Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2004, 01:56   #1
I am Banned

That'll Show 'em

I don't have Sky television, and no doubt there are other contributors to this forum who will be able to tell us far more than I can about how the Hereford game came over on the box.

However, before such games I suspect that the Sky commentators secretly say "Oh, God, no ! Not another Conference match !"

Well, I hope that our game made the viewers sit up in the first minute and take an interest throughout. It was very exciting for the most part, hard but fair, and (no, don't shoot me, please) very well conducted by the referee and his assistants. Decent TV, then, I would have thought.

For Stanley fans this was surely an extremely important game , for which we all waited anxiously to hear what team the manager was putting out. When I heard John Briggs announce the line-up on the PA , I felt an overwhelming sense of relief that this was a team designed for positive action. I was optimistic, too, about the defence.

The players did not disappoint. I cannot make a worthwhile criticism of any of them, nor would I want to. Marvellous performance , and I suppose that if I have to pick a single player who helped us win it I'd choose Flynn with his inch-perfect defensive tackles . . . but who can argue with our sponsors' choice of Man Of The Match, Paul Mullin ?

A couple of million viewers saw last night what Accrington Stanley are capable of. And we're lucky enough to be able to see it for the rest of the season !
Henry Morton is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 12-10-2004, 08:26   #2
rob

Re: That'll Show 'em

to be fair to everyone at sky, they all seem get more excited about coming to grounds outside the premiership for a change, and everyone from the directors and producers through to the commentators, cameramen and the blokes who lay the cables all treat us with the same respect we would expect if we were at the top of the english game.

a good crowd and hopefully some of the folk who watched at home will have been impressed with the drama and come along to our next home match. the main thing was getting the three points! in fact i think we'll ask sky to come back in november!
rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 09:54   #3
Super Moderator

Also, a great display of banners before the match. I couldn't see them properly as I was stood behind them at the top of the Clayton End, but I bet they looked great on TV. The whole thing was organised very professionally and obviously a lot of work had gone into them. Well-done to everyone concerned.
Wynonie Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 10:10   #4
Junior Member+

I live in spain, so i dont the to see many stanley games, so i was counting down the days till the Hereford, and they definatley did not disappoint! cracking performance!!
Sophi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 11:21   #5

Smile Re: That'll Show 'em

Superb performance, as stated, by the whole team. Was it the world's biggest coincidence that it happened the first time for ages that Smithy was chosen ahead of RW? (He played at Dagenham, another fine result, out of necessity). His performance and other positive moves won the match for us.
qualtrough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 12:58   #6

yeah well played to smithy.

The flags did look good but the camera didnt get all of the ASFC onto it it missed out the C.
:engsmil: 4-4-2 is the future :engsmil:
Stanleyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 14:08   #7

Last nate was the best perforemance for a long while but whay could they have not played like for the previous few games against Tamworth, Farnborough (i did not go but from what i heard it was a bad performance), Northwich, and the first hour or so against gravesend.
rishton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 14:42   #8
Junior Member+

Last night was my first game this season but from what I saw, the few previous displays must have been aweful because apart from the 'commitment' last night, there was a distinct lack of quality (from Stanley atleast). We played very much on the counter and Hereford played the better football. But well done to the lads for a battling performance against a very good Hereford side.
Creweboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 15:10   #9
Senior Member+

i agree we didnt play particulary well, we gave the ball away too much and lutel wasnt in the game as much as he can be, smithy did well but hes still dodgy with his feet nearly inviting them on runs with his passes. we did battle though and never gave up which i applaud all the players for.
AccyStanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 20:21   #10
Senior Member+

Talking Re: That'll Show 'em

As one of the Stanley Fans who was forced to watch on T.V. (at home with a bottle of beer - can't do that at the ground), I have to say, everything came across brilliantly. O.K. so Hereford might have been the better team (just), but Accy stuck the ball in the back of the net on more occasions which is what counts. Yes the banners looked great on T.V. I do hope Sky come again, because on the occasions I can't get there, through work or otherwise, at least I can get the match taped or watch live. I thought all the comments from the Sky team were fair, although a certain ex Doncaster manager (Ian Snodin) thinks Hereford will be there or there abouts but Stanley might just be nearly men again. He's entitled to his opinion. Keep up the good work lads, and BTW, the singing from the terraces was AWESOME.

Piston broke owd geezer, Stanley supporter and shareholder, Retired and loving it
Addendum, the views I express on here are my own, if you don't like them: TOUGH!

Last edited by Outback Ozzy; 12-10-2004 at 20:22.
Outback Ozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 20:36   #11
Senior Member+

Yeh the noise from us was brilliant yesterday......Hereford were the better team on the night but it's the final score that counts.....
Smiffy16 is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..