Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree30Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 24-02-2018, 20:56   #16
God Member

Re: The vs Cambridge match thread.

Basically, we were on top for first 5 - 10 minutes, Cambridge then got a foothold & were dangerous for rest of first half.
Second half, we were a different prospect - played our passing game & Kayden took his goal well to make it 1 nil as we deserved.
Referee - not biased either way, just a little inept - loved his whistle!
Not pretty, but a win's a win & given other results a damned important one - band in clubhouse were brilliant, book 'em now for last home game please
monkey hanger likes this.
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 24-02-2018, 20:56   #17
Full Member+

I have to agree Dunne was not his usual best, I thought Coneely should have been subbed in the second half as he was a little jaded due to his injury recovery. He did well. Billy was a little out of sorts so two substitutions would have made a big difference imo. The MOM for me was The Don or chappers. Hayden scored and ran himself ragged. Our passing was poor at times. It was an ugly win that in fairness we got away with. However we will take it.
Chrisr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2018, 20:59   #18
God Member

P.s. Wish we still had Bradley Halliday - best player for Cambridge by a country mile
Chrisr likes this.
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2018, 21:33   #19

The difference recently is our game management. When we are leading with 20 minutes to go we seem to be able keep are opponents at arms length. Things like playing balls into opposition corners. Alot of the games are tight like today (in fact I would say Cambridge would feel they had the better chances). In previous years we looked like conceding goals late on and did . There have been a lot of games like this this season where I feel it could have gone either way till we scored but we have managed the game well to get the win.
I agree with other web contributors, we played too many high balls today which didn't suit us playing against a physically bigger side. Our central midfield seems to lose out regularly but I accept the trade of for winning games!

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk
chevyfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2018, 21:58   #20
Senior Member+

[QUOTE=Lord Stiffupperlip;1209268]Bit unfair to criticise Dunne for poor distribution.
Agree that pass was a major blunder by him, but he wasn't the only one passing to our opponents.
Brown, Kee & Conneely were guilty on more than one occasion of badly misplaced passes.
Apart from that one mistake by Dunne, I thought he coped well with their enormous forwards, made numerous defensive headers & last ditch tackles to prevent goal attempts

It was a major blunder .... and had it not been for Chappie a game changer.
So to call him outstanding ....... not for me. They had one enormous forward and second half he moved over to Janoi ....... who coped just as well as Dunne.
Twenty Eight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2018, 22:01   #21

Had Billy managed to shake off the terrible lethargy he was suffering with his full week’s rest?

I notice we had the strongest ever Div 2 bench today as we extended our amazing run of form. No subs were needed. Maybe the team isn’t quite as “jaded” as we are told?
Lord Didsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2018, 08:03   #22
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Didsbury View Post
Had Billy managed to shake off the terrible lethargy he was suffering with his full week’s rest?

Maybe the team isn’t quite as “jaded” as we are told?
Told by whom??

I do not recall anyone saying that the team was jaded.
Revived Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2018, 16:00   #23
Senior Member+

Well my first game in a while yesterday, ive just about thawed out. £10 tickets are a nice way to tempt a few old faces back

Can't say it was the most exciting game ive ever seen, but it's the result that matters in the end. Thought Jackson was hugely impressive up front and caused them all sorts of issues, just a shame Kee wasn't on the same wavelength (looked unfit to me) . Why on earth he wasn't replaced is beyond me ........ No change there then for Coley and his lack of subs !

As others have said, Dunne looks impressive for such a young in-experienced lad, but his distribution needs work for sure.

All in all an enjoyable day out , looking forward to the Morecambe game
smudgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2018, 20:07   #24
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by smudgie View Post
just a shame Kee wasn't on the same wavelength (looked unfit to me) . Why on earth he wasn't replaced is beyond me
Warning, Smudgie! You will have Lord Didsbury muttering at you . if you dare to write such things.
Revived Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2018, 08:19   #25
God Member

[QUOTE=smudgie;1209310

Can't say it was the most exciting game ive ever seen, but it's the result that matters in the end.

better than the crewe game but at this stage of the season points are more valuable than memorable games. expect a few similar type of games before we get promoted in may.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2018, 14:52   #26
Full Member+

In our last two games we have had to face a BIG strong centre forward, why do we keep the brick wall B R E bench warming.
ferret man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2018, 16:10   #27
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferret man View Post
In our last two games we have had to face a BIG strong centre forward, why do we keep the brick wall B R E bench warming.
Don't know, Ferret, I've wondered myself.
Maybe it's down to Yosser's experience and organising ability and Mr.Dunne's strong performances.
But, whatever the reason, with a dozen cup finals coming up, I'm sure Big Ben will be ready and able to contribute when called on.
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2018, 17:54   #28
Senior Member+

I genuinely believe it’s Accis time, and can see why Dunne is playing.
He’s got good pace and gives Hughes good cover.
Key is clean sheets,especially when we’re not at our best.
We seem to have good cover in all positions,just hope Billy’s goals don’t dry up,need him to go on a run !!!
football19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2018, 18:37   #29
Senior Member+

At last! Aaron selected for EFL's team of the week, one of three League 2 players:
https://www.efl.com/news/2018/februa...k-matchday-34/
MikeA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2018, 19:55   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeA View Post
At last! Aaron selected for EFL's team of the week, one of three League 2 players:
https://www.efl.com/news/2018/februa...k-matchday-34/
What a vote of confidence in our gentle giant.
When you think back to the criticism Aaron got from some quarters last year.
He's played a massive part in our success this season & has saved our bacon on numerous occasions with some outstanding saves.
Without doubt the most improved player in the squad.
How much longer before his efforts justify a deserved 'mom' award.
Three cheers for Chappers!
choirboy and chevyfire like this.
Lord Stiffupperlip is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..