Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree46Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 20-08-2019, 21:42   #16
God Member

Re: The Shrewsbury match thread.

Entertainment at the Wham tonight got to say though I thought Shrewsbury were the better side we went 2 up good but it cracked over some deficiencies, they made 3 substitutions that ultimately changed the outcome but I said to the lad next to me at 2-0 we needed to put our foot on the ball and slow the tempo, but we lost a bit of discipline and went for the jugular leaving gaps at the back who says the long ball doesn't work was very effective for them and they got the 2nd and 3rd goals well we need to learn and quickly we need home form and soon, thought also when Colby good game by the way went one on one with the keeper his legs had gone, personally would have brought Zanzala on then not wait until injury time.
andyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 20-08-2019, 21:44   #17

Posting in my immediate post match emotion to help me get over this! Worked hard to get in front and so pleased for Bishop and Charles to get their goals. Felt we started to play with a swagger and then demonstrated poor judgement and naive game management as we should have killed the game. Hughes, McConville and Conneelly with their experience should have been talking the rest through winding the game down.

Then all of a sudden, a nothing ball into our box, awful goalkeeping and they’re back in it. Bishop had a golden chance to settle it and that was the turning point, although good substitutions from their manager. Also thought keeper was at fault for their second as appeared to get beaten easily at his near post - he’s never convinced me and was surprised when he re-appeared in pre season as thought we’d have been able to recruit a better option.

Not been too impressed with Maguire to date, albeit its early days, although thought he did ok tonight apart from the goal - the standard of his defending wasn’t even Sunday League - he got everything about it wrong, goalkeeper in no mans land and easy goal.

Such a poor last 15 mins from us with 3 points in our grasp.

The night just about summed up when Clark announced as MotM - the beer must be stronger in the sponsors lounge!
monkey hanger likes this.

Last edited by Jeg Red; 20-08-2019 at 21:47.
Jeg Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2019, 22:11   #18

Just listened to Coley’s post match interview. Fairly balanced, showed his experience and agree with his comments warning against knee jerk reactions. Disappointed he didn’t refer to our poor management of the last 12 minutes and chose to refer to individual mistakes - if we don’t do 1 on 1 marking on their forwards for our corners for, who on earth let that happen with a minute to go in this game - why didn’t Maguire get someone else back, why didn’t the bench see it, why didn’t one of the more experienced players have a quick look and call it.

All that said, he has a job to motivate and lift the players after that, so has to be cautious what he says in public.
Jeg Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2019, 22:16   #19

Thought Finley was MOTM tonight. Great first half. But Clark was also ace.

Entertaining game, we passed and moved well.

They always looked fast and dangerous on the attack.
Lord Didsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2019, 22:21   #20
Full Member+

Finley MOM in my eyes as well, covered a lot of ground and had to put up with Conneely who was poor.
Great strike from Charles, made some good runs that no one picked out too.
Can’t agree with the praise of Clark, thought he was really poor. Would rely on a player like him to lift a team when playing poor, but he only plays well when the team plays well. That & his end product let him down massively.

Awful game management. That’s just basics that you are taught from a young age playing football. Maguire was awful even before their 3rd goal. Seemed out of position constantly. Hideous ball from McConville before their 3rd, why float a free kick to the edge of the 18 yard box.
No one on the subs bench filled me with confidence. Too many average players.
StanleyJosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2019, 23:00   #21

Quote=accybeme; 'Shrews look like a pillaged team this season. Stanley 2 Shrews 0'
Mmmmm??? Think you got that one the wrong way round my friend.
The Shrews came, they saw, they pillaged - Stanley!
By half time I thought this game has 0-0 all over it, so ineffective was our attack.
The Shrews upped their work rate at the start of the 2nd half & began to put Stanley under real pressure.
In fact, our penalty award in the 67th minute was somewhat against the run of play.
It instilled confidence in the team & when Charles hit an absolute screamer to make it 2-0, the Shrews looked truly pillaged.
5 minutes later Hughes contrived to gift the Shrews a lifeline & the tables began to turn.
When Sam Ricketts (football genius?) made 2 substitutions on 79 minutes, it changed the game.
Within 10 minutes, both Udoh & Okenabirhie had scored the goals to snatch victory from the jaws of defeat.
Naive defending cost us the game, although I think it's ludicrous to blame it all on Evtimov.
Hard work on the training ground is required to turn this present squad into a competent L1 side.
AccyMad and monkey hanger like this.
Lord Stiffupperlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2019, 06:59   #22
Senior Member+

You reap what you sow.
Massive gamble signing a squad on the basis of potential not on proven experience. The odd one yes - as many as we have no.
Serious childish mistakes being made.
Buckle in for a bumpy ride.
At least two of the relegation berths are filled thank the Lord.
Twenty Eight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2019, 07:19   #23
God Member

[QUOTE=Lord Stiffupperlip;
When Sam Ricketts (football genius?) made 2 substitutions on 79 minutes, it changed the game.
Within 10 minutes, both Udoh & Okenabirhie had scored the goals to snatch victory from the jaws of defeat.
Naive defending cost us the game, although I think it's ludicrous to blame it all on Evtimov.

obviously the two lads who came on where attack minded players but what did we do about it. again undone by lack of substitutions. if the lad had not got injured would we actually have made any until the 3rd.goal went in. the charles goal and build up to it deserved to win the game and shows it can be done. overall however i thought our passing and ball retention was poor especially the first half but then bad management with lack of substitutions were as much to blame as player errors.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2019, 07:28   #24
God Member

Like I said in my earlier thread Shrewsbury just looked better than us we were gifted a penalty and our confidence went up major thing in football but we don't look full of it from the kick off, this as got to change. Coley is on about bringing 1 more in before the window shuts stating a defender should be a good experienced midfielder with a footballers brain for me. Mom for me in the short time he was on was young Dion wasn't afraid to take a man on and showed the others how to finish hope he progresses to be a find.
Old 21-08-2019, 07:30   #25
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Can anyone explain whats good about putting on a striker just into injury time? a sub shoulda been on long before that point to me. By the way thought the ref made Kettle look good.
smudgie, pifco, accytom18 and 1 others like this.

Last edited by cashman; 21-08-2019 at 07:33.
cashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2019, 07:37   #26
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Can anyone explain whats good about putting on a striker just into injury time? a sub shoulda been on long before that point to me. By the way thought the ref made Kettle look good.
Totally agree with you Cashy as I posted earlier Colby looked blown out should have been then waste off time at 90+1 that's what you do when you're winning to run the clock down.
cashman likes this.
Old 21-08-2019, 08:26   #27
Senior Member+

thought we were 2nd best throughout, we rearly looked like scoring indeed most of our shots looked like back passes to their goalkeeper, I can only remember two shots that troubled their goalie one from Charles & one from McConville, I recall Valairian posting not got the best feeling about the season ahead, 3 games gone and I've not got the best of feelings, then their is plenty of games to pull this team together, fingers crossed
accybeme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2019, 09:08   #28
Senior Member+

I think the term is ' Reality Check '..

1. Shrewsbury always looked dangerous and their substitutions were better than ours !
, and they played exceptionally well on Saturday last if reports are to be believed. Not a team to be underestimated !.

2. Complacency ( which appeared to set in at 2-0 !) is always a dangerous attitude to adopt where Soccer is concerned.

3. It's early days yet, but one or two of our ' senior ' players looked a little past their ''sell -by ' date ( and I know a lot about that I can tell you ! ). Also the newcomers didn't appear to have adopted the ' Stanley ' spirit yet, which I feel helped the Shrews to take the upper hand in the dying minutes of the game !.

Compliments go to Buzzer for producing a superb playing surface for the ' pure ' football to be played upon... but it seemed to me that the ball still managed to spend an awful lot of time soaring in the Accrington clouds !.. .

Better days ahead though ?.. A few headaches for Messrs Coleman and Bell ?..

BUT... ON STANLEY !.. ON TO EVEN GREATER THINGS !.
AccyMad and choirboy like this.
yonmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2019, 09:21   #29
God Member

I'd agree with all that Alan, except perhaps the term 'soccer' - it's football
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2019, 09:24   #30
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

the headaches regarding substitutions should have been sussed out long ago given the time they have been in the job.
monkey hanger likes this.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..