Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18-05-2007, 08:39   #91
Resting In Peace

Re: Todd gone to Rotherham

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTLawson View Post
What I can't understand was why a fringe player such as Tony Grant got a longer contract when a key player such as Todd wasn't offered a longer deal.
How do you know that he wasn't offered a longer deal? How does anybody know that he is being paid more money at Rotherham. How does anybody know what money Stanley offered him. Toddy left to work nearer his home. Stanley didn't let him go HE WENT OF HIS OWN ACCORD. It has been stated by plenty on here that he went for more money, please will one of you tell me how much he was on at Stanley and how much he is on at Rotherham as you all seem to know. HE WAS OUT OF CONTRACT AND HE WENT FOR ANOTHER JOB, it's not Stanley's doing so stop slagging off Stanley for letting him go and maybe start slagging off Toddy for going. HE LEFT, STANLEY DIDN'T LET HIM GO.
JEFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 18-05-2007, 09:10   #92
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonhill View Post
Well, I am a Rotherham fan and have to say that the stinger of league football is the money. We lost our 2 best players mid way through this season to Watford who paid them 8 times the salary we could afford. It is that loss that saw our slide back into relegation and subsequent drop. Our wages will probably be the highest in league 2 next season with some players being on £1500 - £2000 per week, but if we aren't in the top 3 from the off, I reckon we might be in trouble. We need at least 4000 through the turnstyles every week to sustain it. Anyway, Andy Todd sounds like a decent player, just what we need (a hard working midfielder). Do you think he is capable of playing at a higher level??
Toddy will work his socks off - no doubt about it, you're lucky to have got him. But what's this about playing at a higher level? - We'll be in the same league next season you know
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2007, 09:16   #93

I have never claimed to be "the voice of sanity" just expressed views that, understandably, some people disagree with strongly. However, I stick by what I stated and pose the question....How do the club, given however much time, build a new and bigger fan base when potential fans read/hear that Stanley are letting their best players leave? After the departures of Gary and Ian a lot of fans would have said Andy Todd was, perhaps, the best player on the club's books. A deal to tie him to the club - good management with foresight - could and should have been instituted then. The `services` of several under-performing players could have been dispensed with to fund such an approach.
qualtrough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2007, 10:10   #94
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by qualtrough View Post
I have never claimed to be "the voice of sanity" just expressed views that, understandably, some people disagree with strongly. However, I stick by what I stated and pose the question....How do the club, given however much time, build a new and bigger fan base when potential fans read/hear that Stanley are letting their best players leave? After the departures of Gary and Ian a lot of fans would have said Andy Todd was, perhaps, the best player on the club's books. A deal to tie him to the club - good management with foresight - could and should have been instituted then. The `services` of several under-performing players could have been dispensed with to fund such an approach.

well put, at last sum1 that talks some sense
smudgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2007, 10:24   #95

Just read the fishy site

Andy was offered an extension to his contract at the Fraser Eagle Stadium, but has chosen to go to Millmoor on a two year deal.

I`m as broken hearted as anyone but if they`re gonna go they`re gonna go.

Good luck Toddy and thanks for everything.
Just have 2 serious off days when you play against us.

No-One is completely useless........
They can always serve as a bad example.
www.panjenix.co.uk
Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2007, 10:39   #96
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by qualtrough View Post
A deal to tie him to the club - good management with foresight - could and should have been instituted then. The `services` of several under-performing players could have been dispensed with to fund such an approach.
If I remember Coley had been chasing Toddy for a couple of seasons but he would not come because of the travelling involved, he came on loan from Burton because he wasn't getting a game and agreed to sign for one season to see if it was suitable for him with all the travelling involved. If he didn't want to be tied to the club with a longer deal there is nothing Stanley could have done about it. Why don't you just realise TODDY HAS REFUSED TO SIGN FOR STANLEY BECAUSE HE LIVES TOO FAR AWAY. Rotherham is more convenient for him, it is about 115 miles from where he lives to Accrington and only 36 miles from where he lives to Rotherham, that works out at about 800 miles a week less travelling which is approx £100 saving in petrol alone. Stanley offered him a deal and Rotherham offered him a deal - he chose Rotherham, it is Toddy's decision not Stanley's. You mention 'A deal to tie him to the Club- good management with foresight' Toddy was offered a deal and he chose to accept another one - don't blame Coley, Eric, or Stanley.
Old 18-05-2007, 10:52   #97
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFF View Post
Rotherham is more convenient for him, it is about 115 miles from where he lives to Accrington and only 36 miles from where he lives to Rotherham, that works out at about 800 miles a week less travelling which is approx £100 saving in petrol alone.
I dont think its nothing to do with saving £100 pound on petrol i even think eric would pay that for toddy! Yes rotherham is convenient but thats not a excuse to go! He could of rented a house in lancashire, Or maybe moved but he went to rotherham and the only reason people think is because of the money!

fc:stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2007, 11:05   #98

If he did....And? Picture the scene. You're working at ASDA. Suddenly Tesco arrive and say they'll double your wages AND let you work in role more convinient to you. You'd turn it down over "loyalty"?

Get real. Football is not the gentlemanly game it once once, where a footballer lived in every street, and had a fag and pint with the fans.

It is A BUSINESS. Toddy was 27, leaving him with say, 5 years of his best football left. It's a short career, he's got a family to cater for. Who could blame him if he left for money? Toody gave everything at Accy and deserves better then to be painted out as a money grabbing fiend which fc:stanley suggests.

I fully endorse Erics decision not to break the wage structure for Toddy. Id rather watch Stanley get relegated into the Coinference, then spend money we dont have and not have a club at all.

Coley WILL replace him, just as he replaced Gary with Shaun.

ON STANLEY ON and Keep The Faith!!!!
Old 18-05-2007, 11:08   #99
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by fc:stanley View Post
I dont think its nothing to do with saving £100 pound on petrol i even think eric would pay that for toddy! Yes rotherham is convenient but thats not a excuse to go! He could of rented a house in lancashire, Or maybe moved but he went to rotherham and the only reason people think is because of the money!
I am sure that a 99% of people would accept a job 36 miles from home rather than accept a job 115 miles away from home, it's not just the petrol money it's the travelling time, getting stuck on the M62 on your way to work or on your way home, and as for renting a houe in Lancashire or moving - would you uproot your family for a year or two or accept a job where you did not have to.
Quote:
the only reason people think is because of the money
Exactly, people THINK it's because of the money, why don't you believe Toddy when he says he wants to work nearer home. Nobody knows what Stanley offered him and nobody knows what Rotherham are paying him. Rotheham have no money, they went into administration last year, that's why they started the season on -10 points.
Old 18-05-2007, 11:12   #100
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvin the chipmunk View Post
Toody gave everything at Accy and deserves better then to be painted out as a money grabbing fiend which fc:stanley suggests
1. i didnt even say toddy was a money grabbing fiend! If u even read my post! I sed most people think its because of the money!

fc:stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2007, 11:17   #101

Exactly, I said you were PAINTING him as having gone for the money, the tone of your post clearly indicates this is your opinion. Do read your own posts deary.
Old 18-05-2007, 11:31   #102
God Member

moving on then ........
is Shaun Whalley naturally right footed? he always seems to cut in on his right foot ...... Bobby Grant, is he left footed? there we go problem solved until injury or suspension kicks in. Two young lads in the mould that Coley looks for, young and hungry with a desire to move onwards and upwards if performances earn that move.

Both are green around the gills and have lots to learn about the game as a whole, but they will learn at Stanley and then get transferred for money. Lots of it.

I'll see you all in a years time when we have this discussion again when the next one goes, then again the year after, and another year. All clubs apart from at the very highest level sell their best players to balance the books, its time to start moaning when you support a team that has 40 000 coming through the turnstiles every week and you are selling to balance the weeks. Get real people, players move on and ALWAYS will do, not just here but everywhere. There will always be a club that offer to double your wages, there will always be a club with better facilities, or closer to home, or more ability to challenge for the honours that a player looks back on in his twilight years.

At this level players earn little more than the average Joe but the career is very short - they must make what they can as quick as they can or risk being a washed out mid thirties has been with no career and no prospects.

Toddy gave his all for the club every damn week, nobody can deny that and that is what won him Player of the Year. The guy can look back on that with considerable pride when he becomes a grumpy old octogenarian. Determination and endeavour won our hearts - not skill and ability. Toddy was not the greatest player ever to wear the red and white, he tires towards the end of a game, but work rate and balls enabled him to ride tackles. Toddy in full flow is a sight to behold but he can and will be replaced.

As far as how can the club extend the fan base whilst selling or giving away players is concerned .... that comes with still having a team in the Football League for years to come, or even just having a club. Eric Whalley runs the club the only way it can run without a huge influx of cash. When we can spare the money to increase Corporate Hospitality, we will. When we have the money to build extra Covers and extra seat, we will all these will give us the tools to attract and keep the new fan. The Community Liaison Officer will also help to bring in tomorrows fan. Keeping players who we cannot afford to keep will not.

But its irrelevant as he went for convenience rather than money. Fact.
Old 18-05-2007, 13:42   #103
Accy Red

Cricket Challenge Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccawozzagod View Post
The Community Liaison Officer will also help to bring in tomorrows fan. Fact.
Have you applied or would working for Eric be too stressful?

"At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They're only there to sign cheques." - Bill Shankly
Bagpuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2007, 16:08   #104
Full Member+

Well said Macca. There's an awful lot of sense in that last post.
Oldgobbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2007, 17:55   #105
Senior Member+

There are several issues here. First, though, I want to join everyone else in wishing Andy Todd well at his new club. He can certainly look back with pride on his achievements with us. We shall never REALLY know why he has left. This thread contains much speculation. The fact is, he has left.

If we are to consolidate our position in League 2, and improve it, we must bring in players who are at least as good as Andy Todd. Let's hope that Coley can do that. I'm afraid I cannot agree with the idea of him having the Midas touch. If we are honest, there have been some iffy signings.

I agree partially with what has been said about living within our means and balancing the budget. But there comes a time in the life of any business when it must invest to progress. We all know now, if we didn't before, that League 2 is a very different matter from the Conference. The differences can be seen in player skills, fitness and physique; in grounds; and in commercial expertise. And that's only for starters.

This is a thread about players. We cannot afford, in any sense of the word, players who drift and out of the game. Without naming names, we know there have been some recently at the FES. If we are to obtain players who are as good as Andy Todd, we may have to risk extra investment to attract and keep them. Of course, we could gamble on unproven youngsters in the hope that they come good (and then move on!), but that is a high-risk gamble. To my mind, it's a higher risk than investing in established players who could help to consolidate and improve our position.

So, that's my two pennorth! Now shoot me down.
Revived Red is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..