Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree34Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18-10-2017, 09:25   #46
God Member

Re: Stevenage Match Thread.

I wasn't there but, based on Saturday's game against Coventry I think we should keep the same starting eleven & use last night's disappointment as a catalyst against Crewe - there were a few strange results last night with the bottom three winning against higher opposition, couldn't help but think of my conversation with a Coventry fan after our game who said "after that result thank god we've got Forest Green at home on Tuesday, we're bound to win that" . . . . . erm, no! Doesn't always go to plan as we well know, roll on Saturday!
Personally, I blame the new strip
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 18-10-2017, 10:16   #47
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom D View Post

Also don't think it's time for panic stations yet. If we had been offered this position at beginning on the season, think everyone would have taken it, given how poorly we started last season.
By the same token it'd be a shame to do nothing and possibly let this great opportunity pass us by.

Jacksons obviously not fit so Wilks or Edwards should be a straight replacement.

Rawson did little wrong but is another loanee so if he comes in another would have to drop out.

Strydek should be fit, but again is another loanee ...

Would like to see McLeod get a couple of games, decent wide pitch at Crewe would suit him.
Chrisr likes this.
Old 18-10-2017, 10:28   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccawozzagod View Post
By the same token it'd be a shame to do nothing and possibly let this great opportunity pass us by.

Jacksons obviously not fit so Wilks or Edwards should be a straight replacement.

Rawson did little wrong but is another loanee so if he comes in another would have to drop out.

Strydek should be fit, but again is another loanee ...

Would like to see McLeod get a couple of games, decent wide pitch at Crewe would suit him.
I meant let's not get too downhearted after last night not don't make changes. Agree, with above - if we could somehow make 1 loan a permanent deal would make life easier. McLeod for Clark.

6 points from next 2 games puts us well back on track, 4 points wouldn't be a disaster.
Tom D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2017, 10:45   #49

Re: McLeod for Clark.

Seems a bit harsh after a goal and an assist in 2 games (tho did not see him last night). How about McLeod for Jackson? Can't be good for the lad playing through whatever injury he's got.
Inspector Morse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2017, 10:56   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector Morse View Post
Re: McLeod for Clark.

Seems a bit harsh after a goal and an assist in 2 games (tho did not see him last night). How about McLeod for Jackson? Can't be good for the lad playing through whatever injury he's got.
Maybe. Clark has probably been the weakest link in the 4 attacking players so far, despite the goal and assist. He does seem to be able to beat the first defender, then either keep his head down and run into trouble, or unable to put in a decent cross. Not saying he's been dreadful, just not fantastic. Maybe Sousa deserves a chance.
Chrisr and Inspector Morse like this.
Old 18-10-2017, 11:00   #51
God Member

Couldn't make the game last night but, from the agonies of following the 'live' text and others comments, including Professor Coleman, it seems that the problem wasn't the right wing; it was the defence.
As Inspector Morse noted, Clark scored the goal last night and laid on Saturday's winner.
There are options available in defence, so imagine that's where changes will be made.
Midfield changes are more problematic. Scott Brown can be very effective in getting the ball, but he's not the most creative.
Playing an injured Jackson does seem to be a risky strategy. Unless his 'injury' is one that will never improve, I'd rather see him rested so that, when he does play, he's at his best.
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2017, 11:07   #52
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Cannot agree oer Clark, think Jackos injury aint doing anyone any favours, needs resting until everything clears, shame but thats life.
AccyMad, Chrisr and monkey hanger like this.
Old 18-10-2017, 11:52   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile on Spencer St View Post
Couldn't make the game last night but, from the agonies of following the 'live' text and others comments, including Professor Coleman, it seems that the problem wasn't the right wing; it was the defence.
As Inspector Morse noted, Clark scored the goal last night and laid on Saturday's winner.
There are options available in defence, so imagine that's where changes will be made.
Midfield changes are more problematic. Scott Brown can be very effective in getting the ball, but he's not the most creative.
Playing an injured Jackson does seem to be a risky strategy. Unless his 'injury' is one that will never improve, I'd rather see him rested so that, when he does play, he's at his best.
True, but defence also relies on possession, and losing the ball in a decent attacking position whilst the rest of the team is far up the pitch can really hurt your team.

Or maybe this is all meaningless conjecture and Coleman will undermine himself and put out the same team like he does every week!
Old 18-10-2017, 12:18   #54
God Member

You know what's so refreshing in this thread - of all the changes that have been suggested as possibilities, no-one has mentioned Sean McConville - maybe he's doing enough at the minute to win over any of his doubters, long may it continue
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2017, 12:32   #55
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccyMad View Post
You know what's so refreshing in this thread - of all the changes that have been suggested as possibilities, no-one has mentioned Sean McConville - maybe he's doing enough at the minute to win over any of his doubters, long may it continue
All any of us want from him is consistency, and that seems to have happened. defo long may it continue.
Old 18-10-2017, 15:17   #56

Sean has been playing pretty well since about Feb/March - corners have dramatically improved, and now chipping in with the occasional goal to his assists. Can't see him losing his spot.
monkey hanger likes this.
Old 18-10-2017, 17:44   #57
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom D View Post
Sean has been playing pretty well since about Feb/March - corners have dramatically improved, and now chipping in with the occasional goal to his assists. Can't see him losing his spot.
Our thoughts exactly,from back end of last season we thought hes certainly picked up.
Old 18-10-2017, 18:01   #58

If I recall, our excellent first half against Coventry was very much a product of working hard when not in possession and plenty of movement when we were. First half last night we were very effective with the ball and posed them enough problems for them to ever get going.

In both second halfs my impression is of them getting more control on the match. Our defence holding firm. Ok, last night we shipped three goals but I'm not sure these were attributable to the defence.

I think our problems, such as they are, are midfield related. Can't say either midfielder is a bad player - in fact, at times they play well - I just have my doubts whether they are strong enough to keep the overall energy of the team going 90 mins week after week.

I don't think Brown is the answer. I don't think there is an answer, apart from somehow adapting the team to compensate.

Maybe Coley has in mind getting more out of them by an Exocet up the rear end in the form of dropping the pair of them....or maybe I'm way off the mark and his godlike genius will move in other mysterious ways.
Lord Didsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2017, 18:26   #59
Full Member+

I think coley was right in his post match interview when he said some players have become to comfortable. I wold suggest he has a good long look at his striker options. We have a potentially excellent strike force on the bench, We also have some decent players like Malki and our own academy players like Ogle who can play at this level and just need the chance. We have the players, We need the game plan and a plan B. We can still win promotion if we keep the faith. After Christmas is the time to take serious stock of our real chances.
monkey hanger likes this.
Chrisr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2017, 19:12   #60
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Think he was referring to Mid-field meself,? as fer strikers i only see jacko who seems NOT to be over his injury.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..