Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2006, 13:45   #121
Senior Member+

Re: Today's matches

denying a clear goalscoring opportunity...
otherwise you would have everyone handballing it!

"the rulemakers are there to keep the players safe and to keep the game fair"
by denying a clear goalscoring opportunity thats fair???
Old 12-03-2006, 13:46   #122
Junior Member+

[quote=
There are a couple of quite good photos on a Hereford forum thread of the handball incident. Looks like the ref didn't have much choice, worth a look.
[/quote]

Intesting pics but dont really show the true picture. I saw the incident again on sky sports nes the ball was thumped at Ventre and you could tell if it struck him on the chest or bicep. I think 2,000 folk behind the goal made the refs decision for him watchin it in real time on tv i just couldn't see how he could be sure. I'd be pretty p'd off if we weren't 16 points clear!!
Old 12-03-2006, 13:50   #123
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by baldy
denying a clear goalscoring opportunity...
otherwise you would have everyone handballing it!

"the rulemakers are there to keep the players safe and to keep the game fair"
by denying a clear goalscoring opportunity thats fair???
I'm not saying it shouldn't go unpunished; the penalty was enough - there was no reason whatsoever to send Ventre off.
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 13:59   #124
Senior Member+

Rules are rules!!

would you really be saying that if a hereford player did the same on hes
goalline???

anyway should have won but a draw will do
Old 12-03-2006, 14:02   #125
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by baldy
would you really be saying that if a hereford player did the same on hes
goalline???
of course not
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 16:23   #126
Junior Member+

As a Hereford fan, this thread makes a fascinating read! Some facts for some of you who weren't at the game:-

1. You are 16 points clear of your nearest rivals. Our Manager conceded that if we didn't beat you yesterday that the title was all but won. Yes it is a nerve wracking run in but the way that some of you are 'talking' you would think that you are facing relegation not promotion. The championship is yours for the taking - for goodness sake enjoy your best season in years!!

2. There are often two sides to any controversial decision - that's often what makes football such a talking point. The sending off of Ventri (I hope I have spelt this correctly) was certainly pivotal in the game. CHck out the photon on our fans forum and judge for yourself.

3. The six minutes added on were for injuries to your players and some of the actions of your bench who twice held up play by calling for a substitution and not making it.

4. Your keeper was outstanding - one penalty save and two one handed saves, one when he was diving the wrong way immediately spring to mind. And this was despite him taking a knock earlier in the game.

5. You looked very lively up front - some very neat interplay. It makes a change for us Hereford fans to see Brown stay on his feet when a ball came his way rather than going to going to ground almost every time which he did when he was with us.

6. We could and should have won this game although having gone two nil down we looked dead and buried. Some match facts for you from the Non-League paper:-
Shots on target - Hereford 11 Accy 2
Shots off target - Hereford 4 Accy 4
Corners - Hereford 11 Accy 7
Fouls conceded - Hereford 11 Accy 20

We had a goal disallowed, at least one cleared off the line, two great saves by your keeper and a second penalty appeal turned down.
Need I say more!

7. All credit to your fans who made the long trip and got behind your team. I suspect that there may be a shortage of loo rolls in your area over the next few days, though.

8. Coleman upset a lot of people with his antics such as time wasting during the game and taunting the Hereford fans at the end of the game. It is a shame that someone who has achieved so much this season should resort to this.

Finally, it will be great to see such a 'famous old name' as 5 Live put it go back into the football league. I just hope that you have a better pre-season next season than you did this one!
accy visitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 18:44   #127
Dan
Senior Member+

Now anyone who knows me will understand that this is somewhat out of character (posting on here in order to get involved in an argument - my name isn't Cottier!!!!) but I am taking exception to 1 of the points made above. Just 1 mind you.

About Coley's conduct. We all know what he's like!!! He's passionate and involved in the game 110%. Sometimes he will admit he goes too far. But I would like to draw people's attention to what happened at the full time whistle.

Firstly, the stadium announcer saying "enjoy your trip back to Merseyside" and having a good laugh. Not what anyone who's travelled from ACCY needs to hear. Then, during the post-match press conference, Coley was being heckled and frankly abused by a small group of Hereford fans. He handled it fairly graciously, but then had to listen to a member of the Hereford press accuse Stanley's players of trying to start fights with Hereford supporters! When they were warming down. On the pitch!!!!!!!!!!

Until the 80th minute or so I was pleased to be at Edgar St. But for the remaining 10 and post-match period I actually felt physically threatened both whilst commentating out the match and waiting for interviews. And it isn't like I'm an elderly, easily-frightened sort of fellow...

By no means am I casting any aspersions on Hereford supporters in general. I simply wish to make the point that this "taunting" issue is a two way street, and that a small minority of Bulls fans were as guilty as any of those who had travelled from Accrington, player, staff or supporter.

Perhaps the magnitude of the occasion and disappointment at dropping points affected my reaction, but I am certain that no away manager would tolerate the abuse that Coley and his players got if they received it at the Interlink.

Sorry to ramble, I will now shut up...
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 19:15   #128
God Member

always nice to know that there are two sides to every story. Arrogant ignorant obnoxious Welshmen casting aspersions on our integrity. Many decent fans down there, but sadly too many idiots.
Old 12-03-2006, 19:20   #129
Junior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccawozzagod
always nice to know that there are two sides to every story. Arrogant ignorant obnoxious Welshmen casting aspersions on our integrity. Many decent fans down there, but sadly too many idiots.
I think you should consult an atlas before suggesting that we are Welsh - perhaps the same should go for our stadium announcer for having suggested you come from Merseyside.

Being from Rugby, I'm now off to worry some sheep - satisfied??!!
accy visitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 19:26   #130
God Member

So all the moaning on both hereford boards and confguide and anywhere else you can find an audience .. all that moaning about accy manager and officials and it turns out it was your officials and your fans starting all the trouble..

Well who'd a thunk it eh...
Old 12-03-2006, 19:30   #131
Senior Member+

To be fair, most of the moaning is from one particular manic depressive character.
Old 12-03-2006, 19:31   #132
Member.

I’m glad someone spoke up to put matters in order here; nobody was challenging the aspersions cast against Coley and as someone who was not there to see it I was getting a little pee off with it. Thanks Dan for putting over view point from our own side, especially one that can be respected and considered even handed.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 19:46   #133

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan
Now anyone who knows me will understand that this is somewhat out of character (posting on here in order to get involved in an argument - my name isn't Cottier!!!!) but I am taking exception to 1 of the points made above. Just 1 mind you.

About Coley's conduct. We all know what he's like!!! He's passionate and involved in the game 110%. Sometimes he will admit he goes too far. But I would like to draw people's attention to what happened at the full time whistle.

Firstly, the stadium announcer saying "enjoy your trip back to Merseyside" and having a good laugh. Not what anyone who's travelled from ACCY needs to hear. Then, during the post-match press conference, Coley was being heckled and frankly abused by a small group of Hereford fans. He handled it fairly graciously, but then had to listen to a member of the Hereford press accuse Stanley's players of trying to start fights with Hereford supporters! When they were warming down. On the pitch!!!!!!!!!!

Until the 80th minute or so I was pleased to be at Edgar St. But for the remaining 10 and post-match period I actually felt physically threatened both whilst commentating out the match and waiting for interviews. And it isn't like I'm an elderly, easily-frightened sort of fellow...

By no means am I casting any aspersions on Hereford supporters in general. I simply wish to make the point that this "taunting" issue is a two way street, and that a small minority of Bulls fans were as guilty as any of those who had travelled from Accrington, player, staff or supporter.

Perhaps the magnitude of the occasion and disappointment at dropping points affected my reaction, but I am certain that no away manager would tolerate the abuse that Coley and his players got if they received it at the Interlink.

Sorry to ramble, I will now shut up...
If you think we're bad , wait till next season when your in the league!!!!
You are gonna have a big shock.
And sounds like your not ready for the league.
F.O.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 19:55   #134
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by F.O.D.
If you think we're bad , wait till next season when your in the league!!!!
You are gonna have a big shock.
And sounds like your not ready for the league.
Your not bad your just stuck in a time warp, you were in the League, your not now, so all this bitter and twisted ramblings will have to be used on Morecambe next year. Your cup final was a draw against us.

Bazf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 20:03   #135

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazf
Your not bad your just stuck in a time warp, you were in the League, your not now, so all this bitter and twisted ramblings will have to be used on Morecambe next year. Your cup final was a draw against us.
LOL
Yeh you'll see, when you have more away fans at your place than home fans.
F.O.D. is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..