Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25-01-2020, 09:24   #16

Re: Substitutions and the Football Genius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Didsbury View Post
It’s easy to remember those games where he didn’t make a sub and we didn’t win, but what about those where he made no sub and we still went on to win? I bet those are soon forgotten.
As we've lost more games than we've won, we all remember the former & not the latter.
All I know is that I see the top visiting teams make tactical substitutions in nearly every game.
Some of them have resulted in us losing the game when their sub scores the winner.
Lord Stiffupperlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 25-01-2020, 09:58   #17
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Stiffupperlip View Post
As we've lost more games than we've won, we all remember the former & not the latter.
All I know is that I see the top visiting teams make tactical substitutions in nearly every game.
Some of them have resulted in us losing the game when their sub scores the winner.
Do you remember the term ' impact player ' Lord S ?. It was said that every team used to have one on their Subs bench.. even Accrington Stanley !!.
Recently, when viewing the Subs at the Wham wandering up and down the touchline, to keep their body heat up and ligaments supple I suppose ?. One cannot envisage any of them having much of an impact upon, or affecting the play and ultimate result of the game being played.
Am I then the only one to hold the opinion that currently players in a Stanley squad chosen for a game either as first choice or substitution are all as equally poor as the rest and therefore making Substitutions at any point would make no difference whatsoever !. ( Unless of course an injury forces this decision on the Manager ! ).

Is the finger of fate moving and the writing appearing on the wall ?
yonmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2020, 23:53   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Stiffupperlip View Post
Personally, I'd bring Rodgers back in at RB, move Johnson up to RMF with Opoku in CMF & give Diallo a start.
If we go for the same old selection at Burton, we may be in for another hiding.
Come on Professor Coleman, it's time for some brave choices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by yonmon View Post
Is the finger of fate moving and the writing appearing on the wall ?
Blimey, so it would seem Yonmon.
Has the Professor been studying our post's for inspiration???
Diallo gets a start & has more shots on goal than anybody else.
Then hello, hello! Along come not 1 but 2 substitutions - AT THE SAME TIME!
Altogether now....'Things can only get better'....
Old 26-01-2020, 00:15   #19

I note that Burton, a team higher up the league and playing at home, made three subs. The first as early as the 55th minute.

Yet it made no difference.

The point is, that the above proves nothing. It is just one match.

But looking at stats over a longer period of time, whilst difficult to get a rock solid conclusion, still provides some reasonable evidence.

What you think you see with your own eyes is less reliable.
Lord Didsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2020, 09:59   #20
Senior Member+

Quote:
I note that Burton, a team higher up the league and playing at home, made three subs. The first as early as the 55th minute.

The point is, that the above proves nothing. It is just one match.

But looking at stats over a longer period of time, whilst difficult to get a rock solid conclusion, still provides some reasonable evidence.

What you think you see with your own eyes is less reliable.

I

Exactly what my Optometrist keeps telling me Lord D !..

But if , Statistically speaking, there is a 65 percent chance that the love of your life is having an affair. ...

Then perhaps one cannot be blamed for not placing ultimate faith in the statistics surrounding the using of Substitutes in League 1 Football matches !.. 🤔😎
Old 26-01-2020, 11:29   #21

Quote:
Lord D, who's to say it made no difference?
As Stanley had more possession & more shots on target, it may have ensured Burton didn't lose the game.
Likewise, substituting Diallo & Charles (our scorer) in the 80th minute, may have denied us scoring an injury time winner.
Alternately, it may have ensured we came away with a well earned point.
The whole thing is subjective & depends whether you feel substitutions can influence the outcome.
Sometimes they will, sometimes they won't.
It's a mystery wrapped up in an enigma.
Old 26-01-2020, 19:56   #22

To anyone who doubts the the whole value of substitutes, here's a little reminder of what happened when we met Shrewsbury at the Wham earlier this season;
When Sam Ricketts (football genius?) made 2 substitutions on 79 minutes, it changed the game.
Within 10 minutes, both Udoh & Okenabirhie had scored the goals to snatch victory from the jaws of defeat

Well, Sam Ricketts did it again tonight in the FA Cup.
2-0 down against the World Champions & runaway Premier League leaders Liverpool, they looked down & out.
With 30 minutes left, Ricketts sends on Cummings & wham bam!.... jackpot replay at Anfield.
I rest my case.
cashman likes this.
Old 26-01-2020, 20:18   #23

Lord S - well exactly... it’s a bit like a golfer who never takes any risks. Just eases the ball foward and not very far, but always down the middle.
This golfer is criticised because he never birdies the par 5s and often drops a shot on a long par 3.

Then there’s the go for broke golfer who birdies all the par 5s and sometimes birdies that long par 3.

With my own eyes I see the apparent stupidity of the first golfer. But over the course of a year the first golfer’s average is miles better because he’s not getting the double and triple bogies of the risk taker.

Why ignore the stats? I mean, do you not even bother with the league table? That’s just stats.
Old 26-01-2020, 21:07   #24

Milord, I appreciate your golfing metaphor.
However, how boring it would be if, when watching the Masters at Augusta, all the pro's played safe & scored par at every hole - YAWN!
What spectators want is the hole in one!
Likewise in football, if all teams played safe & took no risks, every game would result in a 0-0 draw.
The Shrews didn't pull a rabbit from the hat tonight by playing slow & steady, they risked all on a gamble & it paid off.
Do you think the shrews fans are for or against the use of subs??????
Old 26-01-2020, 21:21   #25
God Member

Can we get Cummings as a sub, please?
Exile on Spencer St is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2020, 13:10   #26

“The definition of genius is taking the complex and making it simple.”
Albert Einstein.

Nowt more simple than making no subs! Coley is a genius.
pifco likes this.
Old 27-01-2020, 14:08   #27
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
“The definition of genius is taking the complex and making it simple.”
Albert Einstein.

Nowt more simple than making no subs! Coley is a genius.
im now convinced your on drugs lol
Old 27-01-2020, 14:44   #28
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
im now convinced your on drugs lol
Aren't we all ?? ����
cashman and Revived Red like this.

Last edited by yonmon; 27-01-2020 at 14:45. Reason: Poor punctuation in a 3 word quote !!.
Old 27-01-2020, 15:54   #29

Drugs or not, I've got the stats on my side and Coley has his multiple promotions.

Wot you got? A few moaning mates on the terrace who share your bitter views?
Old 27-01-2020, 20:06   #30
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Drugs or not, I've got the stats on my side and Coley has his multiple promotions.

Wot you got? A few moaning mates on the terrace who share your bitter views?
my views are far from bitter, just never in my life been an arse kisser.unlike some.
Revived Red and DAV007 like this.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..