Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2012, 21:37   #31
Resting in Peace

Re: The Better Early than start at half time Burton Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile on Spencer St View Post
Not wishing to interrupt this nostalgia-fest about Rovers, but a quick look at some statistics makes for interesting, if concerning reading regarding scoring goals.

According to a Football League web site, in all competitions this season, Stanley's top four strikers are Boco, Amond, Joyce and Molyneaux, with Boco having 20 shots on target and 18 off. In total these four have had 55 shots on and 41 off target.
In comparison (and purely as that), Oxford Utd, one place below Stanley in the League, have four strikers who have made 87 shots on and 76 off target.
Good point, but it's the lack of quality and power of the shots that concerns me. I can't remember a single goal we have scored for ages which compares with the cannonballs that Jimmy used to fire off regularly, with the possible exception of Beattie's last amazing strike.
Redraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 11-12-2012, 21:41   #32
God Member

We haven't been getting shots away from players inside the box with any regularity since the Symes/Grant season. Even in the play-off season a huge chunk of our goals came from outside the box. Our rejection of playing two forward players is guilty for this in my opinion. At best it helped us move the ball better from back to front, at worst it made us profligate.
cashman likes this.
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 22:46   #33
Senior Member+

shaker totally agree we did not have a single shot from inside the box on sunday, a couple of Rommy attempts, Luke having a go and a fantastic punt from the keeper we were toothless. Surely the majority of goals do come within 18 yards but we don't seem to have that predatory instinct and consequently will struggle to win games if we can't pressurise teams, either home or away, within their own box we will not win as many as we lose or draw. Without wishing to be a tactical dinosaur 2 up front always offers more options to me
Revived Red likes this.
Old 13-12-2012, 11:28   #34
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nige b View Post
Without wishing to be a tactical dinosaur 2 up front always offers more options to me
Jings, I must even older than a dinosaur because I can remember when teams lined up with 2-3-5. 5 attackers! It seems unbelievable now. Mind you that was when pitches were so bad it took several hours to run from one end to the other and the half time refreshment was a Capstan Full Strength with your tea.
cashman and yonmon like this.
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2012, 12:00   #35
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

That was proper football Exile 2 wingers 3 strikers.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..