Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2004, 11:22   #16
Super Moderator

Re: The goalkeeper situation

The goalkeeping situation is worrying but what's happened has happened and we've got to look forward to the future now. Hopefully, Petkovic will get his work permit from the DOE in the near future. Also, exciting news about two ex-premiership players being lined up for trials - including a former international goalkeeper!
Wynonie Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 12-07-2004, 11:23   #17
Senior Member+

Gotta say Shotgun, Eric and JC seem to be shrewd businessmen, and they have said that they will not be held to ransom over the wages. OK £100 might not seem a lot and as you rightly say, Jamo has been an excellent servant for the club and JK did a brilliant job last season and is an semi pro international. However, what about Jason Petkovic, and international goalie of some standing, assuming the work permit situation gets sorted, plus they are having a look at others. OK reports I have read on this sight seem to say that both goalies on trial at the weekend match against Burnley weren't much cop, but lets give them a chance to prove themselves. You only have to look at what happened to Telford and the old Accrington Stanley (1962) as well as a number of other clubs to see that unless the finances are right the team may well go under. I am certain that none of us wants that to happen and we certainly don't want to be known as the team that went bust twice!!!

Piston broke owd geezer, Stanley supporter and shareholder, Retired and loving it
Addendum, the views I express on here are my own, if you don't like them: TOUGH!
Outback Ozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 12:36   #18
Resting In Peace

Well said Ozzy. O.K. Kennedy only wanted an extra £100 per week, but what was this an extra £100 on. I am sure that the Conference cap wages, are we not only allowed to spend 65% of our previous year's turnover on players and wages. If so we have to be careful. Good to hear that we will have an experienced defender and goalkeeper on trial, that is what we need. I wonder if the goalkeeper is Mark Crossley - he was playing for Sheff Wed in the masters yesterday, Mike Marsh and John Durnin were playing for Liverpool at the same tournament, I cannot think who the defender may be.
JEFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 12:43   #19
God Member

Coming "up" to Accrington...Maybe the players are based below us geographicaly

Signed....Sherlock of Accrington
Old 12-07-2004, 12:49   #20
Super Moderator

I agree, Jeff, but just to get back to Saturday, what did you think of our performance (goalkeepers excepted)? I'm over the moon at the moment because I think we have the makings of team that's going to be even better than last season's - and we're still adding to it! That, to me, is a truly exciting prospect and I would have thought that a lot of other people felt the same, but apart from AccyMad, everyone seems pretty indifferent. Why?
Old 12-07-2004, 13:14   #21
Resting In Peace

I was very impressed last Saturday, If Evil plays like he did for all of the coming season, then God help the opposition defenders, I thought that Howson was steady at full back, Jagielka was steady, Craney did not look too fit to me, but he showed some decent touches, Hughes was O.K. in defence, all in all it was a very impressive performance which gives me confidence for the coming season. Looking forward to Wednesday, Evil should be up for this game against Rochdale. Back to the goalkeepers maybe David Seaman is coming out of retirement and is on trial at Stanley.
Old 12-07-2004, 13:49   #22
Super Moderator

A pretty fair summary of things. I think Craney will come good after further training. The defence didn't make make me nervous the way Stanley defences have in the past.

If it's Seaman that pony-tail will have to go!
Old 12-07-2004, 18:40   #23

I agree with Mr Harris, the lads played well on Saturday, and the result flattered Burnley who should have been able to do a lot more considering they have a full team. It was great to be back at the IES with a good gate, a cold wind and rain, too. It makes me proud to be an Accringtonian, even if I do have to live in poncey Cheshire!
Chester Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 20:55   #24
Senior Member+

i can asure you now its not seaman
Old 13-07-2004, 09:31   #25
Resting In Peace

I was only joking when I said Seaman, as I said I think it may be Mark Crossley
Old 13-07-2004, 12:09   #26
I am Banned

Mark crossley is going on trial at a championship club... i cant remember which one but i will let you all know when i do.
Fearon1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2004, 17:03   #27
I am Banned

Craig Mawson is on a free.. he is a brilliant keeper, he was the morecombe keeper for the last few years.. 24 years old he would be a good signing. he is training with York City to keep his fitness up and that wile he finds a new club, he didnt want to sign a new contract with morecombe.
He is my goalkeeper coach at Burnley and i mentioned to him that stanley didnt have a keeper and he sed he is willing to talk to any club in the conference but his main aim is to get back into the football league within 2 years. (his reason for not signing a new deal at morecombe was that they offered him a 3yr deal and he only wants a 1yr deal)

York city are close to signing former burnley keeper paul crichton on a free from Norwich, he will be the best keeper in the conference if they sign him (top quality he is)
Old 13-07-2004, 17:07   #28
Junior Member+

i think it would b a gdsingin if we got craig mawson, i have sin him play and i think i he will b gd for the stanley boys
Old 13-07-2004, 19:10   #29
Senior Member+

i think york have signed that paul crichton
Old 13-07-2004, 20:11   #30
I am Banned

has he actually signed... he hadnt signed at 3pm today.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..