Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16-05-2011, 09:59   #76
Resting in Peace

Re: Stevenage Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
I reckon it might get to about 11pm
Why do they play half an hour each way in extra time
Old 16-05-2011, 10:01   #77
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Why do they play half an hour each way in extra time

You missed the penalties off
Old 16-05-2011, 10:09   #78
Resting in Peace

Quote:
You missed the penalties off
Oh gosh how silly of me
ya like your pound of flesh dave
Old 16-05-2011, 10:11   #79

We froze on the Big Occasion..then so did Shrewsbury at Torquay ...Man U at Blackburn..Arsenal at Wembley cup final ..These things just happen to the best..
JC4LAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2011, 10:15   #80
Senior Member+

Dont forget Stevenage have the best defensive record in the league,and bullied Newcastle in the cup,so 2-0 is not a disaster.
Thought the ref was also poor,he let go all the pushing and shoving,jumping into the man etc.. which turned the game into a battle.
Considering it was on sky,i would have expected a lot of this to be punished,as it spoiled it as a viewing spectacle,and the higher up the leagues you go,the less you see of it
football19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2011, 10:19   #81
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Agree the ref was very poor, that detracts from the fact we were poorer.
Old 16-05-2011, 10:20   #82
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by football19 View Post
,and the higher up the leagues you go,the less you see of it
You are joking arn't you
Old 16-05-2011, 10:22   #83
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by football19 View Post
and the higher up the leagues you go,the less you see of it

Thats because the higher up the leagues you go they tend to have dived before getting near the man
Old 16-05-2011, 10:25   #84
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Thats because the higher up the leagues you go they tend to have dived before getting near the man
You've been watching too many Portuguese and Mexicans in Red shirts Dave
Old 16-05-2011, 10:28   #85
God Member

We let Stevenage bully us, no doubt about it. I never thought I'd see a Stanley team so lacking in fight and hunger. We were not up for the game at all.

Moving on to the second leg, we've won 3-0 at home against far better teams than Stevenage this season, but we have made things really difficult for ourselves. The mental wall of being 2-0 down may be too much to get past for our young and inexperienced squad.

Feeling really dejected after yesterday. Could not have predicted that.
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2011, 10:33   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard Dawson View Post
The pity is that some people who don't watch Stanley on a regular basis, but watched last night on telly, are judging the team on that performance. There a lot better than that, and I'm convinced they'll show that on Friday night. I would also stick with the same team for Friday.There the lads don't forget, that have got us in to the playoffs.
My feelings entirely. I've had no end of people telling me this morning that Stanley's performance was the "worst they've ever seen". A bit over the top perhaps, but i'd been telling anyone who'd listen to watch the match and view a pure footballing display. Just did'nt expect the "big" players to completely bottle it.
Larry Lobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2011, 10:48   #87
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Lobster View Post
but i'd been telling anyone who'd listen to watch the match and view a pure footballing display. Just did'nt expect the "big" players to completely bottle it.
Nail on the head yon Larry IMHO, lets just hope Lightening dont strike twice. whilst i'm very disappointed though, it dont detract from fact, no-one i know expected em to be top end of table pre-season, so whatever the score on friday night, the lads have had a brilliant season fer my money.
Old 16-05-2011, 11:12   #88

I was at the match and thought their number 4 upfront was excellent.

I still think we've got a good chance of going through though. If we're one nil up at any point Stevenage will get shaky...They won't like the pitch at our place, they won't like the Clayton End's support for the reds, they won't like the dressing room, they'll have in the back of their minds' that we are excellent at home, they'll know that everyone in the country will be rooting for us, their away fans won't spur them on....I could go on.

Also every Graham Westley side is ill-disciplined -- one season at Stevenage they had 13 or 14 red cards if I remember rightly -- and the one type of football where you can't afford lots of yellows and maybe a sending off is cup football.

Also what you need to remember is if Stevenage go into the match trying to defend what they've got, we will be camped in their half for the majority of the game. They can't keep hold of the football like we can, so unless they look to press us like they did at their place, which they won't because they're away from home and know that they're not good enough to pass the ball, we're going to make chances.

I think the key for us is to start fast. Whenever they're on the ball we need to close them down and stop the delivery to their front man being any good. We will score against Stevenage, so if we can stop their only threat - their physical front 2 - we have one hell of a chance!

My prediction is a 3-1 win for us having passed the one-dimensional Stevenage to death....and then I've no idea what'll happen after that.

Unfortunately I can't make the home leg - I live in Southampton now. But here's hoping for another big night at the Crown.

Harry Potter
Potter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2011, 11:21   #89
God Member

Going thro this thread reports of symbols & language as a mod I have to remove it, despite context of passion im afraid - can people curb it & express frustration politely as one gets it in the neck for not controlling the section as to forum rules, please see these at top of Stanley section if unsure.

ACCRINGTON STANLEY MAD!

Stanleymad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2011, 11:24   #90

Second to every ball, they won every 50-50 and were the better side on the day purely because we played right into their hands. Trying to play physical against them lot aint going to get you no where but most of the time thats exactly what we tried to do, the very rare times we got the ball on the deck and passed abit we did look quite dangerous but that didnt happen no were near as much as we should.

Its only half time though, early goal friday and its wide open again

AccyAggro is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..