Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree58Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 17-11-2018, 22:07   #16

Re: Stick yer Yorkshire Puddings (aka Barnsley match)

What irony! The Barnsley Pals who fought alongside the Accrington Pals on that fateful day we recently remembered.
Today our former brothers-in-arms paid us a visit, but this was no Pals reunion.
Combat was shoulder-to-shoulder, but this time it was our erstwhile pals using the strong arm tactics.
Should we complain? The answer must be NO!
Yes! Barnsley were cynical & experts at gamesmanship. But they were also bigger, faster & more skilful than our boys.
As 28 previously alluded, they looked & played like a Championship team in waiting.
Even being reduced to 10 men made absolutely no difference to their dominance. We never looked close to actually scoring.
Before the game I thought they might prove too good for us, but hoped for an honourable draw.
So am i disappointed? Not a bit!
Today was a privelige to witness a hard, no-nonsense game of football against a side destined for promotion in front of a capacity crowd.
We can't have any complaints - the best team won.
Lord Stiffupperlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 18-11-2018, 08:14   #17
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Thought today our distribution let us down big time.
think it was more to do with them than our play. they seemed to have someone close to all our players throught the game and even when they went down to 10 it didn,t seem to be much different. all in all it was a better performance than the cup borefest against colchester and 2 nil flattered em a bit at the end.
AccyMad and chevyfire like this.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2018, 08:16   #18
God Member

[QUOTE=Lord Didsbury;
Zanzala lively but being well handled by their defence. Is Charman on the bench?[/QUOTE]

a better player conner hall was and should have been brought on earlier for me.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2018, 08:30   #19
God Member

2 good saves from their keeper early on but same old story for me we let teams wriggle of the hook because we aren't clinical enough in front of goal they hadn't tested Ripley at all till we gave the ball away with our defenders caught going forward 2 quick passes and a clinical finish turned the game for me but we competed against probably the best side in this division we have come a long way just a mention thought Finley and Johnson were outstanding.
andyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2018, 12:55   #20

Those of you who’ve been watching Stanley for far longer than I have should have a read of what the Barnsley fans are saying on Twitter and their fans forum.
You’d burst with pride.

Andy Holt - what an ambassador for the town that bloke is.
Lord Didsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2018, 12:57   #21

Accrington as an away day | The Barnsley Football Club BBS Fans Forum

A flavour.
Lord Didsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2018, 15:19   #22
Full Member+

Thanks for that m'lord it's great to realize that we are no longer looked on as a comic setup
monkey hanger likes this.
pifco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2018, 15:30   #23
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Didsbury View Post
Had a good read of yon forum this morning, was well pleased.
Old 18-11-2018, 15:43   #24
Senior Member+

That forum makes you proud to be an Accy fan! I think it will be pretty much the same when Sunderland visit as well, i know my former Brother in law is coming down and I will be having a pint or two with him near the ground. No longer "Tinpot" but admired by many from Barnsley, well done to all concerned yesterday, regardless of the result.
cashman likes this.

Piston broke owd geezer, Stanley supporter and shareholder, Retired and loving it
Addendum, the views I express on here are my own, if you don't like them: TOUGH!
Outback Ozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2018, 16:34   #25
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

In fairness Barnsley were the best side on the day. imho. had me teeth gritted when i wrote that, lol
Lord Stiffupperlip likes this.
Old 18-11-2018, 17:37   #26
Junior Member+

Evening everyone. Just thought I'd add my two penneth as a Barnsley fan.

I first visited as a ground hopper a few seasons ago, sat in your main stand and once our accent had been sussed, made very welcome. It was cold, and a fairly tame 1-1 draw with Yeovil, but the visit left a lasting impression.

When I had a walk behind the home terrace, I was impressed with the fan zone, and it gave the impression of a club really in touch with its fan base.

It was obvious yesterday that you had raised the bar since that first visit. Division higher and catering for larger numbers. New stand on the far side, and extended the away terrace. Plenty of places to get a drink and something to eat. Toilets temporary but I'm sure that's all in hand.

You should indeed be very proud of what you've achieved!

Just a few points about the game. The "dark arts" thing is something we all accuse other clubs of when we're losing, and we all think we're a bit honest compared to other clubs, but in reality we all do it when it suits us.

I was a bit surprised at Colemans summing up, but I don't really need to elaborate, as quite a few of you have disagreed with him already.

My Accrington supporting mate (is that you AndyD?), said you were struggling in the final third prior to the match, and that proved to be the case for both of us for the most part on the day. We only really had the goal and a shot saved from the angle from Cavare in the first half and you the early shot and deflected cross.

I don't think there really was a "better team for 65 minutes". It was pretty even and we both pressed mistakes out of each other and traded possession.

With a man short, some of our previous managers would have shut up shop, but we don't mind playing on the break so a stretched game suits us better than playing against 10.

Sent from my SM-G850F using Tapatalk
FitzyTyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2018, 18:06   #27
Junior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outback Ozzy View Post
That forum makes you proud to be an Accy fan! I think it will be pretty much the same when Sunderland visit as well, i know my former Brother in law is coming down and I will be having a pint or two with him near the ground. No longer "Tinpot" but admired by many from Barnsley, well done to all concerned yesterday, regardless of the result.
I hear the Sunderland fans weren't as friendly when your SLO posted on their forum.

Most Barnsley fans aren't up our own arses. We're seen as a bit of a laughing stock and often condescended to by some clubs have been elevated by buying a bit of success.

We are one of the "the likes of" clubs, when actually were really not. We've actually spend a large chunk of our history in the 2nd tier.

Hard to lose that tag though. More so for you, cos you've got your own advert! Lol

Sent from my SM-G850F using Tapatalk
FitzyTyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2018, 18:12   #28

Quote:
Those of you who’ve been watchinmatch day exoeriencey for far longer tha. n.
I have should have a read of what the Barnsley fans are saying on Twitter and their fans forum. You’d burst with pride.
Andy Holt - what an ambassador for the town that bloke is.
Here! Here! M'lud.
What a change from the ridicule heaped on us by visiting fans during our early league days
All thanks to a great chairman who has transformed the matchday experience for both home & away fans.
Glad to read that, after 102 years, Barnsley & Accrington are still PALS!
Lord Stiffupperlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2018, 18:17   #29

No longer "Tinpot" but admired by many from Barnsley, well done to all concerned yesterday, regardless of the result.[/QUOTE]
Just goes to show how far we've come when we're no longer seen as "tinpot".
Taypot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2018, 19:01   #30
Senior Member+

Quote:
Not that it matters now but there's even a thread on there suggesting that their second goal was offside!

There's a link to highlights here:
https://www.youtube.com/user/1Barnsl...w=0&shelf_id=1

The 'Matchday Recap' is worth watching too.
MikeA is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..