Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree45Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2018, 10:37   #1
Senior Member+

Stevenage Match Thread

can I start with a Question: I see young Tom Reilly has stepped up to the senior squad. I watched him a few times and was very impressed. does anyone know what squad No. he's been given
accybeme is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 03-02-2018, 11:02   #2
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Stevenage Match Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by accybeme View Post
can I start with a Question: I see young Tom Reilly has stepped up to the senior squad. I watched him a few times and was very impressed. does anyone know what squad No. he's been given
the lad will probably be "Left Outside" as others have. hope not,but not holding me breath.
Old 03-02-2018, 15:43   #3

0-2 down before half time. Promotion slowly slipping away
Old 03-02-2018, 15:56   #4

1 back from a Macco free kick. Lifeline....
Crown Grounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 16:42   #5

Come on Stanley 3-2 up!
Crown Grounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 16:57   #6
God Member

STOP IT !!!...This "Lets be 0-2 down at HT" attitude is not good for my health. However, the FT score is making my day. Good onya STANLEY.
choirboy and monkey hanger like this.
Kiwi John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 17:01   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav1d View Post
0-2 down before half time. Promotion slowly slipping away

Knew I would eat humble pie, great result! What a comeback
Kiwi John likes this.
Old 03-02-2018, 17:19   #8

Another vital 3 points. Stevenage seemed to score there goals with ease first half (they are a better passing side than in Westley era). Are leaders bought us back into it (excellent mcconville free kick and kee). In truth either side had chances to score again but this year we seem to be mainly coming out on top in these situations. Jimmy dunne looked the part at the back. His pace helping Hughes out although I think Richards-everton is abit unlucky to be rested. We looked better after the substitution Sousa causing problems. Johnson is a better right back than right midfield. Kayden was a threat all afternoon if he was a better finisher he would be playing at a higher level. Other players all performed as have come to expect. Scott brown I find at times concerning but other times very effective! Vital 2 weeks ahead hopefully churning out more 3 point results!

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk
chevyfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 17:38   #9
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi John View Post
STOP IT !!!...This "Lets be 0-2 down at HT" attitude is not good for my health. However, the FT score is making my day. Good onya STANLEY.
Too right!
Old 03-02-2018, 17:48   #10
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Great result today, but we cannot keep giving side 2 start (gifts) Kayden i thought deserved his MoM, though when he was clean through,never looked like scoring, Thought Rogers was well short of match practice, even though i rate him, how he was started and Everton on the bench defies logic to all who stand around me. Hope for better on Tuesday. Also thought Satanage were still under Westly, as they were pigging ANIMALS.
AccyMad likes this.
Old 03-02-2018, 18:01   #11
Senior Member+

YET ANOTHER AMAZING COMEBACK BY THE STANLEY BOYS.
BUT IT IS NOT GOOD FOR THE HEALTH OF THE STANLEY FANS

It was indeed a wonderful comeback to get the three points and the team showed a lot of character in doing so. Overall though it wasn't a great playing performance with the exception of Kayden Jackson who was just ELECTRIC today! His dynamic running, pace, skill and determination were a joy to see and his performance only lacked his name on the score sheet. Defo MOM for me today.
Billy worked hard as usual against their big and strong No 4 and deserved to have his name on the score sheet.
Sean scored the important goal on the stroke of half time which was the real turning point of the match! Once again it was Kayden who won the free kick in a perfect position for Sean to stroke it in with his right foot. It was right in front of us in the Clayton End and Sean found a 12 inch square superbly in the top right hand corner of the goal. No keeper could have saved that one! I am looking forward to seeing that one on the TV tonight! Had it been scored by a current Man City player it would be hailed as a wonder goal and Sean would be worth MILLIONS!
In the first half although we didn't play well we did make plenty of scoring chances, with balls across the face of the goal just needing one of our lads to be in the right position. In the meantime we managed to let Stevenage score two goals the first of which was down to very poor defending on our part and the second which was simply laid on a plate for them by stupidly trying to walk the ball out of defence just one time too many!
Our second half pressure eventually paid off with the result finally going our way Sean played a Captain's role in the second half and Dunne played very strongly at the back in the second half particularly. Hughes was having another poor match until the last fifteen minutes when he finally made his passes count and did some timely interceptions. I think it also made a difference when Sousa came on as he too was threat and his ball skills were delight to see and it also helped us to keep the pressure on their defence.
I couldn't understand the 'resting' of Everton-Richards though and to me I could see a partnership between him and Dunne being worth trying out.
Anyway........Three very important and hard earned points in the end and another three on Tuesday could see us right up their at the haed of the chase for promotion.
ON STANLEY ON
KEEP THE FAITH

PS it's my 66th birthday today and my family are taking me out for a meal.
The Beer and Wine will certainly taste good after the WIN TODAY!
PPS I still think that I am only NINETEEN!
cashman, Kiwi John, sherry and 3 others like this.
choirboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 18:12   #12
God Member

Another 3 points but could easily have been 0 Coley has got to sort his back 4 out we looked shambolic in the opening 15 minutes at the back why Callum was on the wing who knows far bettered 2nd half at full back but credit were it's due we dug in for the 3 points sets us up for a massive game Tuesday maybe time for Conneely,s comeback we miss his calming influence in the middle.
AccyMad and chevyfire like this.
andyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 18:49   #13

A few quick thoughts.....
1. Callum Johnson is showing signs of being a good footballer. I have misjudged the lad.
2. Jackson had a great game
3. Jimmy Dunne looked good
4. Sousa looked good (first time I’ve seen him)
5. I would love to know what the score would have been with Big Ven in the side after 40 mins. We would not have been 2-0 down that much I’m sure of
6. Chapman looked to have made a very good and very important save when we were 2-2
Lord Didsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 18:56   #14

They say you should always expect the unexpected!
Don't think anyone expected the always dependable Richards-Everton would be the one dropped to make way for Harvey Rodgers.
For 45 minutes, I for one thought Mr. Coleman had made a serious error of judgement, so poor was our performance.
Stevenage coasted into another 2-0 lead without breaking sweat. Fast, slick & first to every ball, they passed their way through our midfield with ease.
Our normal passing game went out the window, reduced to hoofing panicky balls out of defence.
The cries of 'Rubbish!' & other encouragements such as 'For f***s sake, get a grip!', echoed from the Clayton End.
'God! Do we need a goal before half-time' I suggested in desperation to my companion on 45 minutes.
Step up Captain Courageous - Sean McConville, in the 48th minute to give us some hope.
A post-mortem was conducted on the terraces at half time & it was generally agreed by all that our promotion hopes were as good as dead.
What we needed was an injection of Jordan Clark & 3 spoonfuls of 'Big Ben'.
Doctor Coleman must have felt the same as shortly after, he brought on the lively Sousa - although subbing Harvey Rodgers seemed illlogical as Dodger had improved from an uncertain start.
Last season, we would have lost this game in humiliating fashion. But this squad is made of sterner stuff.
The second half produced a battling, spirited performance that, once again, prised victory from the jaws of defeat.
Stevenage were still dangerous & Chapman had to pull-off some superb saves to prevent further embarrasment.
But this was groundhog day again, as Kee & McConville rescued the game & all of our hopes, which hang like a thread from one game to the next.
For all our sakes, please Mr. Coleman, can we have a 5-0 win next time - if only to give maximum points to Kiwi John!
chevyfire likes this.
Lord Stiffupperlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 19:23   #15

Actually Lord Stiff, I didn’t think the first half was that bad. Loads of balls flashing across their six yard box. Jackson giving them all sorts of problems.
I did think either centre midfield or central defence was poor - particularly for their goals.
choirboy likes this.
Lord Didsbury is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..