Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree45Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2016, 09:36   #61
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: The Cheltenham Roar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Didsbury View Post
Choirboy- it was the best referee performance I've seen at the Wham.
Sorry not a hope in hell,The guy who was sent off (24) should have gone in the first half,He commited a foul,directly in front of us , corner of clayton end cowshed, was a booking all day no doubt at all, the ref bottled it completely.no doubt cos he had just booked him 6/7 mins previously.
choirboy likes this.
Old 09-10-2016, 10:21   #62
Full Member+

It was Pearson's aimless punt down the middle at chest height leading to the free kick which lead to the corner which cost the goal. Playing against ten we needed to keep possession better than that, and if not clear it further into the channels where there is no immediate danger of a counter attack. Poor game and result all round considering.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 12:47   #63
God Member

I didn't think Cheltenham were a poor side Morecambe were worse and beat us in the first 10 minutes we were all over them score then and it is a different game I just think that at home we are,nt playing with the swagger a confident team brings with it we just need to keep the passing game going don't,t lose the ball and give silly free kicks away with a minute to go which led to their goal, some positive performance,s for me yesterday think Vyner,s looking better every game and he,s only 19 O,Sullivan starting to go past people and a strong bench Taylor - Fletcher probably needs a game or two but hopefully signs for the season and pops a few in the net hopefully against his former club next week.
andyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 12:52   #64
Senior Member+

Busby babes they always did me proud
DAV007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 11:22   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile on Spencer St View Post
No League 2 team is so poor that they haven't figured out how to frustrate Stanley by pressing them constantly. Cambridge looked pretty average.

From watching yesterday's 'highlights' (sic) one of the questions would be why did Mr. Chapman choose to parry the header that lead to their goal? I know all about light balls moving in the air and all that stuff, but the header wasn't that hard. The Cheltenham keeper simply caught an equally good header from Rommy. Chapman is a giant, he could touch the bar standing still. Why can't keepers hold onto balls that are headed more or less straight at them? An example of panic, as Professor Coleman mentioned?
I agree. Quite a few around me thought Chapman should have either punched it away properly or tipped it over the bar.
Old 10-10-2016, 14:23   #66

I guess you're asking for trouble if you miss three headers in and around your own 18 yrd line.
Inspector Morse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 21:29   #67

I was too far away from the Boco shove incident to comment and will accept the ref got it horribly wrong, even though I didn't think pushing a player over was a sending off offence.

But, that apart, give me a ref like him any day in preference to the shocking one from the previous match. That the football hardly flowed this Saturday was no fault of the ref.
Lord Stiffupperlip likes this.
Lord Didsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 22:26   #68

But, that apart, give me a ref like him any day in preference to the shocking one from the previous match. That the football hardly flowed this Saturday was no fault of the ref.[/QUOTE]

Absolutely! We can bicker till the cows come home about the merits of the officials, but they weren't responsible for Stanley poor performance. After all, the ref correctly red carded one of their players and disallowed a goal for offside. Had he chose to ignore the linesman, we would have lost the game 1-2.
We all get frustrated when things don't go to plan & look for scapegoats to blame, referees, poor substitutions etc., but Stanley can only blame themselves for allowing the ten men of Cheltenham to equalise in the dying minutes.
Lord Stiffupperlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 04:09   #69
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Didsbury View Post
I was too far away from the Boco shove incident to comment and will accept the ref got it horribly wrong, even though I didn't think pushing a player over was a sending off offence.

But, that apart, give me a ref like him any day in preference to the shocking one from the previous match. That the football hardly flowed this Saturday was no fault of the ref.
Except it wasn't just a push, as I think someone else said it was highly dangerous play - it's a wonder Rommy wasn't seriously injured but then as we know the lad will run through brick walls & carry on playing - you only have to remember the horrific injury he received in the Wimbledon play off game.
I suppose the ref was a little better at times than the one in the previous home game but that's hardly the same thing as being a decent one as Darren England is well known for being absolutely pants (& that's being polite!) He's placed highly in the **** Ref's Database on the Morecambe forum
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 04:15   #70
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Stiffupperlip View Post
Absolutely! We can bicker till the cows come home about the merits of the officials, but they weren't responsible for Stanley poor performance. After all, the ref correctly red carded one of their players and disallowed a goal for offside. Had he chose to ignore the linesman, we would have lost the game 1-2.
We all get frustrated when things don't go to plan & look for scapegoats to blame, referees, poor substitutions etc., but Stanley can only blame themselves for allowing the ten men of Cheltenham to equalise in the dying minutes.[/QUOTE]

I don't think anyone has blamed the ref or used him as a scapegoat for our lacklustre performance - we were definitely way under par - but he certainly didn't help matters due to his inept decisions
Old 11-10-2016, 08:04   #71

The Cheltenham goal was far too much like Donny's second on the opening day for my liking.
Lost in Cornwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 10:09   #72
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccyMad View Post

I don't think anyone has blamed the ref or used him as a scapegoat for our lacklustre performance - we were definitely way under par - but he certainly didn't help matters due to his inept decisions
No-one at all has blamed the ref for our inept performance, hard for some to grasp it seems.
Old 11-10-2016, 12:21   #73

Whilst I remember, over on that much despised and derided electronic communications media channel known as Twitter, the Cheltenham fans are not entirely happy with our Terry. Claim he dived (and then compounded his sins with over enthusiastic goal celebrations). I must admit that when the ref blew I didn't know if it was for a foul or for simulation. Here's a photograph of the said incident..... with the caption "Who Shot Terry Gornell"

Lord Didsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 12:50   #74
Full Member+

He was chopped down and it should have been a straight red.

What is the point of showing that picture on its own? Are you saying his arms should be down by his side an not breaking is fall, or is the criticism that he looked like he was possibly appealing mid air. He was clean through and chopped down with no attempt at the ball.
cashman and choirboy like this.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 13:14   #75
God Member

They've clearly airbrushed out their players from the photo of Terry being chopped down - looking at that they make it look like he was all on his own on the pitch & fell over fresh air!!
Yeah, ok he went towards their fans when celebrating but it was hardly an over the top celebration - sour grapes more like, if they should've treated him better at Cheltenham Terry might've given them some respect
cashman likes this.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..