Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 17-05-2007, 18:58   #61

Re: Todd gone to Rotherham

Oh well, i am disappointed but I couldnt travel 2 hours in the morning and 2 hours at night every day! Good luck toddy
The Green Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 17-05-2007, 19:02   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Green Lantern View Post
Oh well, i am disappointed but I couldnt travel 2 hours in the morning and 2 hours at night every day! Good luck toddy
You could if your working day was only 4 hours running about a bit!
philip@pcarter3.oran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2007, 19:03   #63
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
Think I'd prefer to stick with Eric and Coley and their "clangers"!
Just look at teams like Bradford. Threw everything at the Premier League and just a few years later are in the same league as us.

I've been criticised plenty of times for having a go at the club, but this time they've got it spot on. It's ok saying we have no ambition and that we'll never build a successful team at this level, but maybe we just aren't in a position to do so with the levels of income the club has at the moment.

There are enormous levels of over-reation on this thread. Toddy was great while he was with us, but he wasn't a Gary Roberts was he? We will replace him and with someone better than Doherty, who some crazy people were calling to be returned.

As I said earlier, the club must stick to a budget and remain healthy. If that means players move on, then so be it. They can and will be replaced!
Old 17-05-2007, 19:28   #64
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Monkey View Post
It's ok saying we have no ambition and that we'll never build a successful team at this level
Who said we would never build a successful team at this level? I only said we would never build a SETTLED team mid/long term. Of course we can be successful with Coley's continuing Midas touch.
Redraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2007, 19:30   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
You could if your working day was only 4 hours running about a bit!
I couldnt!!!! Did the greggs 5 mile run on sunday at Heaton park for childrens cancer charity. Ran for the first 50 yards and walked the rest!! Took me 1hr 20 minutes
The Green Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2007, 19:38   #66
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Monkey View Post
Just look at teams like Bradford. Threw everything at the Premier League and just a few years later are in the same league as us.

I've been criticised plenty of times for having a go at the club, but this time they've got it spot on. It's ok saying we have no ambition and that we'll never build a successful team at this level, but maybe we just aren't in a position to do so with the levels of income the club has at the moment.

There are enormous levels of over-reation on this thread. Toddy was great while he was with us, but he wasn't a Gary Roberts was he? We will replace him and with someone better than Doherty, who some crazy people were calling to be returned.

As I said earlier, the club must stick to a budget and remain healthy. If that means players move on, then so be it. They can and will be replaced!

yes but the point is we HAVENT replaced players of equal quality in the past so what makes you think we are gonna get sum1 better than Todd??
smudgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2007, 19:42   #67
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by baldy View Post

And how can people say its all about money??
Rotherham...bigger club...better facilites...bigger fan base to attract players, closer to toddys home...
Not what I hear most nights on Radio Sheffield's Football Heaven. Not listening for the depressed.

They seem to have been going from one crisis to another over the last 2 years.

They are currently in a dispute with CF Booth over rent arrears on their ground of which the main stand has only been partly rebuilt and the fans have been dwindling.

6th March 1962 - They turned off the gas but nothing could extinguish the flame!
Haggis316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2007, 19:43   #68
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smudgie View Post
yes but the point is we HAVENT replaced players of equal quality in the past so what makes you think we are gonna get sum1 better than Todd??
To be fair, we've replaced a lot of our departing players with better players.
For example Russ Payne -> Rory Prendergast -> Gary Roberts.

But it goes without saying that it is getting more and more difficult to attract players as we succeed.
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2007, 20:17   #69
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by smudgie View Post
Of course we have. Shaker points out just one example from one position. You are living in dreamland if you think we can keep signing players of better quality without increasing the club's income.
Old 17-05-2007, 20:20   #70

Money, pitch, promotion, and close proximity to his house? Bollocks!!! We all know the real reason Toddy joined Rotherham is because he is a huge fan of the Chuckle Brothers

For those who dont know, they are life presidents at Rotherham.
Old 17-05-2007, 20:23   #71
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvin the chipmunk View Post
Money, pitch, promotion, and close proximity to his house? Bollocks!!! We all know the real reason Toddy joined Rotherham is because he is a huge fan of the Chuckle Brothers

For those who dont know, they are life presidents at Rotherham.
it made me chuckle anyway
Old 17-05-2007, 20:24   #72
Senior Member+

I wasn't that impressed with what I saw of Andy in the Conference and I did not think he would be particularly successful in the transition to the league so I was a bit surprised when he got a 1 year contract. How wrong I was!

I thought he looked a bit tired in the last 2 games of the season but I suppose he was entitled to after what he'd contributed not to mention the commuting.

Hucknall is north Nottingham and just down the M1 and an average first team player would command about £55k per annum at Rotherham I should imagine.

6th March 1962 - They turned off the gas but nothing could extinguish the flame!
Haggis316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2007, 21:07   #73

Fair play to Todd he stuck around till the end of the season before moving unlike 2 players that I can think of. He's been a big player for us and you can't blame for moving to a club thats nearer to home. I don't think it was about the money if you look at Rotherham's financial situation. The club should have more of an effort sooner to keep him. Plenty more signings to be made though.
BTLawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2007, 21:22   #74
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

think those who are knocking should remember Stanley went BANKRUPT in 1962 through spending money they didnt have, i remember NO TEAM in accy for 6 years after that. ya gotta face reality thats the way of it.
Old 17-05-2007, 21:30   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
think those who are knocking should remember Stanley went BANKRUPT in 1962 through spending money they didnt have, i remember NO TEAM in accy for 6 years after that. ya gotta face reality thats the way of it.
Fair point BUT if we continue to lose key players, relegation looms. Should this happen, attendances will drop and the club will eventually go bankrupt again.
BTLawson is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..