Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree49Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2021, 19:35   #46

Re: Swindon home thread

I think Sean MC was man of the match today. His delivery was superb Admittedly Dion was a handful as he has been consistently this season.Are back line defended well apart from there goal. A hard fought win. Well done the reds.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk
AccyMad and monkey hanger like this.
chevyfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 06-03-2021, 19:55   #47

Well done Stanley and thanks for the wn. I was forgetting how good it felt. Not going to say any more as really the result is all that matters. Have a good evening all and a rested and enjoyable few days ..... before we get to do it all again.
choirboy likes this.
Crown Grounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 20:20   #48
God Member

Like Sean,s post match interview staking his claim for the left sided roll, but he,s spot on 15 games left and a lot of them will be like today not necessarily on your best but grinding out results well said Sean. Quick mention for Toby Savin hard for any keeper coming back in fantastic save from the free kick kept us in it hope Baxter is ok what a bonus having 2 excellent keepers.
AccyMad, cashman, yonmon and 2 others like this.
andyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 21:46   #49
Senior Member+

I have to agree with earlier comments about it not being a pretty game today.
The most important thing today was getting three points which our boys achieved.
The match was more like a game of badminton with constant high ‘ping pong’ headers to and fro with neither team able to consistently get the ball down and keep possession and build any real momentum.

I don’t believe that there are issues with ‘tiredness’ as some have suggested. The players are professionals, coached and cared for by professionals. However, there does seem to be an issue with a number of players carrying injuries along with those injured and clearly out of contention!
The next few matches are crucial to finishing in a play off place by the end of the season. It is a big ask for our team but not impossible.
I think it is about objectives now;
1) Avoid relegation.....looking likely.
2) Finish in the top half.......definitely possible.
3) Achieve a play off position......possible but needs a little good run of results.
4) Promotion via the play offs with a win at Wembley..... not an impossible dream but something for the players to aim for.
5) For our wonderful supporters, a play off final at Wembley so that we can actually see some of this seasons squad play ‘in the flesh’!

ON STANLEY ON
BELIEVE!
cashman, ossy kid and Taypot like this.

Last edited by choirboy; 06-03-2021 at 21:49.
choirboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 23:53   #50
Senior Member+

Spot on Choirboy, agree with all of your point although I do think your numbers 1 and 2 are almost a given, the rest are a bonus and the fact that we are in this position a great achievement by a great team.
choirboy likes this.
ossy kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 01:30   #51
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by VALAIRIAN View Post
I would rather watch somebody watching paint dry, than watch Man. City.....!!!

You could even read about it:

yonmon and monkey hanger like this.
MikeA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 08:31   #52
God Member

Smile Re: Swindon home thread

All 176 pages of it

"John Burbidge has aimed his brush, roller, and spray gun at everything from ritzy mansions to trashy trailers. He’s gone underground to paint sewage-treatment plants and risked death to paint factory ceilings. He has no doubt inhaled enough noxious dust and paint fumes to shorten his life.

But he’s not dead yet. And the captivating characters he has encountered along the way have more than offset the toils of painting for a living. Ex-cons, addicts, drifting college grads, even a guy with a hole in his head—that’s your typical paint crew, bonded only by the fact that they’re caught in a job society thinks is for simpletons. In Watching Paint Dry, John Burbidge scrapes beneath the surface of painting’s reputation for monotony while intimately portraying the men and women who craft the backdrop to our civilization.

"Informative, funny, and sometimes heartbreaking . . . this is a book you will want to recommend to everyone you know."

--Sharon Barrett, Chicago Sun-Times book critic for 28 years

18 Years in the Football League

https://onstanleyon.com/sean-mcconville-testimonial/
VALAIRIAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 08:31   #53
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by choirboy View Post
I have to agree with earlier comments about it not being a pretty game today.
The most important thing today was getting three points which our boys achieved.
The match was more like a game of badminton with constant high ‘ping pong’ headers to and fro with neither team able to consistently get the ball down and keep possession and build any real momentum.

I don’t believe that there are issues with ‘tiredness’ as some have suggested. The players are professionals, coached and cared for by professionals. However, there does seem to be an issue with a number of players carrying injuries along with those injured and clearly out of contention!
The next few matches are crucial to finishing in a play off place by the end of the season. It is a big ask for our team but not impossible.
I think it is about objectives now;
1) Avoid relegation.....looking likely.
2) Finish in the top half.......definitely possible.
3) Achieve a play off position......possible but needs a little good run of results.
4) Promotion via the play offs with a win at Wembley..... not an impossible dream but something for the players to aim for.
5) For our wonderful supporters, a play off final at Wembley so that we can actually see some of this seasons squad play ‘in the flesh’!

ON STANLEY ON
BELIEVE!
Good post but just to pick up on " tiredness " if as you say some players look to be carrying injuries that means they aren't 100% so in some viewers eyes this can be looked upon or appears as tiredness, I think that with all the injured I think Dan Jewell mentioned 7 potential first 11 unavailable yesterday players are being asked to or wanting as in Smyth's case to carry on, fully fit available squad we could finish easily in top 6 just a case of battling on now.
choirboy and monkey hanger like this.
Old 07-03-2021, 08:42   #54
God Member

Sama, Cassidy, Uwakawe, Pritchard, Mansell, Baxter and Sangare all presumably carrying some kind of injury not sure about Sama plus Sherif and Sykes out for the season that's 9 decent players to be were we are is a fantastic achievement hopefully most will be available for the run in any side would miss that amount of quality.
choirboy and monkey hanger like this.
Old 07-03-2021, 09:10   #55
Full Member+

Boys dug deep to get those 3 points, at one point it looked like they didn’t want them and tried everything to give something to Swindon, fortunately it seemed Swindon didn’t fancy anything themselves either!
Chuffed for Colby to get his goal.
Dion is like a Duracell battery at the moment, just worried he’s going to get his international call up (well deserved) and we will miss him for a couple of games.
Couldn’t choose between Matty Butcher or Cam Burgess for MOM, asked Coley after the game and he said he’d have given it to Burgess.
Impressed with our super sub David Morgan as well, think he can fit nicely into Seamus’ role doing the simple things really well.
Final note, Sean McConville, best game for him in a year! He might just hit form right when it matters most. As he mentioned in his post match interview, we are still up there.
I think we’ve had our wobble at the right time!

Onwards and upwards (well, downwards to Brizzle Tuesday night.)
cashman and choirboy like this.
StanleyJosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 10:00   #56
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

for me thought sean mac was mom though was a few good performances,the last couple of stanley joshs post i agree 100%. certainly hope its correct,the top6 clubs are all much bigger clubs than us, so if we get in playoffs its an amazing achievement in my eyes KTF lets go for it.
choirboy likes this.

Last edited by cashman; 07-03-2021 at 10:08.
cashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 10:26   #57
God Member

not going to buy the DVD of the game but its another game ticked off and 3 more points in the bag. this season thats the main thing for me. armchair saturday afternoons and tuesday nights just isn,t me.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 11:23   #58
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey hanger View Post
not going to buy the DVD of the game but its another game ticked off and 3 more points in the bag. this season thats the main thing for me. armchair saturday afternoons and tuesday nights just isn,t me.
Nor me but it's all we have at the moment Tuesday night interesting a lot of the teams above us play one another so another reason 3 points would be useful, should imagine Bishop dead leg and Smyth under the weather will be ok rest is down to recovery and fitness but whoever gets the shirt now hopefully will play out if their skin.
Old 07-03-2021, 15:26   #59
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyd View Post
Good post but just to pick up on " tiredness " if as you say some players look to be carrying injuries that means they aren't 100% so in some viewers eyes this can be looked upon or appears as tiredness, I think that with all the injured I think Dan Jewell mentioned 7 potential first 11 unavailable yesterday players are being asked to or wanting as in Smyth's case to carry on, fully fit available squad we could finish easily in top 6 just a case of battling on now.
Andyd, your response seems to acknowledge the difference between ‘tiredness’ and ‘carrying an injury when considering reasons for not being 100% fit to play. It doesn’t matter how other viewers see it.....there is still a difference between ‘tiredness’ and ‘carrying an injury’.
I believe that our players are well trained and 100% fit unless they are ....‘carrying an injury’. I would think that the physical training for Stanley at the moment will mostly be based on rest and recovery. They will probably be spending more time working on team matters such as playing formations and set pieces than running themselves hard as they would in pre season training. IMHO, two matches a week is not an excessive load for well trained professionals. It only becomes a problem for individual players if they start to carry an injury.
Tiredness and carrying an injury are totally different!
ossy kid likes this.
choirboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 16:02   #60
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

have to disagree rest and recovery to me is NOT starting a player who aint right or is ill its ridiculous to me.ok we all know some players will say they are ok when not, but im damn sure the manager knows if thats correct.
andyd likes this.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..