Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree140Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2017, 20:35   #46
Full Member+

Re: Swindon Town Match Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Stiffupperlip View Post
The whole country has suffered with Arctic weather for the last week, some places having suffered much worse than East Lancashire.
Yet from the 53 games in England today, including the National league, only 3 were postponed.
Even most Scottish league games were played, only 4 from 17 being postponed.
We can blame the ref all we want, but the real culprit is the club for making no effort to protect the pitch.
Do they never watch the weather forecast?
So you KNOW that the ground staff did nothing to protect the pitch.
ferret man is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 09-12-2017, 21:15   #47
God Member

To my mind it's not so much the actual postponement but the timing & the poor communication from the club that's got people's backs up - on the twitter feed this morning it stated that the pitch had been inspected & it was declared fit to play, after the second inspection at lunchtime we were then told the game was off as the pitch had deteriorated due to the snow that had come down during the morning, well I'm sorry but that just does not add up. It couldn't possibly have deteriorated that much in a couple of hours, either the first inspection was not thorough enough or we weren't told the true state of the pitch at 10.30 & I think everybody, Swindon fans included, deserve to know exactly what happened.
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 21:19   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferret man View Post
So you KNOW that the ground staff did nothing to protect the pitch.

I quote from Mabs earlier @ASFCofficial post.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mab View Post
@ASFCofficial
UPDATE: As a precaution we have covered areas of the pitch that do not get sunlight.
There are currently no plans for a pitch inspection and we expect tomorrow's game with @Official_STFC to go ahead.
Bearing in mind the predicted sub zero temperatures, covering only a small part of the pitch seems illogical.
In any event, whatever effort was made proved completely inadequate.
But then again, you've convinced me - IT WAS ALL THE REF'S FAULT!
Lord Stiffupperlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 21:37   #49
Full Member+

Buzzer:

Ref turns up at 10 am says can't envisage a problem ...you need to change who you get your Information from !!

Andy:
Wrong. Ref inspects at 10.30am says it on. At 1.30pm inspects and says it is frozen. https://t.co/bzKCh10wjS

Answering to someone who suggested similar to some on here.
Old 10-12-2017, 08:10   #50
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
I agree, its in the main down to another useless official, but someone actually knew at the club what was said about the pitch at 10-30, yet sod all AGAIN was said to the fans at that time, and that to me aint good enough.
thats what its actually all about in a nutshell. if there was a doubt about some areas of the pitch at 10.30 with the forecast of temperatures and snow then the game should have been called off then. plus being told about 11 ish it was on was stretching the truth more than a little as it was not. the word fan at times means mug who seem to have to accept everything thrown at em.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 08:13   #51
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

The fact is from 10-00 until after 2-00 the temperature was 2 to 3 degrees warmer, ok we had a light covering of snow in that period, so the bullshine spouted dont fool anyone with at least 1 braincell.
Old 10-12-2017, 08:32   #52
Full Member+

So what should THE CLUB have done differently after the 1030 inspection?
Old 10-12-2017, 08:49   #53
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Thats obvious, tell the fans what the ref had said, NOT just a bit of it.many then would not have wasted hard earned money setting off.
Old 10-12-2017, 09:00   #54
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Stiffupperlip View Post
I quote from Mabs earlier @ASFCofficial post.

Bearing in mind the predicted sub zero temperatures, covering only a small part of the pitch seems illogical.
In any event, whatever effort was made proved completely inadequate.
But then again, you've convinced me - IT WAS ALL THE REF'S FAULT!
The big worry is it was,nt particulary that cold Friday night 0 to -1 at the most with a colder winter predicted this year how many more games could we lose and I have to agree why wasn't the whole pitch covered?
andyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 09:26   #55

Having read all this, my opinion:
1. It would have been far better to relay everything the ref said at 10:30am so people can make their own minds up about whether to risk travelling or not
2. What would be even better than that is to have called it off at 10:30 if there was any doubt at all because a lot of fans were travelling from so far away. It's by far the lesser of two evils.

Great results elsewhere though!
Lord Didsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 09:50   #56
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Didsbury View Post
Having read all this, my opinion:
1. It would have been far better to relay everything the ref said at 10:30am so people can make their own minds up about whether to risk travelling or not
2. What would be even better than that is to have called it off at 10:30 if there was any doubt at all because a lot of fans were travelling from so far away. It's by far the lesser of two evils.

Great results elsewhere though!
Only trouble wi that LordD, its good old fashioned common sense, a thing thats always been sadly lacking by some of those who SHOULD know better.
monkey hanger likes this.
Old 10-12-2017, 11:03   #57
Senior Member+

Eee by gum.....!
It's not like in t'owd days when we played in all sorts of conditions!
In Saturday's conditions we would have had lines painted blue and played with an orange ball and worn boots with moulded rubber studs! Which was a bit like playing on the early hard artificial pitches used in the late 20th century. We also used common sense as players and tried to stay on our feet and not slide into tackles but of course Pro's can't play like that as the pressure now is to win at all costs!

I live locally so I saw the news after 1pm but I do agree that it is the dedicated travelling supporters that suffered unnecessary expense and a waste of a day. Both those from Swindon and Stanley fans who travel from distance too.

It would seem to be the case that the Referee should have called it off at 10am and that the club should have used all possible methods of communicating that to the supporters as quickly as possible in order to save them wasting money and time travelling!
choirboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 11:12   #58
Senior Member+

Took a detour to Oldham - pitch bang on.
Decent game Richie Wellens got them going.
Matt Crooks a shadow of his former self.
Twenty Eight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 11:37   #59
God Member

[QUOTE=choirboy;

I live locally so I saw the news after 1pm but I do agree that it is the dedicated travelling supporters that suffered unnecessary expense and a waste of a day. [COLOR="red"]Both those from Swindon and Stanley fans who travel from distance too.[/COLOR]

think the club had a hope of a miracle of biblical proportions to get the game on after the 10.30 inspection and we were not told the whole truth. do not mind wasting a gallon of diesel but i did mind wasting a day. probably frightened we might have gone elsewhere and enjoyed it.
choirboy likes this.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 12:05   #60

Andy Holt has spent the last 24 hours tweeting massively about the game being called off. Generally he talks very good sense (in my opinion) on how things should be addressed in the event of bad weather. He is doing a great job engaging with both sets of fans.

He seems the clearly believe that he knew nothing about the prospect of a second pitch inspection after the first one. If no one at the club (in a senior enough position) knew there was a possibility of a second inspection then the club is completely blameless for any lack of communication.

Finally, undersoil heating is out of the question (financially), and attempts to keep the pitch protected with sheets and other methods are always going to be hit and miss I'd have thought. So really the only solution is in a better system for deciding what happens when inspections are called for. That's the reality of division 2 budgets and uk weather.
Lord Didsbury is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..