Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree46Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21-08-2019, 18:35   #46
God Member

Re: The Shrewsbury match thread.

From the video “highlights” (sic), Stanley’s second goal was a gem. Four quick, one-touch passes out from defence, and boom!
But a couple of the Shrews goals appeared to confirm what was clear at Wimbledon - that, on the whole, Stanley’s players are not the strongest in L1.
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 21-08-2019, 21:02   #47
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Didsbury View Post
Gosh! I’m stunned by the generally negative tone on here and even criticism of Our maradona (ie, Sam Finley).
Plenty to admire yesterday, in my humble opinion, and cause for optimism... cum on Stanley!!!
Why be shocked Lord ?
Any side two up with 12 minutes to go should get over the line - simples.
I’ve seen better team set ups for how we conceded the winner by pub teams. We leave one on one on the half way line. Incredulous. Even more incredulous when it’s our worst performing player left with that responsibility.
Too many potential gambles as players rather than tried and tested.
You can’t learn as you go on at League One level.
As for your Finlay comment I admire you tongue in cheek comment.
It’s going to be a long old season.
choirboy likes this.
Twenty Eight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2019, 21:24   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Stiffupperlip View Post
Quote=accybeme; 'Shrews look like a pillaged team this season. Stanley 2 Shrews 0'
Mmmmm??? Think you got that one the wrong way round my friend.
The Shrews came, they saw, they pillaged - Stanley!
By half time I thought this game has 0-0 all over it, so ineffective was our attack.
The Shrews upped their work rate at the start of the 2nd half & began to put Stanley under real pressure.
In fact, our penalty award in the 67th minute was somewhat against the run of play.
It instilled confidence in the team & when Charles hit an absolute screamer to make it 2-0, the Shrews looked truly pillaged.
5 minutes later Hughes contrived to gift the Shrews a lifeline & the tables began to turn.
When Sam Ricketts (football genius?) made 2 substitutions on 79 minutes, it changed the game.
Within 10 minutes, both Udoh & Okenabirhie had scored the goals to snatch victory from the jaws of defeat.
Naive defending cost us the game, although I think it's ludicrous to blame it all on Evtimov.
Hard work on the training ground is required to turn this present squad into a competent L1 side.
One of the great things about football is that it’s a game of opinions and we all see things through slightly different lenses. I’ve watched the highlights of last nights game back 4 times and still feel poor goalkeeping cost us the first two goals. The first one in particular was elementary - awful technique and error, they get gifted a goal and it gives them a psychological lift for a real good go at us in the last 10 minutes, add in hungry and fresh substitutes, etc. We folded like a cheap suit, however the catalyst for it all in my view, was the poor goalkeeping that led to the first goal.
Jeg Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2019, 23:46   #49
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeg Red View Post
One of the great things about football is that it’s a game of opinions and we all see things through slightly different lenses. I’ve watched the highlights of last nights game back 4 times and still feel poor goalkeeping cost us the first two goals. The first one in particular was elementary - awful technique and error, they get gifted a goal and it gives them a psychological lift for a real good go at us in the last 10 minutes, add in hungry and fresh substitutes, etc. We folded like a cheap suit, however the catalyst for it all in my view, was the poor goalkeeping that led to the first goal.
Goal keeping not great for first goal but badly exposed by needlessly giving the ball away and getting caught out of position by the right back. Second goal is a bog standard clearance missed at the front post, and third, enough said. Keeper maybe could have done better but defenders worse and more culpable.

The catalyst was giving the ball away by getting caught in possession deep in your own half.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2019, 08:16   #50
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
From my point of view our keeper plays far too many short balls out, manys the time it does NOT look the best choice to me? i would be tempted to give the young england under 19 a start at Fleetwood.
unfortunetly if he does play at the weekend he,ll be doing the same. its the way the management want us to play and its not a new thing by any means. there are plenty of ways to play football on all occasions. with our system the pitch is too wide open giving the opposition too much space to exploit our creaking midfield. prefer our defence to get higher up the pitch much quicker but then i have no badges to support this view just my eyes that see a greater number of teams doing this.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2019, 08:19   #51
God Member

Nothing on the ‘all-new’ Fishy site but is there any news of Baker-Richardson’s injury?
Old 22-08-2019, 08:34   #52
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey hanger View Post
unfortunetly if he does play at the weekend he,ll be doing the same. its the way the management want us to play and its not a new thing by any means. there are plenty of ways to play football on all occasions. with our system the pitch is too wide open giving the opposition too much space to exploit our creaking midfield. prefer our defence to get higher up the pitch much quicker but then i have no badges to support this view just my eyes that see a greater number of teams doing this.
I may be totally wrong but, as a tactic that seems recently to have been adopted by more and more teams, I suspect ‘playing out from the back’ started with teams at the top of their ‘pyramids’, who had the players with skill and speed, not to mention the playing surfaces, to be successful at it.
One slip, misplaced pass, or poor control against physical and fast forwards and if can end in tears. Also, if the opposition know you will do this every time, they will harry the defenders before they get past their own penalty area. Pick and choose when to do it and the opposition won’t necessarily know whether to press or retreat at goal kicks.
Old 22-08-2019, 09:47   #53
God Member

its a tactic that will not change either no matter how much we moan, groan or shout about it. jimmy bell told someone who i sit near to about it last season.
Old 22-08-2019, 11:36   #54
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile on Spencer St View Post
Nothing on the ‘all-new’ Fishy site but is there any news of Baker-Richardson’s injury?
Coley says in an interview now on the all singing, all dancing fishy site that Baker-Richardson needs a scan but is a big doubt for Saturday
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2019, 12:26   #55
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccyMad View Post
Coley says in an interview now on the all singing, all dancing fishy site that Baker-Richardson needs a scan but is a big doubt for Saturday
thats not good to hear, hope the lads not too bad.
Old 23-08-2019, 07:23   #56
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
thats not good to hear, hope the lads not too bad.
was holding the front of his thigh when he came off. didn,t look really serious but muscle pulls and strains take weeks for him to be fully match fit. great pity as the lad was playing well at the time.
cashman likes this.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..