Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-01-2005, 01:45   #1
I am Banned

The New "Stanley 50 / 50 Draw"

Last Tuesday's fixture against York City in the Conference Cup had more than one satisfactory outcome.

The score was, of course, in Stanley's favour - but the other highly significant result on the night was the success of the 50/50 Draw.

For those readers who are unfamiliar with the situation, we've run a Half-Time Draw for many years. It's brought in a small but regular income for ASFC and has succeeded because of the generosity of its sponsors, the hard work of its ticket sellers, and the dogged willingness of the fans to spend a pound or two in the most unselfish of causes.

However, there has been an increasing demand from spectators to make the "Major Prize" more attractive. This feedback has been taken on board by the ticket sellers and has been conveyed to the Club's Chairman over the last few months.

As a result I'm delighted that Eric Whalley and Lottery Manager Mick Schultz have introduced the 50/50 Draw in which 50% of the proceeds from ticket sales goes to the Club and the other 50% goes to the Lucky Winner !

You may have noticed that the attendance at the IES on Tuesday was 392, but you probably weren't aware that the sale of 50/50 tickets was £121.
This is an amazing figure which means that more than 30% of spectators bought a ticket ! Of course, some people bought more than one ticket. Nevertheless, this percentage take-up is awesome and can only augur well for this exciting new development. Imagine how much you could win with a 3,000 attendance (on second thoughts, you don't need to imagine it ; one of our fans brought an £800 prize back from Morecambe's 50/50 a couple of seasons ago !)

On behalf of Mick, Kate, Sam, Shirley and myself I'd like to thank our past sponsors including Master Butchers Ted Feathers, Benny at the Crown Inn, the Balti Stan Restaurant, the Accrington Stanley European Vineyards(!), and everyone else who has contributed to the Half-Time Draw.

So it's a warm welcome to our new sponsor for the 50/50 Draw , Vic Allonby - Dairyman - Ltd. Most Accringtonians know the enormous contribution which Vic and his family have made to the Club in recent years - and not just financially, but in their participation and enthusiasm too.

So please support the new Draw, support our sponsor, and I look forward to greeting our first £1,000 Winner very soon !
Henry Morton is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 31-01-2005, 12:28   #2

Re: The New "Stanley 50 / 50 Draw"

Thanks for the compliments Henry. please note I have only sponsored the first batch of tickets, can't afford to sponsor it forever.

What do others think of the draw in comparison to the old half time draw?
Bottletop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2005, 17:17   #3
Senior Member+

Much more tempting..........

But I am not a gambling man.
simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 02:03   #4
I am Banned

I'm sorry for making such a fool of myself.

I actually believed that the 50/50 draw was in place.

I'm embarrassed, humiliated , insulted and offended to find that I had it totally wrong.

Obviously the Club places no value on "amateurs" such as Kate, Sam and myself who try to present themselves in such a way that reflects well upon the Club.

We try to dress reasonably well, engage in a friendly manner with the supporters,and raise money for the Club whilst not seeking any commission for ourselves.

Clearly, we don't have a clue how to represent Accrington Stanley ; in future we should dress in scruffy shell-suits, pester fans, not wear any ASFC colours, not wear any ID, and continually make racist "jokes" all around the ground.

Oscar Wilde once said that a cynic knows the price of everything but the value of nothing.

This is one very, very, cynical football club from which I now announce my resignation.
Henry Morton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 02:14   #5
God Member

I take it someones upset you henry?
Old 06-02-2005, 13:46   #6

I agree with everything Henry says, we all do our best to help the club in our own little way just to be stabbed in the back.
Every Stanley fan knows Henry,Kate and Sam and know they do a good job so why bring in some BRUISER from Radcliffe to replace them?
I am totally disgusted with the club after spending hard earned cash on the printing costs for the 50/50 draw tickets, only to find they where sold once to away fans and the second to a minor crowd for a cup game. The draw as NEVER been given a proper chance.
Old 06-02-2005, 14:22   #7

but reeli, how many suggestions by the supporters club are actually supported by the club?
not enough
woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 15:16   #8
Full Member+

Have I missed something here? Clearly Henry is very upset and I'm quite sure that I'm not alone in thinking that there must be many Stanley fans who value extremely highly the work that he and his team of helpers have put in so regularly throughout this and previous seasons. What has happened to cause this upset? I certainly have no idea. Can we do anything about it, and if not, who can? Come on Henry, I'm sure the vast majority of fans would hate to lose you and if we can help to put things right, I'm sure we are all willing to try to do so.
Oldgobbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 15:26   #9
Senior Member+

How about putting on the whole story so we can maybe help by writing to the club or getting an answer from the powers that be?

Bazf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 16:08   #10

Quite simple really, the half time draw was hard to sell due to crap prizes, suggesstions to change it fell on deaf ears for many a month, When it was decided to give the 50/50 draw a go I was asked to sponsor the cost of the tickets being printed. Which I agreed to pay for 5,000 yet the club ordered 10,000. Henry ,Kate and Sam where willing to sell them as they have done in the past with the half time draw, what happens? yesterday some bruiser from Radcliffe is there selling "half time draw" with a cash prize of 100pounds YES 100POUNDS not 20quid or match tickets like Henry, Kate and Sam had to offer, also a 50quid cut out slip in the programme which will not be used as it will ruin your program, Henry , Kate and Sam where reduced to selling programs.
So now you will understand why Henry is upset as all 3 where treat like mushrooms!!!
Old 06-02-2005, 16:22   #11
God Member

So where these 100 quid prize tickets summat to do with stanley or did they just let him in for summat... still a bit confused?
Old 06-02-2005, 16:32   #12

The club had brought this bruiser in as he his supposed to be able to sell snow to eskimo's!!!
But if Henry, Kate and Sam had in the past a 100quid prize to offer I am sure they would have been able to sell a lot more,
There was no need to bring a stranger in.
Old 06-02-2005, 20:16   #13

I for one will not buy another raffle ticket from this person. His racist comments have no place in this family club. What an earth are yopu thinking of allowing someone like this to represent the club in such a high profuile way... a total disgrace!
fettler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 21:43   #14
Senior Member+

This is very wrong...!!!!!! For so many reason's

WHY!!!!!!! has such LOYAL servants to the club been kept in the dark, and then apparently been treated so badly????????? Henry and the other usual's where......ARE...

1 Very smart,
2 Looked part of Accrington Stanley,
3 Polite and friendly,
4 Accrington Stanley FANS through and through,
5 Well known and TRUSTED
6 Part of the friendly Family that is, one of Accrington Stanleys biggest asset's!!!!!

I have never bought tickets because I do not gamble. But I certainly would have not have any reservations of buying from Henry if I did.

Then on saturday I saw what a first looked like a football hooligan walking through the crowd, with no cries of "HALF TIME DRAW" then he approached a fan and thrust a ticket under his nose, and said " you want one", and walked off. At this time I thought who is that undesirable man selling tickets???????????????
My wife who sits in the stands was approached DIRECTLY by him and in a FORCFUL manner asked if she wanted a ticket, she is tough and not easily led.. He APPEARS

1 Scruffy,
2 Ill mannered,
3 Does not look like anything to do with Accrington Stanley,
4 Does not look trustworthy,

The sad outcome I can see coming from this is a less than pleasurable experience because some meathead has spoiled there afternoon, with forcefull ticket touting... And a few less paying guest's?????

We need an explanation................
simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005, 10:54   #15

Rumour is that Cookie insisted on every player buying £5 worth of tickets from him before the match. Has he a vested interest in this guy being a success?
I didn't have the "pleasure" of meeting the guy but I will have no qualms in talking to Eric directly if I experience anything like the above. Did anyone report his racist comments to Mick?
Alice is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..