Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree109Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 29-07-2013, 13:42   #166
Senior Member+

Re: The new squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
I really like the look of the guy on trial, Watson think he will be a very good addition if we sign him.
Do we need another centre-back??,surely a centre mid,striker,wide man would be a better option.
We have already got four donkeys (sorry centre backs ) fighting for two positions
football19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 29-07-2013, 13:47   #167
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

If a pony is n improvement on a donkey, I would say yes. seems to me hes a young man that can distribute the ball fairly well, thats summat we aint always had in my view.
football19 likes this.

Last edited by cashman; 29-07-2013 at 13:56.
cashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2013, 14:46   #168
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by football19 View Post
...i also like Hatfield in that role,rather than out wide.

Agree about Hatfield; for a while under Professor Coleman he seemed not to be in favour (non-Scouser?) but he's a useful player and has popped up with the odd goal.
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2013, 15:50   #169

The big centre back does look quite useful

I dont think our system at the the moment is anything more complicated than 4-4-2, I think the problem is we havnt got any natural attacking wide players: Hatfield is better in the centre and drifts inside & Wilson is a left back.
FrankMoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2013, 19:44   #170
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMoody View Post
The big centre back does look quite useful

I dont think our system at the the moment is anything more complicated than 4-4-2, I think the problem is we havnt got any natural attacking wide players: Hatfield is better in the centre and drifts inside & Wilson is a left back.
That's spot on Frank,and we will get mullered if we don't have a presence in the middle of the park,playing4-4-2
FrankMoody likes this.
Old 29-07-2013, 19:54   #171
Resting in Peace

Quote:
That's spot on Frank,and we will get mullered if we don't have a presence in the middle of the park,playing4-4-2
It's a long shot, but perhaps Watson could be that "presence"?
Redraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2013, 20:05   #172
Senior Member+

Would imagine they would have a look at him and dean together as we have seen all other combinations this season.I expect Acci to offer him something,as he seems to have got over his injury problems and can obviously can play a bit.
Like all young lads he just needs games,just look at Aldred when he got his chance
cashman and FrankMoody like this.
Old 29-07-2013, 20:57   #173
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraine View Post
It's a long shot, but perhaps Watson could be that "presence"?
Agree was thinking along those lines meself, could possibly be the answer.
Old 30-07-2013, 07:33   #174
God Member

There are choices on the Left hand side Liddle & Wilson, on the right side Hunt then from Winnard, Murphy, Hatfield, Windass & probably others, centre defence from Aldred, Watson, Winnard, Atkinson, Murphy & for centre midfield Joyce, Clarke, Murphy, Hatfield, Mingoia, Windass & Miller then up front from Webber, Gray, Carver & McCartan (assuming Watson & Mingoia sign)

So there are plenty of permutations for the positions not quite sure what our starting eleven will be but still depth to change it from the bench if needed and there is certainly plenty of Football League Experience between them all something we may not have had in previous seasons.

On Stanley On
Revived Red likes this.

One thing I can give and still keep: my word.

SFFS
Pendle Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2013, 10:11   #175
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendle Red View Post
There are choices on the Left hand side Liddle & Wilson, on the right side Hunt then from Winnard, Murphy, Hatfield, Windass & probably others, centre defence from Aldred, Watson, Winnard, Atkinson, Murphy & for centre midfield Joyce, Clarke, Murphy, Hatfield, Mingoia, Windass & Miller then up front from Webber, Gray, Carver & McCartan (assuming Watson & Mingoia sign)

So there are plenty of permutations for the positions not quite sure what our starting eleven will be but still depth to change it from the bench if needed and there is certainly plenty of Football League Experience between them all something we may not have had in previous seasons.

On Stanley On
Pendle,there are lots of options,but my concern is,out of the four strikers you mentioned,how many league/cup goals have they scored between them over the last 2/3 years ??.
No doubt someone will have the answer,but i suspect,not many !!
Old 30-07-2013, 10:18   #176
God Member

Quote:
Pendle,there are lots of options,but my concern is,out of the four strikers you mentioned,how many league/cup goals have they scored between them over the last 2/3 years ??.
I do share your concern but we were not exactly prolific in the striker stakes last season or the season before, I would expect somebody who has played at the highest level however to know what he is doing particularly as he played that role himself.

One thing I can give and still keep: my word.

SFFS
Pendle Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2013, 10:22   #177
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Thing is though football19, How many clubs in our division have got prolific strikers? not that many i would presume, the goals have to come from everywhere in the main i would presume. Then again another question is what yeh regard as prolific?, around 20 a season in my view being a goal every other game approx. Also how many of our strikers have remained 2/3 yrs recently?

Last edited by cashman; 30-07-2013 at 10:27.
cashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2013, 10:37   #178
Senior Member+

You all clearly missed James Beattie on talksport, he was confident and said he would bring in some surprise signings.

Patience.

I thing Beattie will keep us up.
Don't forget, as experienced as James is, it will be a huge learning curve for him this season.
If we survive, next season I think he will move us right up the table.

Its got to be at least a 2-3 year plan for James.
I'm sure he like all of us would love to get near the playoffs this season, and i'm sure he and the players will be trying to (and so they should).
But medium term is where the proof will be if James can learn fast, continue to improve and be visionary about the squad he wants.

He needs to avoid doing a Leam and going on a long barren run. He won get the same excuses about not being his squad, etc.
Although the losing (or no winning) run Leam went on is rare, as not many managers get as long as Leam did.

We will be fine, watch this space.

P.S. I still love John Coleman.
DAV007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2013, 10:43   #179
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Have never listened to Talksport in me life Davo, don't even know where abouts it is. But i'm as confident as yeh say beats was, It will be a huge learning curve fer the guy, But ive never regarded him as a numpty, so reckon he will learn n do ok. By the way i still love Bridgit Bardot, but shes well knackered now pmsl
Old 30-07-2013, 12:53   #180
Senior Member+

I am ever more worried now Davo has adopted a new positive attitude !!.

Was once told (in football circles) dont believe a word anyone tells you until the ink on the contract is dry.

So i will climb back on the my big fence

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..