Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree60Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25-03-2017, 20:31   #46
Senior Member+

Re: The Official Great Grimsby Thread

Lord D.......
I agree with most of your 'Player Scores' today with the exception of a 4 for Pearson! I thought that he did as well as the rest of the players and was about a 7 or 7.5.
I also thought that your observations about the referee are somewhat odd. It was the 87th minute I think before he brandished the only yellow card of the day, which was for a Grimsby player! Once again Billy Kee got no protection at all and there should have been one other definite yellow card for a totally 'Professional' Grimsby foul when one of our lads, McCarten I think, was bursting through the middle in the second half and was cynically brought down!

We missed the coolness and control of Captain Coneely today against a robust Grimsby outfit who were allowed to foul too frequently. We also struggled to maintain consistent periods of attack as our play broke down too frequently with the final pass too often going astray. Our defence played well apart form giving the Grimsby lad who scored too much space to step inside and shoot. I was behind the goal and I don't think that Chapman could be faulted as the shot was right in the bottom left corner! Chapman was under some pressure to perform today and I thought that he did well. He showed more confidence than earlier in the season in using his height to come out for crosses etc and also made a couple of excellent sharp saves.
Clarke was probably our best player today and he constantly caused problems for the Grimsby left side of defence. Had he tapped one in at the far post late in the game he would have been a clear MOM! Apart from the free kick goal that Shay so superbly scored, it was the next best chance that we had and was set up by Sean with a superb precise pass for 'The Don' to get into the box on the left and square a similarly super ball across the Grimsby goal four yards out from their goal line. Clarke was coming in at the far post for the tap in but checked his run, anticipating a touch from a Grimsby defender which didn't happen! The pass from Sean was inch perfect and carried the exact weight needed! His corners caused problems too.
Grimsby were a tough outfit to beat and having gone a goal behind I feel that a point retrieved was a point won, especially with our quietly influential Captain missing!
It keeps our unbeaten run going to 10 matches now and I hope that Coneely is fit to play on Tuesday against Cambridge in order to make it eleven unbeaten but this time with a WIN and THREE POINTS.
ON STANLEY ON
chevyfire likes this.

Last edited by choirboy; 25-03-2017 at 20:34.
choirboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 25-03-2017, 21:05   #47
Senior Member+

He won't make Tuesday mate - but confident he'll be back Saturday.
Twenty Eight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2017, 21:08   #48
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Didsbury View Post
I didn't think we were that great today. Did ok, but I never thought we were really in control. Thought we missed Captain Conneely.

Scores:
chappers -7.5 (may revise that after I see the goal on the highlights)
Harvey -7.5
Beckles -7.5
Hughsie - 7.5
The Don - 7
Noor- 7.5
Not a Midfielder Pearson - 4
Clark -8
Shay -8.5
Kee - 7
Shauny - 6.5

Ref - typically I differ from Cashy on this - 7.5

Coleman - 8
Crowd - 9
Woodwork - 9

The dream of the playoffs is dead. Shame, because a win today would have seen us closing in fast.
Only 2 of yer marks i can disagree with, Chapman to me should not have been beaten on the near post, and the officials, not just the ref,who gave Billy very little in relevant areas, also the liner on the cowshed, gave at least 3 obvious to us decisions the wrong way.
Old 25-03-2017, 21:10   #49
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twenty Eight View Post
He won't make Tuesday mate - but confident he'll be back Saturday.
That's a shame for Tuesday v Cambridge but it would be good to get his 'Effective Control' back for a difficult fixture away at Plymouth next Saturday.
Hope it goes well for Seamus this week.

ps. Any news on the state of the Grimsby player who tried to bend the gate in front of the Main Stand today?
pps It was just a good hard but fair tackle from Rodgers with definitely no malice intended.
Old 25-03-2017, 21:13   #50
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Only 2 of yer marks i can disagree with, Chapman to me should not have been beaten on the near post, and the officials, not just the ref,who gave Billy very little in relevant areas, also the liner on the cowshed, gave at least 3 obvious to us decisions the wrong way.
Cashy.
I fully agree with you about the Ref and Billy....
..... and I will possibly reconsider about Chapman and the goal when I see the video play backs.
Old 25-03-2017, 21:15   #51
I am Banned

Lord D the playoff dream is not dead yet, Exeter could only master a draw meaning we would still be 7 point off if we beat Cambridge
st06nc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2017, 21:34   #52
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Think its a pretty good summary from J.C. on fishy.
Old 25-03-2017, 21:37   #53
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
for what Kiwi?please enlighten us.
BBC site credits goal to Sean at top of page ,but report says Shay. Live score .com credits goal to Sean. I sense Somerset somehow involved.
Kiwi John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2017, 21:51   #54
God Member

On the whole I think a draw was probably a fair-ish result today - yes, their goal came from their only attempt on goal up to that point but we should've been 2 or 3 up before that.
Don't know what was going on but we just didn't click today, our play was so disjointed - maybe because of the reshuffle but imo Husin, who I believe did well at Morecambe, struggled today & personally I would've taken him off & put Rommy on, his experience would've done us the world of good.
In the end it was a well earned point, despite the usual inept display by the officials but that's unfortunately just part of the course in league 2
chevyfire and monkey hanger like this.
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2017, 00:04   #55
Senior Member+

Quote:
A few observations:
1. About 30 cars on the new car park. Is that good or bad?
2. Pukka Pies need to increase the size of their advertising hoarding. It's too small.
3. Earlier in the season Coley, when being interviewed after West Ham said of Payet's goal that's why he's worth £30m - as none of the Stanley players can do what he does when there's a free kick. What will Shay be worth on that basis?

Ps, anyone have a pie?
As I posted after my visit to the Kassam Stadium a Season or two ago, I am not exactly a devotee of Pukka Pies in whatever guise they present, in particular those of an oriental flavour, Chicken Balti I think they are called.
After relenting this afternoon and being persuaded to try one of their Meat and Potato presentations I can quite definitely report that my opinion of these parcels of culinary rubbish has not altered one little bit !.
The Potatoes were undercooked, the substandard meat was in the main little but scraps of gristle, and the pastry tough as old boots, in particular that making up the base of the pie which was totally inedible and found it's way into the nearest wastebin !.
Needless to say I will not be purchasing another Pukka Pie ever again.
I am not quite sure if you expected an in depth analysis Lord D, but being somewhat particular about what nutrients I ingest, and not being too pleased when I have to consign articles I have purchased to the depths of a waste-bin, I felt strangely moved to respond to your query !.

KTF.....as to the Match, I have nothing to add to what has already been reported, except that I thoroughly enjoyed the contest !
yonmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2017, 09:05   #56

Yonmon - That's awful news re the pies.
Do you think the Stanley catering staff haven't got used to cooking them yet?
Lord Didsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2017, 09:27   #57
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
If yeh cook a turd, its still a turd.
Old 26-03-2017, 09:36   #58
I am Banned

Quote:
Thought the pies were pre cooked and we heated them up?
st06nc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2017, 10:33   #59
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile on Spencer St View Post
Well done, Stanley.
P.S now I know where AccyMad works - the BBC website got the equaliser coming from McMarmite!
Ha, ha - if only I had such power in my job - wouldn't do it anyways, I'm happy for any of our players to score
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2017, 11:28   #60
Full Member+

I too would like to know how the Grimsby player is. I didn't see a foul but I did see both men after the ball, unfortunately they slipped and the Grimsby player slid further than Rogers, hitting the new gate with his face, how the bar on the gate missed his eye I don't know but thank goodness it did. From what I could see ( it was directly in front of me ) I would think stitches would have been needed, but I not a Dr either.
Greeny is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..