Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree65Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 24-03-2015, 15:22   #76

Re: Stanley v York.

Quote:
Originally Posted by football19 View Post
I am a fan of Joycy and a lot of his work goes unnoticed .
For me he's the "glue" that keeps the shape of the team and when others get caught out of position he has to make split second decisions as to stick or twist.
He has a lot more in his locker but plays for the team,hence he's first name on the team sheet.
Hes experienced and knows the game,indeed he's a qualified coach !!!,and he's tougher than people think
I would like to see him bursting forward but that's not his job in the system we are playing and he is capable of scoring from outside the area as well
Seem's us Wigan based Accy fans are of the same viewpoint on this !

Much better positioned to play "more upfront" when Proccy is in the team as well ....... we might have to battle it out to get over the finish line in the next few weeks ? Should be safe but the sooner the next 6 points are on the board then the happier I'll be .
peter9001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 24-03-2015, 18:53   #77
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraine View Post
You say:-"Luke Joyce was beaten in a heading duel and then left for pace for York's second goal on saturday by one of their players running with the ball, who then laid the ball off to their right . winger, our central defence was stretched and exposed yet again".
Have another look at that mate. That is really unfair. Luke actually won the heading duel, but because he was defending too far up the pitch (!!!) he had no chance to get back and tackle the guy who made the run for them and who had a head start on him. There were plenty of our defenders falling over each other in the box and their final ball into the box should have been cut out, so to blame it all on Luke is frankly ridiculous. Perhaps he should have been defending deeper?!
Cheers for Friday and I'll let you know about Morecambe later. The spirit's willing, but.........
Mike. I am not blaming Luke for anything. He clearly tries his best and works very hard all the time and is totally committed to the cause. What I am trying to say is that he could be more effective if he played, or was told to play, differently. ie. In a higher midfield line further up the pitch....'If possible, defend in your opponents half not in our half'. Old saying...... "Attack is the best form of defence".
In the example of York's second goal under discussion...I don't understand how can you say that Luke 'won' the heading duel when he headed the ball straight to an opponent, who then ran fully 45 yards upfield with Luke in his wake. Luke may have got his head to the ball but it went straight to an opponent as it so often does and does with Procky too. Yes, the York lad had a slight start but a player running without the ball should be able to adequately make up ground over 45 yards on a player dribbling with the ball. The final part of the movement for the goal was clever passing by the York forwards and had we finished a move like that we would be chuffed to bits and shouting 'super football'. Of course it is also about picking players who complement each other and who offer different qualities, especially so in midfield. It is good that Josh Windass is starting to get on the score sheet but I feel that he too could play more effectively if he were to try to do the simpler pass instead of trying to produce that difficult 'wonder' pass that we occasionally see from the very top players in the Premier League. When Josh gets the ball he should be thinking of only two things in my view; a) Can I shoot? (Because I do have the power and technique). Or b) I'll just get the ball to Pierro, let him do the 'setting up', and then I'll get into the box to pick up any mishaps from their defenders.
I have thought that for the last two seasons we have not had enough 'shots from outside the box'. Procky scored some super goals of this type in the early part of his career with us but rarely attempts a power drive at all these days.
Just a few of my thoughts on midfield tactics.....but then again I am never going to be a manager!
ON STANLEY ON
choirboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2015, 20:10   #78
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

I think we dont shoot enough when the opportunity presents itself, too often we try to walk the ball in, or pass backwards, dont matter if they miss, but law of averages to me say we will score more by doing so?
Wynonie Harris likes this.
Old 24-03-2015, 20:41   #79
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
I think we dont shoot enough when the opportunity presents itself, too often we try to walk the ball in, or pass backwards, dont matter if they miss, but law of averages to me say we will score more by doing so?
Agreed, we seem to spend too much time timidly tapping it around in front of the goal. More full-blooded shooting is called for!
cashman likes this.
Old 24-03-2015, 20:56   #80

Our shots at goal would put us in the playoffs
Goals scored puts us in about our current league position
But our goals against puts us bottom!!!

FootStats - Complete UK Football Statistics Analysis - League Tables

You cannot read everything from stats, but they make interesting reading
johnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2015, 21:05   #81
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

I have never been a big stat fan Johnc, but i know what i see frequently every week. Did our management not say recently, it was the best defence hed ever worked wi?
Old 24-03-2015, 21:22   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
I have never been a big stat fan Johnc, but i know what i see frequently every week. Did our management not say recently, it was the best defence hed ever worked wi?
He did, but you also said you would never go again with JC as manager

Sometimes we all say things
johnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2015, 21:40   #83
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnc View Post
He did, but you also said you would never go again with JC as manager

Sometimes we all say things
Can yeh find that John? I can't remember saying it, this owd age is a bitch.
Old 25-03-2015, 07:36   #84
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by choirboy View Post
.I don't understand how can you say that Luke 'won' the heading duel when he headed the ball straight to an opponent, who then ran fully 45 yards upfield with Luke in his wake./B][/COLOR]
Bob, you need to get a new TV, mate. Luke DID win his heading duel(dictionary definition "combat between 2 persons"), and the "opponent who then ran" did nothing of the sort, but headed the ball back past Luke to the guy who actually made the run with Luke stranded yards behind. You seem to be implying that Luke should be taking on the whole of the York defence on his own! If you are making your judgement based on where the ball ends up after a heading duel, then fair enough, our defence was caught out, but even such great headers of the ball as Paul Mullin was lucky if 50% of his headers found a team mate, and some of our defenders make an art of heading the ball straight up in the air! I really do know you don't actually dislike Joyce as a person, although your comments in the heat of a game sometimes make me wonder! I just think you are scapegoating him for the team's problems, and it appears the consensus on this thread puts you in a minority of one!
Redraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2015, 17:29   #85
Senior Member+

Hi Mike,
Regarding the dictionary definition you quoted of a "duel".... "combat between 2 persons".
I don't think that Luke was trying to kill one of the York players. At least I hope not!
I also looked up the definiton of a Duel and found this; "Duel" .... "A confrontion between two persons, groups or ideologies".
Surely in the context of a football match the part of the definition that applies is the bit referring to... "confrontation between two groups" ie football teams. With the reason for entering into a 'Heading Duel' being to either; a) Win possession of the ball,.....and/or, b) Stop your opponents attacking your defenders.
So clearly in the context of a football match we lost the 'Heading duel' on both counts.
We could make a right 'good'pair of politicians the way we seem to be able to make 'words' mean whatever we want!
Anyway, we will both be 100% behind Luke and the team, whoever is picked, for tonights important match against Newport.
See you at 7.15pm.
ON STANLEY ON
Redraine likes this.
choirboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..