Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree45Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-02-2018, 09:25   #31
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Stevenage Match Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyd View Post
Think young Sousa deserves a bit more game time looked full of energy and played very well against some experienced defenders.
should start tuesday if clarkies still injured i reckon.
Lord Stiffupperlip likes this.
Old 04-02-2018, 09:44   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Didsbury View Post
Lord Stiff - have a look at Football Genius John Coleman’s post match interview. Seems he agrees with my assessment.
You don't need to be a football genius to work out we're conceding too many goals - 6 in the last 3 games.
Having also watched the tv highlights, I must agree that their two goals were the result of individual blunders.
However, whilst I'm not blaming Chapman, both goals were from low shots at the edge of the box & could have been saved by a keeper with quicker reactions.
If Maxted is capable of making 2 outstanding saves from the penalty-spot, perhaps it's time we gave him an opportunity.
I'm no football genius, but on Tuesday night I'd be re-instating Big Ben at centre back at the expense of Hughes.
I'd also switch the Don to R.B. to feed Clark/Sousa, keeping Rodgers & Dunne to complete the back four.
If Conneely is fit, I'd drop Brown, who despite his terrier qualities, is too easily dispossessed.
We all know we can score goals but we've got to stop conceding them.
Lord Stiffupperlip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 10:02   #33
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

only Swindon @ Wycombe conceded more than us in top 7. Defo need to tighten up a bit i reckon.
monkey hanger likes this.
Old 04-02-2018, 10:16   #34
Senior Member+

Although it cost me £40,I was sure I’d get it back after the game at a £1 a pint.
A lost never entered my head,even at 2-0 down
Stevenages game plan of pressing the ball all over the pitch reaped rewards in the first half,helped by a tricky surface’they even stopped us playing out from the back.
They simply started to run out of gas,this coupled with a Coley rocket,and the quality of Acci eventually come through.
My only surprise is Kayden didn’t score as to press the ball,you have to hold an high line,which is playing right into his hands.
On a more serious note,why was half of Acci in the supporters bar after the game ?,spoiled my planned celebration!!!
football19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 10:18   #35
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
only Swindon @ Wycombe conceded more than us in top 7. Defo need to tighten up a bit i reckon.
we will need to on tuesday night as swindon have a really good away record. need to get some clean sheets and nick a goal like we did against coventry.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 10:21   #36
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey hanger View Post
we will need to on tuesday night as swindon have a really good away record. need to get some clean sheets and nick a goal like we did against coventry.
Yep Swindon have won 10 away matches,we only won 9 at home.
Old 04-02-2018, 12:56   #37
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey hanger View Post
I fully agree monkeyhanger.
A 'clean sheet' on Tuesday is our first priority.
Then we only need to score one goal. Two would be great.
We are always capable of scoring in any match home or away but we must try to strop gifting our opponents these silly give away presents.
choirboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 15:10   #38

What is the general feeling about Nolan?
anmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 15:18   #39
God Member

Smile Re: Stevenage Match Thread

Do not know the 'general' feeling is, but I rate him

As I see it, he does a lot of things that go under the radar and that people do not notice.

His first season in the League, he will get better and stronger
chevyfire likes this.

18 Years in the Football League

https://onstanleyon.com/sean-mcconville-testimonial/
VALAIRIAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 15:35   #40
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Steady is what i think of him.
Old 04-02-2018, 16:06   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by anmc View Post
What is the general feeling about Nolan?
I thought he was very poor yesterday and completely at fault for second goal. Struggles with mobility for me
Old 04-02-2018, 17:51   #42

Nolan is a young lad with all the attributes to be a good football league player. Makes bad choices sometimes like yesterday. He needs to be more positive and play the ball away from goal when in dangerous areas not towards it. Looks like he will need this season to improve. I hope Coley sticks with him.
cashman and monkey hanger like this.
Crown Grounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 18:01   #43
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Agree with crown grounder, though think he should not be played every week. at the moment think its too much.
Old 04-02-2018, 19:12   #44
Senior Member+

Just read a great interview on the 'Fishy Site' with centre-back Jimmy Dunne.
It was nice for him to express his gratitude to the support from the fans on Saturday.
I thought that we in the Clayton End were a bit slow in getting going in the early part of the first half but ironically, it took us to go two goals behind before we started to sing fully and get behind the team. That was a clear expression of the fans total 'BELIEF' in the team to get back into the game. This was boosted tremendously by Sean's ABSOLUTELY PERFECT FREE KICK' for our first goal at such a critical time on the stroke of half time. The Channel 5 coverage didn't do it justice IMHO. In discussion at half time with friends the feeling was that we could definitely still win the match and I do BELIEVE that the players felt the same way too.
Jimmy Dunne highlighted this in his interview and his appreciation of the support from the fans was wonderful to hear. Young Jimmy had a great game too. You could see what it meant to the players at the end as Billy and Sean and the others came up to the Clayton End to show their appreciation and admiration for our support. For me it was BRILLIANT to see the big FLAGS come out and I am sure that the players would love to see them more often. It reminded me of the best days of THE STANLEY ULTRAS a few years ago.
I really do think that the show of the flags and colour added to the singing together make the difference of that of a "TWELFTH MAN" in the critical stages of a season. So come on all ULTRAS in the Clayton End........ FLAGS.......BANNERS.....and NOISE....to the MAXIMUM starting on Tuesday v Swindon.
ON STANLEY ON
UPWARDS AND ONWARDS

Last edited by choirboy; 04-02-2018 at 19:19.
choirboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 20:57   #45
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Yep Swindon have won 10 away matches,we only won 9 at home.
Come 10pm Tues 10 each
AccyMad likes this.
ferret man is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..