Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 24-01-2012, 09:32   #121
God Member

Re: The King is gone = new management, who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccawozzagod View Post
Patto, Benny Hill (Joe) and goalkeeping coach Billy Stewart all placed on gardening leave whilst the picture becomes clearer - according to Chris Flanagan.
Not suprising. Standard practice for half if not all the backroom staff to go with the manager. Fairly sure one of the Rochdale fans said Hill had taken the previous lot.
Old 24-01-2012, 09:35   #122
God Member

Re: New Manager Thread....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walts10 View Post
Ashley Hoskin??? Can Stanley afford a man who sells cheese for a living, get in the real world!!!
Edam well better believe it!
Old 24-01-2012, 09:37   #123

I heard the news yesterday via the internet and then phoned my mate on my mobile to tell him bad news - Got me thinking that I had neither internet or a mobile the last time we were looking for a manger - That brought it home to me just how long this great man had been custodian of our club and that such a lot has happened during those glorious years. Hope we get the next appointment right.
smobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2012, 09:42   #124

What about Carl Garner, working miralces at Clitheroe!!!
Walts10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2012, 09:43   #125
Senior Member+

Quote:
Patto, Benny Hill (Joe) and goalkeeping coach Billy Stewart all placed on gardening leave whilst the picture becomes clearer - according to Chris Flanagan.
wooow,less of the benny hill,hes still a legend in Wigan
football19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2012, 09:47   #126
God Member

In the circumstances, happy with our temporary replacements, it gives us consistency going into what will be a tough game on Saturday, if they do well who knows? If not, I hope the club bring the right person in for the job & don't rush anything.
All the best to Coley & Jimmy in their new venture, must have been a wrench to leave but maybe they just felt it was the right time & right opportunity for them - only they can answer that - for the odd one or two to try & blame the new regime for them going is ridiculous - without that new regime there wouldn't have been a club these past couple of years for them to depart from
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2012, 09:47   #127

Re: New Manager Thread....

Quote:
Edam well better believe it!
You'd Chedder believe it
Old 24-01-2012, 09:48   #128
God Member

Quote:
Ashley Hoskin??? Can Stanley afford a man who sells cheese for a living, get in the real world!!!
Quote:
What about Carl Garner, working miralces at Clitheroe!!!

You can always tell when there's a time of crisis, along comes a Troll
Old 24-01-2012, 09:48   #129
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by smobile View Post
Paul Buckle did a decent job at Torquay on a budget
Took all the team and left them in the lurch as soon as he had a better offer.

No thanks

Old 24-01-2012, 09:52   #130

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatgaz182 View Post
Took all the team and left them in the lurch as soon as he had a better offer.

No thanks

It's what the majority of managers do, will probably find out in the next few weeks that Coley is no different - Managers like to work with what they know.
Old 24-01-2012, 09:56   #131
Junior Member+

Re: The King is going......

Quote:
Paul Cook would be the favourite I reckon, BUT, I'd imagine that Sligo would be reasonably well paid as one of the best jobs in Ireland. That would come down to ambition and whether he wants a shop window job back in England.

For me I'd want someone young and ambitious, with fairly good contacts around the North West. He'd need to understand our club, would need to be fairly cheap, would need to be liked by the fans and would need the ability to polish turds (this weeks saying i think) - all attributes that Coley had in abundance when he arrived 12 years ago. That man today, for me, is Liam Watson at Southport.

Patterson's a good shout though.

But Coley staying would be far better.
Hi lads Sligo Rovers fan here. I personally think Paul is a shoe in for the job. The actions of our board in recent weeks/month suggest they don't want him there. They've brought in an assistant manager who the board have made no secret of there fondness towards him ( Ian Foster, another scouser I think? ) and are many here in Sligo are touting him to take over from Cook. It would suggest his departure is imminent.

The board also allowed Paul to hold talks with a league rival ( Derry City ) a couple of weeks ago. A move which would have been a step sideways at most, as Sligo finished ahead of Derry last season. The only thing that made the move an ounce of sense was that there is direct flights from Derry to Liverpool. I think Cook's family still live in Liverpool..

He was all set to take the St. Johnstone job in Scotland, compensation agreed too, except he wasn't allowed bring his back room team with him and was told he had to lower the budget. Wasn't happy with that criteria so he pulled out.

Shamrock Rovers also here in Ireland were reportedly after him when Michael O'Neill left to take the Northern Ireland job, but nothing materialised there either.

The fact is, 3 jobs have come up in the past 6 months or so, and he has been firmly in contention for them all. The fact the Sligo board willingly allow him to hold talks with other league rivals, suggest they aren't exactly over the moon with him.
Rover1929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2012, 10:10   #132

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
You can always tell when there's a time of crisis, along comes a Troll
On a serious note, Carl Garner has more managerial experience than Hoskin yet people on here want him to come cus he used to play for the club. Its ridiculous. Its gotta be a 3 way between Watson, Cook and Flitcroft and to be honest Flitcroft hasn't really done a great deal at Chorley has he. Southport are going fantaticly under Watson and obviously Cook would be the 'fans' choice. Plus he could maybe tap into some sources in Ireland as well as over here.
Walts10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2012, 10:25   #133
God Member

Quote:
On a serious note, Carl Garner has more managerial experience than Hoskin yet people on here want him to come cus he used to play for the club. Its ridiculous. Its gotta be a 3 way between Watson, Cook and Flitcroft and to be honest Flitcroft hasn't really done a great deal at Chorley has he. Southport are going fantaticly under Watson and obviously Cook would be the 'fans' choice. Plus he could maybe tap into some sources in Ireland as well as over here.
Fairly sure without reading back that Hoskin was mentioned as part of a team including Cook. Depends what you mean by managerial experience, does managing a NWC team give you more qualification than managing a team of full time pro's even if it's reserve football.

As has been mentioned before whoever does the job has to not only be a manager on match days, they need to know how the 'business' of league football works and the contacts in it. If they don't know the 'funny' handshakes they would never survive
Old 24-01-2012, 10:41   #134
Senior Member+

Odds are in from Stan James.

Paul Cook the 2/1 fav to take over a Liam Watson 5/1 2nd Fav.

Intresting that Tilson, Hamann & Laws get a mention.

StanJames.com - Football - Manager Specials - Next Manager Markets
Nickelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2012, 10:43   #135
God Member

WALTS10 - I thought it was an anagram of L WATSon who played number 10 for us!!!!

I think part of the reason that Hoskin would be supported is that yes he played for the club, yes he was incredibly popular with the fans, yes he's a local lad and fully understands the club, town and how the two should be in tangent, but that he has also managed the reserve side and has done a lot of work over the years with the kids, both at Accrington and at Burnley - as well as running his own Youth Development thingy. He has contacts albeit not as many as some others might have

Carl Garner? I can't say I'm familiar with what he has or is acheiving at Clitheroe but its far too down the ladder for him to have contacts at the right end of what we need.

Same could be said for Flitcroft and Jansen, but they do have contacts higher up the leagues particularly through Rovers - and would fetch some Rovers fans into the club

Paul Cook is the most obvious for many reasons but the worry would be whether we could financially match what he would expect for a wage bill or transfer budget.

Watson for me though.

Last edited by maccawozzagod; 24-01-2012 at 10:49.
maccawozzagod is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..