Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree140Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2018, 23:13   #106

Re: Swindon Town Match Thread

You’ve got to be joking about the ref, right?
Apart from their rather soft penalty and not their playing being unlucky to be sent off he was spot on with everything else.
Lord Didsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 06-02-2018, 23:20   #107
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Didsbury View Post
Apart from their rather soft penalty and not their playing being unlucky to be sent off he was spot on with everything else.
Utter tripe. Its not that he got decisions wrong, but that he allowed so much physical stuff to go unpunished that he came within a hairswidth of losing control of that game
AccyMad and choirboy like this.
Old 07-02-2018, 02:27   #108
God Member

Took me a lifetime to get the result-phone ran out of data, and when I rang 'She that must be obeyed' to get the FT score-she was to busy to speak (the cheek of it !!)...she finally returned the call an hour or so after final whistle and upon request gave me the FT result. Great stuff Super Stanley.Onwards.
maccawozzagod likes this.
Kiwi John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 06:30   #109

Utter tripe? Not punishing them? He Awarded us 17 fouls, showed them 4 yellow cards and one red!

We commented at half time what a fair and clean contest it was up to that point. You’ve got to bear in mind that some Stanley players do go to ground rather easily at times. I thought the ref did well to spot the actual fouls.
monkey hanger likes this.
Old 07-02-2018, 07:39   #110
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
I am beginning to believe yer on drugs or summat,
Old 07-02-2018, 07:47   #111

If I went to the Swindon fans forum I’d be guaranteed find people wittering about how the ref was too harsh, on here he wasn’t harsh enough.
It’s the same with every game. Fans shout and get angry cos a ref didn’t give a foul and other fans get angry it was a dive. Go to a match as a neutral and you will see how ludicrous fans are when judging a ref.

I’m baffled by it. Just people who see things in black and white, and have no ability for impartiality I suppose.
Old 07-02-2018, 08:03   #112
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

over the years have been to many games as a neutral, and to me for reasons i cannot grasp, the standard of refs has gone to pot.
Revived Red and monkey hanger like this.
Old 07-02-2018, 08:15   #113
God Member

Quote:

I’m baffled by it. Just people who see things in black and white, and have no ability for impartiality I suppose.
might be luckier than most fans as i can watch the game as a stanley fan and a referee. thought he did quite well myself and although their penalty looked soft i said when we got ours i,ve seen em not given. got to grip mith most of their pushing and shoving though and for me his biggest mistake was not to send off the guy who kicked sean from behind with the ball knowhere. much better than the joker who did our game at guiseley. cashy is correct about the standards going down but lets not deflect from a top stanley performance against a good side where we had 11 heroes in the pitch who did everything to secure 3 points. just need to get going from the start though. first 15 mins we were terrible.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 09:00   #114
Senior Member+

Be interesting if all the teams in the auto and playoff places below Luton won their game in hand.

The Pressure on Luton would soon start to mount
DAV007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 10:02   #115
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

What really beats me about Official Standards declining is the fact when i was young there was only the Ref @ Liners, not perfect but not that bad, Now they have the 4Th official,are introducing VAR, yet the standard has declined. Wish someone could tell me, how the hell thats the case?
Old 07-02-2018, 10:06   #116
God Member

Quote:
If I went to the Swindon fans forum I’d be guaranteed find people wittering about how the ref was too harsh, on here he wasn’t harsh enough.
It’s the same with every game. Fans shout and get angry cos a ref didn’t give a foul and other fans get angry it was a dive. Go to a match as a neutral and you will see how ludicrous fans are when judging a ref.

I'd be baffled by any fan of any team who can watch their team impartially, but no Stanley fan sees anything in black & white - just sometimes through red tinted glasses
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 10:15   #117

After that foul on seany, I commented it was a yellow card and a half. Could have gone either way.

Why do you think standards have gone down? I used to watch loads of live footy in the 80s-90s, then started again 3 years ago.

Without question the playing standard has improved massively, and, whilst I can't be sure, it seems the ref standards have also improved considerably. I'd be very surprised if the standard of lines people haven't improved. I'm amazed how well they can accurately judge offside with the rules about interfering with play as they are.

I know there's loads of news articles and pundits who would back you up to say that standards have declined, but like many things in life those views may well just be as a result of incorrect perceptions.

For example, many people mistakenly think crime is worse now than it was in the 80s/90s when it has in fact been vastly reduced.

I'm pretty sure that there is some limited research that shows refs have improved. i shall endeavor to find it.
Old 07-02-2018, 10:24   #118
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Personally i think the "FEW" women that run the lines,do a better job than most of the blokes.
Old 07-02-2018, 12:22   #119
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Personally i think the "FEW" women that run the lines,do a better job than most of the blokes.
That's because women have a greater ability to multitask Cashy
cashman likes this.
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 13:03   #120
God Member

Tend to agree with Lord Didders, although there is always the Kettle factor.
Obviously, the 'cost' of a mistake by a ref is greater than it was, so owners and managers are now often the first to criticise refs. Especially Premier League refs. The media even have retired refs critiquing current refs. So slagging off refs seems to be even more accepted than it ever was.

In addition, players are now much more likely to cheat, including play acting to get their 'fellow' professionals sent off. In days gone by, the same end was achieved by hacking down an attacking opponent (usually by a half-back, put in the team for the very purpose). On the whole, such blatant hackers have been purged from professional football, but refs now have to deal with all sorts of less obvious fouls.
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..