Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2016, 03:44   #1
Full Member+

Take a bow....Trevor Kettle...

I knew back then ( Wimbledon league game) that decision would cost us......he retires at Gigg Lane today and I for one will be sending him into retirement with as many expletives as I can get away with from the main stand at Gigg...

THE decision that cost us league ONE football......

Ultimate irony we end up playing Wimbledon in the play-offs.....Horrible feeling Akinfenwa will bounce us out of them.....

If we get past the Dons, then it will probably be the Snake & his sidekick that end our dreams at Wembley.

I hope Coleman can pick them lads up from the disappointment of missing out on an auto place and get us firing for these games.....

Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill.
carpon is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 08-05-2016, 07:32   #2
Full Member+

Re: Take a bow....Trevor Kettle...

I can nominate a worse ref than Kettle.

Darren Drysdale. A shocker of a ref and in 2 games (Carlisle home and Exeter away) his decisions cost 5 points.
Morecambe_Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 07:33   #3
God Member

There was an interesting play on the radio t'other night about a ref, just about to retire, who decides to take a bribe. Getting back to Trevor Kettle, I'm relieved to hear he's retiring and, a season too late, will never officiate again. I guess it's too much to hope he swallows his whistle at Gigg Lane.
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 09:05   #4
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morecambe_Red View Post
I can nominate a worse ref than Kettle.

Darren Drysdale. A shocker of a ref and in 2 games (Carlisle home and Exeter away) his decisions cost 5 points.
kettle seems to be disliked by many clubs including us. Darren deadloss not very good but can,t really get worse than Geoff eltringham. never seen him even having an average game for us. probably get him for the play off game against Wimbledon.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 08:32   #5

I take the point of this but whatever way you slice it 2 points from Morcombe and Stevenage at home is not good enough- for automatic promotion.

Just a thought but are we a bit predictable going forward at moment?.
Everything goes through Billy and I consider his form has dipped slightly over last few games. Is it time to use the target man we brought in in the window to give him some support against more physical teams (I'm thinking Stevenage and Wimbledon)?

I know Coley doesn't like to change a winning formulae but we ain't been winning at home recently.

Come on Stanley you can do this.
monkey hanger likes this.
Inspector Morse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 08:56   #6
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector Morse View Post
Just a thought but are we a bit predictable going forward at moment?.
Everything goes through Billy and I consider his form has dipped slightly over last few games.

Come on Stanley you can do this.
I have to agree. Billy was disappointing on Saturday. Was he fully fit? When Terry Gornell came on (too late), he was moving much more quickly than Billy. Stevenage had clearly sussed us out - they had 2 or 3 players on Fosu and Piero as soon as either got the ball.

We could try Andy Little as a striker but I think I am correct in saying he has made the bench only once or twice and has not yet been used. I would be tempted to start with Shay and Terry up front. But what do I know??
Revived Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 09:59   #7
Senior Member+

Revived,thought Billy battled away against two decent lads,but he got isolated as nobody really got around him.
Josh (who's one of the best no 10's I've seen in a Acci shirt),struggled all game and his free kick late on summed his day up.
They did a great job in isolating our wingers and we then were relaent on set pieces corners etc..
The game was ten minutes old before piero touched the ball !!!
For me we need to be strong on Saturday,and do what Stevenage did to us and make sure we're still in the tie at the final whistle.
Very difficult game,but we can do it
AccyMad, baldy and yonmon like this.
football19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 10:22   #8
Senior Member+

I agree with F19, especially as 90% of the passes he received were from Ross via Route 1 and he was giving away about 9 inches to the Stevenage backs. He got a lot of flick-ons nearly right and held up some great stuff with his back to goal. This was first half, right in front of us, and he looked completely knackered at half time. Second half couldn't see the detail but didn't seem that his effort dropped. So surprised by the criticism of him here and on the other thread.

Obviously have to agree it wasn't a great performance overall, probably down to nerves and the occasion. Hopefully the reaction will be to bounce back against the Wombles not go the other way.

On the Kettle question, I'm sure every side has dropped and gained points over the season due to blatantly wrong refereeing decisions, offsides given or not, penalties given or not, etc. Kettle's wasn't actually blatantly wrong - it was just blatantly odd which is why it hurts more than the others.

Whatever, now we're in with a chance of watching Stanley at Wembley! On Stanley On!!
AccyMad and Div3North like this.
Old 09-05-2016, 10:37   #9

Just to be clear I'm not tring to criticise Billy per se just looking critically at the set up of the team around him.

Billys had a fantastic season and don't really want to criticise anyone in a season where we've reached 85 points and come 1 minute from automatic promotion.

That being said we're all big boys and need to learn from Saturday and Morecombe and apply the lessons learnt.

We haven't ragged it this year we're a bloody good team. Come on Stanley.
AccyMad, cashman, Greeny and 1 others like this.
Inspector Morse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 11:23   #10
Senior Member+

In reality it's the same team/system/set up that has destroyed previous teams,so fair play to Stevenage for getting amongst us and not letting us play.
Besides the hard pitch I don't think the wind helped either and most long balls were over cooked and easy to defend.
Portsmouth were the last team to isolate us,so we will learn and move on.
The teams young ,so I've no idea how they will react,but I am quietly confident KTF
AccyMad likes this.
football19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 11:48   #11
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimer View Post
So surprised by the criticism of him here
No criticism on here . He simply did not look fully fit, especially in the second half as you say yourself. It wasn't working for him, possibly because of the two centre backs he faced. The flick-ons he won gained nothing, possibly because Josh was not at his best as f19 has said. Stevenage had isolated our wingers, again as f19 has said. So it was almost inevitably route 1. I happen to think that Terry should have been brought on earlier - I think his greater mobility would have given the Stevenage defence something different to think about.
Revived Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 12:15   #12
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by football19 View Post
In reality it's the same team/system/set up that has destroyed previous teams,so fair play to Stevenage for getting amongst us and not letting us play.
Besides the hard pitch I don't think the wind helped either and most long balls were over cooked and easy to defend.
Portsmouth were the last team to isolate us,so we will learn and move on.
The teams young ,so I've no idea how they will react,but I am quietly confident KTF
Have to agree with this F19, the only phrase I'm having trouble with is 'fair play to Stevenage' . . . . . . . . the last attribute I'd give to them is fair play , just ask their press/journalists who were sat behind us on Saturday
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 13:01   #13
God Member

You've got to give F19 some slack, AccyMad.
He's from Wigan so is quite used to seeing rugby league tackling!
AccyMad and yonmon like this.
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 08:11   #14
God Member

I know Coley doesn't like to change a winning formulae but we ain't been winning at home recently.

Come on Stanley you can do this.[/QUOTE]

don,t like to criticise coley but we have the strongest squad we,ve probably ever had but it,s not used. other sides know apart from injuries what they will be playing against and how to stop us especially at home. hope to see some changes at home to Wimbledon just to try to mix things up a bit.
cashman likes this.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 08:47   #15
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Have to agree monkey hanger. they got us sussed style-wise.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..