Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 22-04-2004, 14:58   #1

Summer Clearout

With only 3 wins from our last 12 games, JC is definitely thinking along the right lines by indicating his intentions to bring in 7 or 8 new faces this summer. Although we're obviously desperate for widemen and a couple of centre forwards, hopefully Coley has his eye on a few centre mids as well, cos we're seriously lacking in quality in the middle of the park. Although Flitcroft and Proctor put in 100%, its blatantly obvious that they don't have the required quality. Similarly, Gouck seems to be a couple of pies past his best and Brannan has flattered to decieve, after a few initially promising displays.

An excellent signing would be Hugh MaCauley from FGR, (no. 32 in our 4-1 win). He looked a class above everyone else on the pitch, regularly beat men when in possession, and didn't give the ball away all game. What do you all think?
This Charming Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 22-04-2004, 15:07   #2

Re: Summer Clearout

You are not very charming are you???

JOSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2004, 15:07   #3
God Member

Don't remember his game... What I do know is that over the summer there will be a heck of a lot of players looking for a contract.. A lot of proven players from the higher divisions (Not all oldies) because there are far more players than contracts about with most clubs cutting down on playing staff...

Thus I think Coley and Bell wil be stuck for choice and it's just a case of them looking at all these players and giving them trials and using there expertise to pick the best. Can't see them going to lower clubs and trying to poach a player (thus having to pay more) when they will have such a choice.

Just my opinion of course
KIPAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2004, 15:56   #4

Gouck cant leave!!!! Seriously though, youre absaloutely right about the quality of our midfielders, I personally would like us to play with wingers a lot more often.
Maybe an extra striker is in order as well? Lee Evil, maybe?
Old 22-04-2004, 16:07   #5

I also think we should sign old and new players. The older ones who have "been there and done that" will give advice to the new up-and-coming younger players who have little experience. That's why I like Wizard, Ged, Cookie etc. so much. I think we made a good move signing Durnin in October and more like that along with some younsters will get us up into the Football League.
Well, here's hoping.
Old 22-04-2004, 16:13   #6
Resting In Peace

Hugh McAuley was on trial with Stanley at the beginning of the season and was not very good. When he was at Kidderminster they called him Hugh McAwful. He went to Burscough but obviously finished up at FGR

I think we would do well with Lee McEviley and Dave McNiven up front.
JEFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2004, 16:42   #7
I am Banned

McNiven would be one of the few players from non-league who would be an asset to Stanley. Another is Phil Salt of Hyde United ; he's a goal-scoring midfielder age 25-ish whose only drawback is his fairly short stature. Several other clubs are interested in him (although I have no idea what his contractual arrangement is) , but seeing as Hyde took Andy Waine and Lee Madin off us then they could at least return the favour with Salt .
Henry Morton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2004, 23:14   #8
Senior Member+

Don't think its fair to be so harsh on a lot of the lads It is our first time at this level, part time, lot of extra cup games So would love to see how we fair with Full time status, But I know we aint got that time priviledge

I agree About Evil and McNiven........

We have John+Jimmy for 3 yrs I am sure they will keep us as happy as poss John is thinking forward and aint too sentimental so he will not keep anybody that is not going to get us "up where we belong"(singing)

So come on buy the shirt and a season ticket and have a ball next season Don't forget we will always have LOWIEY
simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2004, 00:48   #9

I dont agree about Proctor.. i think hes a great player
Mik Griff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2004, 09:57   #10

Jeff- I'm suprised to hear that about McAuley, like i said before, he was superb against us the other week. Then again he was sporting a rather dodgy mullet, so could be best to just leave him well alone!

Don't get me wrong about Proctor, he's had a great season, and is always tenacious in the middle. But if we really wanna progress to the level of the teams in the playoffs, then i just dont think his all round game (eg distribution) is good enough. PS Perhaps a shock return for Bernie Hughes next season?!?
This Charming Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2004, 10:02   #11
God Member

As I've said before I would like to see all the lads who got us to the Conference stay & have a go a full-time football if they want to. Until they do go full-time no-one knows what they might be capable of.
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..