Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree32Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 24-01-2015, 19:52   #16
Senior Member+

Re: Team -v- Wombles

a Wimbledon fan I know who attend today said we where not the worst team they have seen nor the best, he said we looked average which is confirmed by our league position.

he thought neither McCarten or Maguire where any good but did rate Joyce.
he also said Joyce's midfield partner (presume he meant proctor?) was rubbish in the first half.

I do hope he drops Macguire and gives either Gray, Carver or Bowerman a run out. If he doesn't see a future for carver or bowerman he should move then on, is no benefit for the players nor the club.
I think Coley has found the same problem as Beattie did, that neither Gray, Carver or Bowerman are quite good enough to be a league 2 striker in a team that wants to be in the top half. However, with them all being young I do hope they can all improve.

Last edited by DAV007; 24-01-2015 at 19:54.
DAV007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 24-01-2015, 20:09   #17
God Member

Average is probably a fair summary, but I thought all the team gave it their best today. Trouble, average best is not always enough.
Agree with Chimer that Joyce gave a captain's performance. He actually had two alongside him in midfield - Barry and Proctor. The former, I thought was very good, but, equally, I don't think it correct to claim the latter was rubbish.Proccy doesn't appear to be tasked with spraying passes around but he does a job of breaking up the opposition's play and challenging for headers. Every team needs someone to do that and I don't think Proccy failed in that role today.
As to forwards, Messrs Gray, Carver and Bowerman are all chasing the one place and adding Maguire to that mix just doesn't seem to give Stanley anything extra, which, surely, must be the main reason for having loan players?
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2015, 21:04   #18
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Right my view, First half was a deserved 1-0 to the Wombles, Whatever plan or tactics the lads were given failed miserably in my view. So whilst subs coming on after 1 hour is a vast improvement, woulda been much better on for second half. when the subs came on a great improvement we dominated fer approx 25 mins Very light up front McGuire i thought had his worst game in a Stanley shirt, another lad though who is not an out n out striker so to me hardly his fault. Mcarten was also hardly on his feet, perhaps bigger studs are needed? For my money Carver, whilst far from the finished article happens to be a centre forward, so to me should be given a run, but NO not even on the bench. Barry i thought was a revelation, did very well n his great shot deserved a goal, Thought Atkinson n Liddle (apart from his error) also did well, verdict= much better than Tranmere, But we have an Ex -Good Striker in charge,so how he fails to play a striker in the Centre Forward position i will never know. By the way First half the sun was glaring big time in our eyes n the wombles keepers, i will never understand why he was NOT put under any pressure first 45?
Old 24-01-2015, 21:24   #19

This is getting scary, we are all saying more or less the same thing. It's not often you get that on here

On a more serious note, did anyone hear if that young girl behind us that seemed to have collapsed was ok
deeayess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2015, 21:30   #20
Senior Member+

I forgot to mention the look of horror on the Wombles' players faces when The Beast was substituted and they realised their chances of getting a post-game pie had just vanished
Old 24-01-2015, 21:33   #21
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Right my view, First half was a deservtacticallytoday the WombSecondlyr plan or tactics the lads were given failed miserably in my view. So whilst subs coming on after 1 hour is a vast improvement, woulda been much better on for second half. when the subs came on a great improvement we dominated fer approx 25 mins Very light up front McGuire i thought had his worst game in a Stanley shirt, another lad though who is not an out n out striker so to me hardly his fault. Mcarten was also hardly on his feet, perhaps bigger studs are needed? For my money Carver, whilst far from the finished article happens to be a centre forward, so to me should be given a run, but NO not even on the bench. Barry i thought was a revelation, did very well n his great shot deserved a goal, Thought Atkinson n Liddle (apart from his error) also did well, verdict= much better than Tranmere, But we have an Ex -Good Striker in charge,so how he fails to play a striker in the Centre Forward position i will never know. By the way First half the sun was glaring big time in our eyes n the wombles keepers, i will never understand why he was NOT put under any pressure first 45?
So two questions !....Firstly, which Manager came out on top tactically today ?, and Secondly
do you share my trepidation regarding the six point gap twixt the Reds and the relegation places ?.
yonmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2015, 22:24   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by yonmon View Post
So two questions !....Firstly, which Manager came out on top tactically today ?, and Secondly
do you share my trepidation regarding the six point gap twixt the Reds and the relegation places ?.
My opinion is that our poor tactics in the first half by having no real attacking threat close in was our undoing. They did what we expected so no real surprise and we picked up in the second half with the subs so we did learn from the mistake. They're goals were more down to poor defending I'd say but given my poor eyesight and a few pints tv may prove me wrong.

I'm not too concerned yet as Hartlepool should be one of those going down and 15 points is a good cushion. Even 7 to dag and red with a better goal difference should see us home but we can forget about playoffs the way we are playing.

I wouldn't like to be playing a relegation match at the daggers in the 2nd last match though.
Old 24-01-2015, 22:28   #23
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yonmon View Post
None came out on top in my view, 2, no trepidation from me cos i think we got the skill undoubtedly to survive. dunno about that young lass, told yeh D. i asked her if she was ok n she said yes, then they carried her off on a stretcher.
Old 24-01-2015, 22:36   #24
Senior Member+

Think everyone's of the same opinion,but it was interesting we started 4-3-3 and finished 3-4-3 !!!
So we have a plan B and C
We desperately need a focal point up top,but most teams say the same !!
Positives,keeper showing a bit of form,Barry was composed and linked play and all the subs did well,with windass showing good pace.
We really need to put a few performances together,especially at home,KTF !
football19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2015, 00:52   #25
Senior Member+

My god sounds like we are all in agreement,everything covered .The most disappointing issue for me is the lack of respect Coley has given the fans who travelled down by refusing to give a post match interview and hiding behind Joycey.
Chubbyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2015, 08:20   #26
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubbyman View Post
My god sounds like we are all in agreement,everything covered .The most disappointing issue for me is the lack of respect Coley has given the fans who travelled down by refusing to give a post match interview and hiding behind Joycey.
And what about the other ignorant pig,pre match at half past one,when the team coach arrived? not even a smile never mind acknowledgment of any fans waiting to greet it,
Old 25-01-2015, 08:46   #27

Quote:
And what about the other ignorant pig,pre match at half past one,when the team coach arrived? not even a smile never mind acknowledgment of any fans waiting to greet it,
i can't comment on it as I was in the bar and didn't see it but based on the stats you could be right
Old 25-01-2015, 09:05   #28
Senior Member+

Who you on about Cashy?
football19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2015, 09:09   #29
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by football19 View Post
Who you on about Cashy?
The guy who never read "How to win friends and influence people" I am heartily sick of people telling me how hard he works,I dont doubt that at all, But thats no excuse fer a pig ignorant attitude.
smobile likes this.

Last edited by cashman; 25-01-2015 at 09:15.
cashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2015, 09:17   #30
God Member

Quote:
By the way First half the sun was glaring big time in our eyes n the wombles keepers, i will never understand why he was NOT put under any pressure first 45?
Good point, Cashy, I too thought the very low sun being in their keeper's eyes suggested Joyce had won the toss. But the problem Remained...there was no big, ugly centre forward who could challenge their keeper for crosses anyway, so the sun gave Stanley no advantage.
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..