Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-05-2011, 22:54   #61
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Stevenage Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraine View Post
Well we won't be able to pass the ball around their massed defence, so we need Putterill and Turner on from the start. They are both capable of having the strength to take men on and burst through the tackles, which Craney and Macca were plainly incapable of tonight. It's muck or nettles now.
That i can go wi happily, doubt very much if the Messiah will though.
Old 15-05-2011, 23:37   #62
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraine View Post
Well we won't be able to pass the ball around their massed defence, so we need Putterill and Turner on from the start. They are both capable of having the strength to take men on and burst through the tackles, which Craney and Macca were plainly incapable of tonight.
We need Turner to play, quite simply because he's the one player we have that can put quality crosses into the box. And like you say he's not frightened of running at defenders, something which was lacking for the first hour or so tonight.

But by playing Turner, Coleman would have to a) have a change of heart, seeing as Turner didn't even make the bench tonight & b) change the formation....something that he seems quite reluctant to do.

Personally I'd go for 4-4-2 with wide men (Turner being a definate starter) with both wide men looking to get down either flank as much as possible and get in and behind them. Stevenage looked quite comfortable when the ball was played around in front of them, but get them backpeddling and it might just be a different story. Who to play up top with Gornell....for me Lindfield.

I'd go for a starting Line up of :

Cisak
Winnard, Edwards, Long, Jacobson
Turner, Proctor, Joyce, Ryan
Lindfield, Gornell.

Out go Hessey (struggled in aerial challenges against the guy who looked like Shrek...Charles was it???) McConville (too lightweight and doesn't seem to have the big game mentality required) and Craney (we can't afford to carry passengers in a must win game if he's not fit)

Your considered thoughts, Ladies and Gentlemen

Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill.
carpon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2011, 00:33   #63
Junior Member+

Hi guys,

caught the game today as was live into Australia. Not the end of the world but defending was terrible. Was obviously interested to see how Cisak would go. thought he was prob your best along with your LB jacobson. Although he could have done better, 2nd goal not his fault can't let opp run in box like that. Was impressed with his hands, dealing with crosses and he sweeps very well. he did well to continue i thought after injury in 1st half.

What were mcconville and ryan doing?

Stevenage were value for the win sorry to say.
socceroo fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2011, 06:00   #64

I agree Carpon but doubt he will drop his chosen ones. Food for thought though. Cant believe Turner wasnt on the bench when he's one of the only ones that can offer something different to a game albeit if you have to change a formation. He runs at players and showed last week what a difference he can make when he runs at players. JC must have looked at his bench last night and saw too many like for like players that couldnt offer anything different. Stevenage are a big strong side and we simply didnt turn up, in strength or passion. Its gonna be a long wait till friday.
new red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2011, 08:51   #65

Having watched the game we just didn't turn up. Second to every ball, hardly won a header all over the pitch. Mc Conville should have scored his one on one, Ryan should have scored when the ball ran loose. Gornalls came to him quickly but on another day he would heve scored. Lets all get down there on Friday. They cant play any better, and we certainly cant play any worse.I dont expect to many changes just a better all round performance, and a great atmosphere.
Long time red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2011, 08:58   #66
Senior Member+

went to game and watched it on tv when i got back,and Coleys match summary was spot on.
Accis system has been set in stone all season,and its not hard to come up with a game plan.
They just did what Oxford did,two up front ,push the widemaen on the fullbacks and stop them playing from the back.
Therefore its then important that we hold the ball up and be strong,Gornell and Craney didnt ,this turned the game into a phsysical battle and we havent got the size or players for that.
Sean mac had a nightmare(along with a few others),and it started with him not tracking the runner for the first goal and finished with a good block from a jimmy ryan freekick.(and missing a sitter in between).
Ironically there two dangermen ( the two widemen) were there least effective players.
The tie is not over with yet,and Acci will not roll over at home,
ps i predicted a 2-0 to them !!! ,and the game panned out more or less how i expected,with the exception of a few half hearted displays
football19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2011, 09:03   #67
Resting in Peace

I watched the game and was very disappointed, I hope they can hit back very quickly on Friday and put doubts in the minds of the opposition, the longer it goes without Stanley scoring the more confident Stevenage will get
Old 16-05-2011, 09:08   #68
Senior Member+

The pity is that some people who don't watch Stanley on a regular basis, but watched last night on telly, are judging the team on that performance. There a lot better than that, and I'm convinced they'll show that on Friday night. I would also stick with the same team for Friday.There the lads don't forget, that have got us in to the playoffs.
Bernard Dawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2011, 09:26   #69
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard Dawson View Post
The pity is that some people who don't watch Stanley on a regular basis, but watched last night on telly, are judging the team on that performance. There a lot better than that, and I'm convinced they'll show that on Friday night. I would also stick with the same team for Friday.There the lads don't forget, that have got us in to the playoffs.
You can only judge on what you see, and with all the great reports I get on here and from eye witnesses, last nights performance wasn't up to there usual standards, its not a matter of being convinced they play better on Friday, they'll have to full stop
Old 16-05-2011, 09:33   #70
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
You can only judge on what you see, and with all the great reports I get on here and from eye witnesses, last nights performance wasn't up to there usual standards, its not a matter of being convinced they play better on Friday, they'll have to full stop
That's right, but all I would ask is that people don't judge them and one performance. And people also should never ever forget the remarkable achievements of the club in the last few years.
Bernard Dawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2011, 09:38   #71
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard Dawson View Post
That's right, but all I would ask is that people don't judge them and one performance. And people also should never ever forget the remarkable achievements of the club in the last few years.
Nobodies forgetting anything its you getting your knickers in a twist as usual
Old 16-05-2011, 09:39   #72
Full Member+

Stevenage wanted to win this more than us or at least thats how it appeared to me. I also say Stanley play much better in red and white.
Greeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2011, 09:54   #73
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpon View Post
Still 2-0 down at half time

And it's only 2-0.

Everybody is going on about Sean's missed chance but think about how many Stevenage should have had. Who's going to be sorry for the missed chances the most
Old 16-05-2011, 09:57   #74
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
And it's only 2-0.

Everybody is going on about Sean's missed chance but think about how many Stevenage should have had. Who's going to be sorry for the missed chances the most
Might get a better idea about 9-45pm on Friday Dave hope its the southern softies
Old 16-05-2011, 09:58   #75
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Might get a better idea about 9-45pm on Friday Dave hope its the southern softies
I reckon it might get to about 11pm

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..