Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree68Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2016, 00:26   #46

Re: The official Stevenage game thread.

1st half our midfield was non existent, browny come on an we started to play football and we battered them, a few lads got overawed with the occasion today and we stuttered against a team we would be any other day!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
db1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 08-05-2016, 07:50   #47
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by football19 View Post
Still got a good chance to right the wrongs but you can't underestimate the influence the pitch had.
When you see the ball bouncing everywhere Messi would have struggled.
It stopped us playing from the back,our widemen struggled to carry it,it wasn't pretty to watch.
Just started raining here,12 hours too late
typical Stanley luck. remember a few weeks ago at harlepools on a good grassy pitch we murdered them in the first half. we don,t look good on a hard bouncy pitch. the first half was a non existing 45 mins and it was only the introduction of scott brown that changed the face of the game. hope we can donate the crossbar to the trevon kettle retirement fund. thought before today this was our chance to go up as I don,t fancy us in the playoffs. on a positive side I hope most who played today will be with us next season as this still could be a very good side.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 09:12   #48
Full Member+

It was a disappointing performance in the first half but the second half made up for it , sadly it hadn't to be. Let us now concentrate on the play offs , stay behind the lads and keep cheering.
AccyMad and Outback Ozzy like this.
Greeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 09:19   #49
God Member

Gutted yesterday but today I feel positive I,he been watching football and Stanley for a long while and yesterday was just we did,it turn up but if anybody had said playoffs when we kicked of this season we would all have snapped their hands off, all to play for and hopefully 3 games to go, on another note does anybody know what the ground capacity actually is it,s supposed to be 5057 so why were we not nearer to that if it was a sellout.
stanley convert likes this.
andyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 09:50   #50
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by st06nc2 View Post
Lap of honour they don't deserve any honour after that performance
Ridiculous comment! After the season they've given us of course they deserved it - we're all absolutely gutted but how any fan can say that is beyond me - many of them were in tears as they came out for their lap of honour
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 09:51   #51
Senior Member+

In answer to your ground capacity question andyd, I suspect those that bought tickets or even season ticket holders, did not turn up on the day. I certainly knew of one ticket for sale (at face value) outside the ground prior to kick off. The other point is that the Home section was sold out, but only 171 (I think) Stevenage fans made the trip.

Piston broke owd geezer, Stanley supporter and shareholder, Retired and loving it
Addendum, the views I express on here are my own, if you don't like them: TOUGH!
Outback Ozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 09:58   #52

Surprisingly don't feel too down about yesterday.
There have been so many positives from the last 12 months - great football, increasing attendance, new ownership, plans for redevelopment, actual work taking place at the ground already making improvement.... The list goes on.

Can't wait for playoffs. Everyone knows what this team is capable of. It feels like we are in a much stronger position than the last time we got a chance at them.
Tom D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 10:08   #53

Luck had nothing to do with it! Stanley may have had a fine season, but this Saturday they deserved absolutely nothing! You cannot play a goalless draw with two shots on goal in a game you have to win. Bristol Rovers knew they had to win and finished 16 times on goal according to BBC.

It seems to me that the management does not realise that there is 3 points for a win in this League. Stanley were protecting a point that was of no value to them for far too long. Once Oxford had scored, the only way was forward. Because if Rovers didn't win Stanley would be up even if they lost by five. And how great a risk was that against a Stevenage side with no belief in their own game? Only after Rovers late goal was there any real urgency, and even those minutes were a gift because Rovers game was early.

I think Stanley would be up had Oxford and Rovers scored a couple early. Then Stanley would have realised sooner that they needed to score. And Stevenage were poor enough to succumb if there had been some urgency. But why Stanley would need their opponents to tell them that is beyond me.
jelly baby likes this.
Greger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 11:19   #54
Senior Member+

Is this a wind up ?,Stevenage were never going to roll over,they were unbeaten in 8 including draws with Bristol and Wimbledon.
They were excellent defensively,well organised and worked had.
People say we played better in the second half,but their centre back(who was very good) went off at half time.
Noticed Glenn Roeder in their ranks,maybe he's got them organised I don't know,but they contested every ball all game.
football19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 11:33   #55
God Member

If it's not a wind up F19 it's an insult to our lads who have worked so hard this season & at times have run through bricks walls to get a result!
Would have expected a few knee jerk reactions like this straight after the game & of course everyone's entitled to their opinion but to still be spouting it the day after when we've had a bit of time to get over the initial shock beggars belief
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 11:38   #56

Of course, Stevenage could defend, but they had absolutely no belief in their offensive game. Going forward a bit more could never have hurt Stanley, especially as an unlikely Stevenage goal did not matter.
If you are happy with the approach it is your prerogative.
But I stick with my opinion. A team as Cautious as Stanley cannot reserve more than nil.
Old 08-05-2016, 11:54   #57
Senior Member+

Hull City apart, the big occasion Home matches have a tendency to disappoint and it being Stevenage too. So I had no confidence of the automatics when Wycombe wasn't enough to secure them.

6th March 1962 - They turned off the gas but nothing could extinguish the flame!
Haggis316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 14:29   #58
God Member

We're all gutted but as fans we can't do anything about it.
So what a great piece on the Fishy site from Pierro.
That's the right attitude to take instead of being another all-knowing "Monday-morning quarter-back".
As for Wimbledon away, to paraphrase Alf Ramsay from 50 years ago, "We've beaten them once, so let's get out there and beat them again".
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 15:16   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greger View Post
Of course, Stevenage could defend, but they had absolutely no belief in their offensive game. Going forward a bit more could never have hurt Stanley, especially as an unlikely Stevenage goal did not matter.
If you are happy with the approach it is your prerogative.
But I stick with my opinion. A team as Cautious as Stanley cannot reserve more than nil.
Hit the woodwork three times...

First not scored at home all season...

Finished the game with 3 at the back...

You're being daft.
SamF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 16:41   #60

Sam F,
Glad you are happy with the performance.
I am certainly daft, because I do not understand why the activities in this match cannot be poor because they scored in other weeks. I thought it was the score on the day that mattered. I thought the thread was about this game. But of course I bow to your superior knowledge and intelligence.

I will continue to wear my Stanley shirt with pride among all the (English) supporters clad in Barcelona's and Real shirts. And I will hope against hope that I am wrong about the play-off prospects. But I will NEVER accept that this was a good performance. If that makes me daft, so be it.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..