Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree60Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 26-03-2017, 12:10   #61

Re: The Official Great Grimsby Thread

What do you mean "only warm them up"? Only? Have you any idea the skill involved in keeping perishable pastry treats hot without em drying out?

My grandma had a baker's shop in Accrington for 30 years. Sweated blood keeping her pies perfect so the locals got maximum pleasure from them.

And now the locals, it appears, are belittling her life times work.

She'll be spinning in her grave.
cashman likes this.
Lord Didsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 26-03-2017, 12:21   #62
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Didsbury View Post
What do you mean "only warm them up"? Only? Have you any idea the skill involved in keeping perishable pastry treats hot without em drying out?

My grandma had a baker's shop in Accrington for 30 years. Sweated blood keeping her pies perfect so the locals got maximum pleasure from them.

And now the locals, it appears, are belittling her life times work.

She'll be spinning in her grave.
An aptitude with which few are blessed Lord D ?.... and with which many are not acquainted in these days of high-tech food preparation and presentation it would seem !.

I don't wish to labour the point but the ' floor' of yesterday's Pie was too solid to break and had to be disposed of En bloc !...so disappointing !.
yonmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2017, 12:21   #63
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Hey 30 years ago and before they were proper pies by 90% of bakers even Hollands were damn good uns back then, now few and far between imho
monkey hanger likes this.
Old 26-03-2017, 15:16   #64
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Hey 30 years ago and before they were proper pies by 90% of bakers even Hollands were damn good uns back then, now few and far between imho

So true Cashy....sad, but so true !.
Old 26-03-2017, 16:06   #65

Ouch.
Lord Didsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2017, 16:29   #66
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Didsbury View Post

Ouch.
From where I was stood it looked like it was his shoulder that hit the board, I know Grimsby manager is reporting us to the FA for using dangerous metal advertising boards
st06nc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2017, 16:57   #67
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Typical Whinging get then is Grimsbys Manager.
Old 26-03-2017, 20:18   #68
God Member

It definitely wasn't his shoulder that hit the railings, he hit the access gate head on & only missed the bolt fastening by a smidgen.
It looked a nasty injury, his head was spurting blood from the moment of impact but it wasn't anyone's fault, yes Harvey tackled him but they both slipped & Scott Vernon carried on sliding, presumably his body weight giving him the momentum.
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2017, 20:49   #69

[QUOTE=st06nc2;1190997]From where I was stood it looked like it was his shoulder that hit the board, I know Grimsby manager is reporting us to the FA for using dangerous metal advertising boards[/QUOTE

With hindsight, maybe we should have kept the concrete wall?? He hit the railing/ gate, not one of the hoardings/advertising boards, metal or otherwise.

Seriously, hope the guy is OK, certainly looked nasty from where we were sat.
KiTChener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2017, 21:12   #70
I am Banned

[QUOTE=KiTChener;1191007]
Quote:
Originally Posted by st06nc2 View Post
From where I was stood it looked like it was his shoulder that hit the board, I know Grimsby manager is reporting us to the FA for using dangerous metal advertising boards[/QUOTE

With hindsight, maybe we should have kept the concrete wall?? He hit the railing/ gate, not one of the hoardings/advertising boards, metal or otherwise.

Seriously, hope the guy is OK, certainly looked nasty from where we were sat.
Sure it was the Holland pie board he hit, probably abit bitter that they don't do fish pies
st06nc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2017, 21:52   #71

Poor guy looks like he's been to an audition for 'Pirates of the Caribbean'.
No one wants to see a player badly injured, even those from opposition.
It was an embarrassment to hear the chants coming from the Clayton End while the guy was being attended by medical staff, stretcher at the ready, along the lines of him being a soft fatherless son!
Any sensible person could see it was a potentially serious incident.
Hope the guy makes a full recovery.
KiTChener likes this.
Lord Stiffupperlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2017, 22:00   #72
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Stiffupperlip View Post
Poor guy looks like he's been to an audition for 'Pirates of the Caribbean'.
No one wants to see a player badly injured, even those from opposition.
It was an embarrassment to hear the chants coming from the Clayton End while the guy was being attended by medical staff, stretcher at the ready, along the lines of him being a soft fatherless son!
Any sensible person could see it was a potentially serious incident.
Hope the guy makes a full recovery.
As do we all I am sure !.
Old 27-03-2017, 08:03   #73
God Member

After relenting this afternoon and being persuaded to try one of their Meat and Potato presentations I can quite definitely report that my opinion of these parcels of culinary rubbish has not altered one little bit !.
The Potatoes were undercooked, the substandard meat was in the main little but scraps of gristle, and the pastry tough as old boots, in particular that making up the base of the pie which was totally inedible and found it's way into the nearest wastebin !.
Needless to say I will not be purchasing another Pukka Pie ever again.

things never change. pukka are to pies what primark are to high end fashion.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2017, 09:06   #74
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey hanger View Post
After relenting this afternoon and being persuaded to try one of their Meat and Potato presentations I can quite definitely report that my opinion of these parcels of culinary rubbish has not altered one little bit !.
The Potatoes were undercooked, the substandard meat was in the main little but scraps of gristle, and the pastry tough as old boots, in particular that making up the base of the pie which was totally inedible and found it's way into the nearest wastebin !.
Needless to say I will not be purchasing another Pukka Pie ever again.
things never change. pukka are to pies what primark are to high end fashion.

From my ancient and well-thumbed English Language teaching guide....

' PUKKA '....an Indian/ English adjective denoting something genuine, reliable and GOOD !..

Unfortunately not an adjective which one could apply with any certainty to that culinary nightmare of a Pie which I bought in all good faith on Saturday afternoon !

Alfred.E. says..."Getting old is when a narrow waist and a broad mind change places!"

KTF.
Old 27-03-2017, 09:26   #75
Senior Member+

I always thought that these pies were aptly named - but I just do not understand why it was necessary to add the extra k.

They are awful. No more pies for me at the Crown Ground.
yonmon and monkey hanger like this.
Revived Red is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..