Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-06-2011, 14:48   #1

Thanks for the great memories

Hello My name is Grant Stewart .son of the late George Stewart and I would like to thank all the Stanley fans who have written on your web about my Father . He always spoke very highly of the folks in Accrington and how friendly they were to him and my Mother and he loved playing for the club .My oldest son (Neil )lives in Chester with his wife (Jenni) and will be in Chester visiting them next month and they along with my wife ( Catherine) will be going to the friendly match against Blackburn on the 16 th July
Buckie Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 15-06-2011, 14:55   #2
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Thanks for the great memories

hi grant ta fer posting, twas a pleasure sad as it was to remember yer dad, who was me first "Football Idol" may he Rest in Peace.
Old 15-06-2011, 19:42   #3
Super Moderator

'ow do Grant, your old fella is very highly regarded amongst older Stanley fans, as one of the club's most talented players. It might be worth posting on the Stanley section of this forum, as many fans may miss your post here. Hope your family enjoy their visit next month.
Old 16-06-2011, 09:16   #4
Dan
Senior Member+

Hi Grant
I would like to echo the sentiments of others who have already posted and glad to hear you'll be making the trip.

I'd very much like to do something with you for the club programme and website. If this is of interest could you drop me an email? [email protected]

Thanks

The Dutch look like a huge jar of marmalade.”
- Barry Davies

“After a goalless first half, the score at half time is 0-0.”
- Brian Moore
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2011, 11:26   #5
Resting in Peace

Funnily enough, it was one of the great man's misses that sticks in my memory, as yet another header sailed over the bar at the Peel Park end. My dear old Dad said, "You know, he'd score loads more goals if only the pitch didn't slope so much!"
Redraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2011, 20:32   #6
Senior Member+

Thanks Grant. I was sorry I never got to speak to your Dad but it was lovely to speak to your Mum.

She did indeed have great memories of their time in Accrington as George gave to the Club's supporters - surely the Club's best ever striker not least because of the higher level he played at.

I hope your Mum is keeping well. I hope you and other members of the Stewart Clan will stay in touch with this Forum and the Club where your Dad's name will always be revered.

6th March 1962 - They turned off the gas but nothing could extinguish the flame!
Haggis316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 08:28   #7
Junior Member+

Hi - Don't know if anyone remembers me but I and two friends come down to see Stanley every year from Scotland [altho never made it last year unfortunately] but the club i support up here in Scotland, Brechin City, are playing Buckie Thistle in a friendly on Saturday and there will be a minute's silence before the game in memory of George. George is described by Buckie Thistle as "former player and Accrington Stanley legend" . So one wee fishing port in NE Scotland will remember George on Saturday and the contribution he made to Stanley

All the best for the new season
Angus Fairlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 12:17   #8
God Member

"George Stewart is probably the most successful Stanley player ever. Not only did he score 136 goals in his four seasons (no other Stanley player reached a century), but those four seasons were the best four in Stanley history."
Accrington Stanley History

A legend indeed!
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..