Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25-03-2004, 09:20   #1
Senior Member+

Unhappy Telford United

According to BBC Radio Shropshire this morning, Telford United have gone into receivership. It was said that they will fulfil this season's fixtures. There's more information at http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foot...rd/3567049.stm.

Last edited by MikeA; 25-03-2004 at 15:15.
MikeA is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 25-03-2004, 09:23   #2
God Member

Re: Telford United

Saw this on BBC teletext this morning - be interesting to see if they deduct Telford any points, don't see how they can when Exeter have got away with it!
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2004, 11:23   #3
Senior Member+

well there may well be an omen to Eric here build (as you have done) up your club as and when you can afford to.
Hope they come out of it a better run outfit, for the sake of their fans
loweiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2004, 12:09   #4
Senior Member+

if they contact the chairman of Exeter or Leeds they will get some good advice, dont pay your players, dont pay your bills and the football league will look the other way.

Bazf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2004, 12:16   #5
Resting In Peace

I think that going into receivership is different than going into administration. When you go into receivership the Official Receiver moves in, takes over and tries to sell everything off to pay the creditors. This is when sometimes, somebody offers to buy all the assets, forms a new company and then carries on trading. If they go into receivership I do not think that they will be able to continue.
JEFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2004, 12:19   #6
God Member

Yeah, it's a bit like Karrimor...they went into receivership on a friday and were out by monday (purchased by Lonsdale)......
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2004, 12:22   #7
Resting In Peace

Telford United Football Club has gone into receivership, after chairman Andy Shaw hit money problems.
Banks have called in money owed by Shaw's three businesses - including Telford United - and the companies have collapsed.
Efforts are underway to save the club - and the business interests of its chairman Andy Shaw.
This morning meetings are underway at the club ground involving club sponsors and directors and a statement is expected around mid day.
The club's been told it can continue until the end of the season, after which time its future is uncertain. The board of directors say they're determined to press on to try to save the club.
They are looking for donations, sponsorship, outside investment and any other help they can get. The only income they have now is gate receipts
Mr Shaw called key staff to his construction company headquarters in Cannock yesterday explaining that the banks were calling in loans due to them.
Club commercial director Robin Eaves says a new backer must now be found.
He said: "Whether we can save the club, I don't know.
"We're obviously going to need the people of Telford to show us they want a (football) club - and we need someone to buy the club."
Former chairman Tony Esp said the club has always struggled to survive.
He said: "Basically you've a situation where the sort of money coming in just isn't enough and we did our best to control costs, but even so every year wewere losing between £50,000 and £70,000."
Old 25-03-2004, 12:27   #8
Senior Member+

You guys know the league better then I do, is there anyone we could get really cheap from Telford that would strengthen the squad for the final push and next year?

Bazf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2004, 12:34   #9
God Member

...Anyone know what their balance sheet looks like?
Old 25-03-2004, 15:10   #10
Senior Member+

Full of very big numbers in all the wrong columns I would guess.The company I worked for went into administration before Xmas,we ran as a going concern but no buyers appeared and the whole lot went down the pan;I hope for Telford's sake it's different in football!
Old 25-03-2004, 15:13   #11
Senior Member+

There's a lot more information and background on the following sites:

http://www.shropshirestar.com/sport/...le_14806.shtml
http://www.shropshirestar.com/sport/...le_14810.shtml
http://www.shropshirestar.com/news/p...le_14802.shtml
http://www.shropshirestar.com/news/p...le_14811.shtml
MikeA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2004, 15:16   #12
God Member

I don't see why we should weep for these clubs that are spending & living beyond their means...it's unfair on all the others that do keep within their budget & don't fork out extravagent sums on transfers & payroll to buy their way up the league. Chop 'em - Chop Telford, chop Leeds - chop the lot!
Old 25-03-2004, 15:34   #13
Resting In Peace

If I remember rightly at the start of the season the Telford Chairman said that he was going to 'buy the league' this season in order to get into the Football League. Looks like things have not gone his way. I agree it is not fair on other clubs who have kept within their budget, but by chopping these teams it is the supporters and players who suffer most.
Old 25-03-2004, 15:41   #14
Resting In Peace

LATEST

Will Telford keep playing?

The club has been told it can continue until the end of the season, but no more money is available. The only cash entering the club will come from gate receipts at the New Bucks Head.

What happens after that?

Someone - an individual or a consortium - will need to come forward to buy the club at the end of the season. This would mean a big gamble, as Telford United does not make money and has always found life a struggle.
Anyone taking on the club may well have to take on its debts, said to be in the region of £650,000.
Commercial director Robin Eaves estimates that any new owners would have to put £1 million a year into the club.

Will Telford get to keep its players?

Paying the players will be a big problem for the club, and it's likely that at least one or two will go, if only to bring in some money and reduce the wage bill.
Wages will be a big problem for Telford in coming weeks. Some mebers of the squad are on wages as high as £2,000 per week.

And what about Mick Jones, the manager?

He's offered to stay on and take no wages from the club until the end of the season.

Level with me. What are the chances?

Telford's directors are not crying wolf here.
This financial predicament comes during a season when achievements on the pitch have been well above par.
They reached the fourth round of the FA Cup for the first time since 1985, and seem on course for a place in the FA Trophy final.
Yet crowds at the New Bucks Head have been disappointing, especially in the cup games, despite the new-found success.
The directors want to keep Telford United and its newly-completed facilities together - but they are going to have a major job on their hands doing so.
Many football clubs have gone bust and risen from the ashes again under a new trading name - Leicester City being a most recent example - and if there's a will, Telford United will emerge from this in some form or other.
The question is, what will that be?
Old 25-03-2004, 15:52   #15
God Member

Eh? £2000 a week for Conference players.....that is outrageous. Telford deserve to go under

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..