quality on the pitch but strangely I found it very entertaining in the end ( thanks to the late goal ! )
peter9001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2015, 12:46   #43
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
The overall figures shown on here the other week, indicated very little difference in attendances, Yer highlighting 1 fixture, that aint very significant?
177 difference is significant between the seasons averages before this game, but what is more worrying is a downward trend in the mean throughout the season. York was citied as one of the good attendances coming up but still ended up well below last season's average.

The extra £3 won't make up for the drop in gates, and fans get into the habit of not going.

Anecdotal feedback from casual fans I have spoken too who haven't gone this season is mainly due to the price hike. The big mistake was not announcing match day prices when season tickets were being sold at £200, I suspect many more fans would have bought season tickets if they knew what going to happen, rather than not just turn up.

I'm pretty sure the club has real concerns about covering its costs hence the fund raising has started doing. Newport on Friday isn't likely to help given the clash already highlighted, but at least the trains are running for Carlisle to bring a few and hopefully sunshine on Easter Monday with no fixture clashes from local clubs.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2015, 13:15   #44
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post

Anecdotal feedback from casual fans I have spoken too who haven't gone this season is mainly due to the price hike. The big mistake was not announcing match day prices when season tickets were being sold at £200, I suspect many more fans would have bought season tickets if they knew what going to happen, rather than not just turn up.
Thats a point i certainly agree wi, about the price not being announced wi the season ticket price, n i hope the club take that on board fer next term, York last season were in wi good shout of promotion, as opposed to a chance of oblivion this term, so that would certainly impact on attendance from yon i reckon.
baldy likes this.
Old 22-03-2015, 13:34   #45

There are probably many reasons for the drop in attendances. The fixtures still clash with the Blackburn ones even though Blackburn are no longer in the Premiership however Burnley are away and in the Premiership. This means that Burnley fans can "watch" the away games online via many of the dodgy streams for 3 pm kick offs. Anecdotal evidence suggests this as I heard a couple of Burnley fans saying that yesterday in the pub.

Midweek games are going against Blackburn home games and live champions league games on ITV. Given the choice most "neutrals" would probably rather watch TV champions league games than head to the Crown to watch Accy on a cold, wet and windy night especially given the Spartan facilities at the ground.

We have to stop convincing ourselves that our name alone will attract people. Some people I have met on my travels didn't even know we were a real team. We have been in the league for 9 seasons now and probably have the longest continuous spell in Leage 2 at the moment as everybody else has either been promoted or relegated. A visit to the crown ground is no longer the novelty it once was for away fans or ground hoppers. If we had played Man Utd then that might have sparked some interest locally but it wasn't to be.

This is probably the first time ever our games are almost meaningless now. We won't challenge for the playoffs and we look safe from relegation, although there is a very outside chance we could get dragged back into it but I doubt it. Meaningless games can lead to poor performances since the results don't appear to matter too much. The way we have been playing recently I might have had second thoughts about Friday if I hadn't booked my day off, train ticket and had a flexiticket. I will be there but I'm not a neutral though and if I had watched most of our recent games as a neutral it would probably have been different.

It's easy to blame the price when the football is poor, the weather is bad and there is something better on TV in the pub. It's easier to say I'm not paying that to watch it when you really mean you can't be bothered. The only magic formula to attract the crowds back is to win games and play exciting football. At the moment we are struggling to do either.
AccyMad likes this.
deeayess is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..