Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree32Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 24-01-2015, 13:21   #1
God Member

Smile Team -v- Wombles

As the other one got a bit like "my dad's bigger than your dad"......Team for the Wombles game

Macey, Lidds, Tom, Rob, Deano, Proccy, Joyce, Naismith, Maguire, McCarten, Barry

18 Years in the Football League

https://onstanleyon.com/sean-mcconville-testimonial/

Last edited by VALAIRIAN; 24-01-2015 at 13:24.
VALAIRIAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 24-01-2015, 13:57   #2

Re: Team -v- Wombles

No natural striker there. Looks like any threat will come from midfield on the break. Cold but sunny here at kingsmeadow so let's go for it
deeayess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2015, 14:25   #3

No real threat so far although just been a long range shot not far away. Wimbledon have been more like scoring and came very close early on
Old 24-01-2015, 14:52   #4

We looked like we were set up not to concede and failed. We haven't done much up front other than long range shots and done little with any corners we have won. We must get a striker on
Old 24-01-2015, 15:36   #5
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeayess View Post
We looked like we were set up not to concede and failed. We haven't done much up front other than long range shots and done little with any corners we have won. We must get a striker on
Do the players look any happier in what they're doing today Deeayess ??.
yonmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2015, 15:38   #6
Senior Member+

Two down now.....where are the goals going to come from ??
Old 24-01-2015, 15:48   #7
Senior Member+

Adam Buxton obviously !!....Supersub ???.
Old 24-01-2015, 15:59   #8
Senior Member+

Another defeat then !...,...Wonder what the inevitable postmortem will reveal ?.

I'll be interested to hear about the level of team spirit which did appear so low at Tranmere,
And whether or not the Management team got it right or not ?, and should my worries about a potential slide towards the Conference give me cause for concern ?..
Can't wait for the verdict from our star pundits !.
Old 24-01-2015, 16:03   #9

Looked a lot better when gray and windass came on. Sloppy defending for their second goal. I'm not convinced re team spirit but we did look more positive. Was cold though. Could easily have went home after an hour - not!!!
Old 24-01-2015, 16:36   #10
Senior Member+

Great to see Buxton back, as Coley said it's like having a new signing.

As for the result..... Not surprised, at all.
smudgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2015, 17:53   #11
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by smudgie View Post
Great to see Buxton back, as Coley said it's like having a new signing.

As for the result..... Not surprised, at all.
Funny he said exactly the same about Gray
Chubbyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2015, 18:05   #12
God Member

Pretty mundane from both sides in the first half, good long range shot from Naismith was one highlight, but Wimbledon scoring just before half time was kind of inevitable.
Much, much better second half from Stanley but undone with a bit of bad judgement from Liddle (otherwise played to his usual good standard) delaying his clearance and bad luck that ball broke perfectly for two Wombles to beat Macey.
Not a bad performance from Stanley in general except there was just no real threat in front of goal.
Coleman can't be faulted for the timing of his substitutions, and it was good for Buxton to get what turned out to be the consolation goal.
My MOM (despite my earlier misgivings) was Barry. He looked composed in midfield and played some delightful raking cross field passes. He was also very, very unlucky his curling, but deliberate, shot hit the woodwork in the second half.
On another day Stanley may have earned the draw they deserved but Wimbledon packed the penalty area when needed and thwarted Stanley's attempts, from McCarten especially, to create a genuine chance in the box.
Do either of Akinfenwa's brothers play football, I wonder. What Stanley would do for their very own YFB!

Last edited by Exile on Spencer St; 24-01-2015 at 18:07.
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2015, 18:22   #13
Senior Member+

OK my two pennorth first (well Exile hadn't posted when I started typing), as it wasn't so far home for me .....

All in my humble opinion of course, and bearing in mind that I don't know the players well enough to identify many of them at 50 yards plus ....

The difference was The Beast, aka YFB. We actually did a pretty good job of containing him, mostly legally according to the ref, but he still picked up and held up a lot of their route one stuff. On the other hand, we had nothing to offer that way and kept trying chips into the corners behind their fullbacks for Maguire and Macarten to run onto - and they weren't quick enough or good enough to make much out of that, though they weren't short of effort. Naismith looked more dangerous coming from deeper on the left in the first half, but got switched to the right after the break. Atkinson and Liddle played well together in front of us in the second half, great shame that it was Lidds getting caught in possession that lead to their second goal - cracking finish it has to be sad from someone who'd only been on for 2 minutes, giving Macey, who'd had a good game throughout, looking secure under the crosses, little chance. Our worse failing from start to finish was delivery of the final ball, which ranged from hopeful to dreadful. Apart from our goal (which I couldn't really see) we only had two shots of note, one excellent save by their keeper, low to his right in the first half from Naismith, and Barry's screamer against the bar in the second - if that had gone in we might even have gone on to win.

Man of the match - Joyce for me, not least for being our biggest attacking threat in the first half.

Team spirit - looked OK to me. Officials - not great, probably to our advantage on balance. Substitutions - early enough, Gray for Maguire probably making most difference (but not enough, obviously).

Over to you to disagree, experts!

Last edited by Chimer; 24-01-2015 at 18:23. Reason: Not first when posted
Chimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2015, 18:26   #14

I think we are all saying pretty much the same thing. It is a fair summary of the game today so I won't disagree with you
Old 24-01-2015, 18:30   #15

Another poor performance on the whole, improved 2nd half when the subs came on - got to give them a start next week because his current plan ain't working!!
FrankMoody is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..