Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-09-2005, 12:06   #16
Senior Member+

Re: Tonight at Morecambe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Miller

With the start we have made & the players we have, I would be very disappointed to make the play offs this season.
Jase

I would love it mate
simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 28-09-2005, 12:14   #17
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon
Jase

I would love it mate
I'm still tired......... you know what I meant!

The Voice of the Terrace

www.stanleyultras.co.uk

Willie Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2005, 12:21   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon
Jase

I would love it mate
Id be disappointed cos we're havin automatic, I say going straight up ashley lad.

These cats are too cool to be gettin involved in a lottery,I reckon this year is THE year, were gonna get it all boxed off with weeks, maybe even months, to spare.

Accy Stan are the new black. They are gonna be more popular this season than Vivien Westwoods autumn and winter collection and let me tell you, thats one popular collection.

New ultras flag required:- ASFC The Religion.

Im feelin the Vibe, are you feelin it to??
Staveros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2005, 12:44   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staveros
Bit of scran and a brew soon picks you up, im back and raring to go.

Right....where do we start.

Whilst admittedly the away end wasn't the best vantage point from which to judge Butlers challenge it looked extremely 'rash' and unnescassary to me. I'd be interested to hear others views on that one. After that it was obviously going to be a struggle.

I think John Coleman deserves a HUGE amount of credit for the way he set the team up following the dismissal. I suspect most managers would have gone 4-4-1, dropping Jaggers to full back and putting Brown wide right and hoped to hold on. Not Coley though. The 3-4-2 he went with was extremely bold and adventurous and it ensured not only that Stanley still had a realistic chance of WINNING the game but that the match wasn't ruined as a spectacle for the punters. WELL DONE COLEY, superb to see such a positive mentality!!

The first half was absolutely fantastic, utterly superb, I cant praise the lads enough. A beautifully controlled performance with great movement and guile oozing throughout the side. Mully played a blinder, Brown was awesome, Craney, Jags, Cav, they were ALL brilliant. To go behind was an absolute travesty but I think sometimes you have to hold your hands up and say 'fair play'. That was a hell of a strike by the lad.

After the goal normal service resumed with our boys well in control and the equaliser was the least we desereved. The deflection that took it by the keeper, I was hoping, would signal lady luck being with the blues. Wasn't to be unfortunately!!

The turning point of the game was clearly Morecambe's second goal shortly after half time. I think it was a classic case of the concentration having been left in the dressing room with the half time cups of tea. It would be unfair to pinpoint anyone in particular as being at fault because we had numerous chances to clear our lines before the goal. Again you must admit though, after shrugging off Barry's somewhat 'powderpuff' challenge, Twiss unleashed one hell of a strike.

That goal clearly took the stuffing out of the lads after they had worked so hard to get the equaliser. To their credit though they stuck to the task. The effort throughout was unqestionable even if the second half performance did lack some of the 'craft' of that of the first. In fairness though, once they had the comfort of a lead AND the extra man, Morecambe did shift the ball around much better.

The third goal had an element of luck with the ball breaking to their player after several ricochets and was also aided by Stanley having pushed up a little too far in search of the second equaliser. Nobodys fault, just one of those things.

Again though, the boys plugged away without ever really looking likely to breakthrough again. But then, out of the blue, a penalty. Looked a good decision by the ref to me as Mully was again being climbed all over for something like the 7000th time in the game. Very brave call as well, well done ref!! Cav notched with minimum of fuss, game on!!!

Then comes my only gripe.

10 ish minutes or so left and I was expecting the alamo, all guns blazing. Never really happened though.

Odd criticism to make maybe but I think Stanley are too used to playing 'nice' football. That last 10 minutes called for some ugly, high pressure, long ball, 'in your face' football. They attempted it( I think!?) but it really was a dismal excuse of an attempt.

Quick free kicks and throws were taken when we should have flooded the box and wound up a 'big one'. Total waste of possesion and a release of pressure for them. Also, when we had Boco and Mangan playing as what I would call 'wing forwards' they were not getting anywhere near close enough to Mully when the ball was in flight. Mully is Mully. He wins some, he loses some. He's always a nuisance though. When you hit it long, you dont NEED to win it. Its all about the second ball. We didn't get close enough to him and we didn't win enough second ball. The midfield were just as guilty. When the ball was in flight they should have been on their bike and making a 'gamble' run, I didn't see enough of it though. Might as well get beat 4-2 as 3-2 in my book!!!

Anyway, enough with the gripe, maybe a couple of set training sessions and a few Wimbledon and Bolton Wanderers vids would help for the future on that one!! Im always available!!

All in all a great display in tough circumstances. I saw enough craft and guile tonight coupled with a wonderful attitude and team spirit to suggest that, as long as we can keep everyone fit, this is a team that is going places.

Well done Coley and the lads, you've got the Staveros back on board in a big way!!
Refreshingly fair assessment - the only points I'd really take issue with are re the penalty - it was right in front of us and your 'climbing all over him' looked more like 'Mullin doing what he'd got away with all night and backing into our defender' - our lads had to put a hand on him to avoid falling over - his was the first foul but the ref only rarely pulled him up for it. Don't blame Mullin, if you can get away with it, fair enough you keep doing it.
Also the criticism of your last ten minutes - I just thought by that stage your lads were knackered and no wonder.

Last edited by shrimper; 28-09-2005 at 12:48.
shrimper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2005, 13:10   #20

Nice one shrimper **doffs cap**
Old 28-09-2005, 13:33   #21

Re three from Morecambe: I agree, if you mean Bentley!
qualtrough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2005, 13:54   #22
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by qualtrough
Re three from Morecambe: I agree, if you mean Bentley!
Thats the bloke.... although after last night maybe I would swop the Blonde dwarf for Physcho as the blonde dwarf played for 87 more minutes

"You look like a god damn girl!"

The Voice of the Terrace

www.stanleyultras.co.uk

Willie Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2005, 15:46   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Cottier
Does make you wonder what it would have been like had it ben 11 v 11.
It was! The ref was your 11th man
OLDHAMADE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2005, 18:33   #24

Talking Re: Tonight at Morecambe

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLDHAMADE
It was! The ref was your 11th man
Now THATS funny - thats why he sent one of ours off after 5 mins of play was it? Come on Ade - you won and youre still havin a go at the officials!!!

Jimbo T blower

Born and Bred in Accrington - You cant BUY class

"We invented the big time now we're back in the big time" ( Loweiy circa 2006 )

AND THATS WHERE WE'RE STAYIN!!!!
Jimbo T Hornblower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2005, 18:55   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo T Hornblower
Now THATS funny - thats why he sent one of ours off after 5 mins of play was it? Come on Ade - you won and youre still havin a go at the officials!!!

Jimbo T blower
It was all downhill from the moment he blew the whistle! How some of these guys get to be Refs is beyond me but look at what they have to contend with,
Being called a ****** from every part of the ground when right or wrong, verbally abused by Players and then to top it all Coley, who made a beeline for him on 47 mins.

Poor sod must have barrackaded himself in the officials dressing room at the end of the game, he did send out one of the liners to check if the coast was clear..........only for a Sniper to pick him off
Old 28-09-2005, 19:14   #26
Senior Member+

if it was all downhill why wasn't kelly sent off for persistent infringement?!
Old 28-09-2005, 19:31   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by zayno14
if it was all downhill why wasn't kelly sent off for persistent infringement?!
He had a blinder of a game but I wasn't as close to what you saw so I can't comment but saying that Mullin backed into our defenders on more than 10 occasions and stayed on the field so I guess it's quits.
Old 28-09-2005, 23:11   #28
Senior Member+

Staveros, thanks for the match report, read it last night and thought it was Tin Monkey, you can't get higher praise.

There is such potential in the present Stanley side, even though they lost I'm still bouyant.

I always enjoy Christie Park, especially when we beat Barrow 2-0 there, coincidentally with 10 men, after a Cav indiscretion ( he took a player into the crowd on the half way line for no apparent reason, he was younger then - about Butler's age).

I think, that if I'm going to make a big point here, which is what I'd like to do, is Stanley tried to win with only ten men for virtually the whole match, away from home.

Some Premership teams apparently are happy to lose by only two goals with a full team, "for God's sake don't let seven in again."
[Staveros this isn't personal, bloody good example though]

Thanks to all involved in last nights game

Morecambe - good Conference team
Stanley - team with a dream
Most Noise - the Ultras
Class - Paul Mullin
Director - JC ( the initials are not a coincidence)
Best pass - Paul Mullin
Biggest Arse - any of Morecambe's forwards
Context - Asda's Rioja

Now it’s out in the open, there are no secrets at the club.
Oggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2005, 23:44   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oggy
Staveros, thanks for the match report, read it last night and thought it was Tin Monkey, you can't get higher praise.

There is such potential in the present Stanley side, even though they lost I'm still bouyant.

I always enjoy Christie Park, especially when we beat Barrow 2-0 there, coincidentally with 10 men, after a Cav indiscretion ( he took a player into the crowd on the half way line for no apparent reason, he was younger then - about Butler's age).

I think, that if I'm going to make a big point here, which is what I'd like to do, is Stanley tried to win with only ten men for virtually the whole match, away from home.

Some Premership teams apparently are happy to lose by only two goals with a full team, "for God's sake don't let seven in again."
[Staveros this isn't personal, bloody good example though]

Thanks to all involved in last nights game

Morecambe - good Conference team
Stanley - team with a dream
Most Noise - the Ultras
Class - Paul Mullin
Director - JC ( the initials are not a coincidence)
Best pass - Paul Mullin
Biggest Arse - any of Morecambe's forwards
Context - Asda's Rioja
Thanks Oggy, I thought id gone on a bit too much for most, its just my enthusiasm coming out. I love football!!

On another line I seem to have been following a local fellow blue around this last week. Some dude with a Honda Accord reg D4 EFC. I overtook him on the way back from Goodison on Saturday and then, coincedentally, once again on the M6 back from Morecambe.

Who is this guy anyone know?? Ive got nothin but respect for him whoever he is, Stanley and Everton - technique and ...errr......tech-my word we'll come good.

A match made in heaven!!
Old 29-09-2005, 00:02   #30

Mullin doe's not back into defenders!! If I had a quid for every time I seen him being fouled, I could buy Man United for christs sakes!! As for the ref being biased, thats a load of crap, we have a player sent of, yet your number 6 persistently fouled and got away with it!!!! In fact, a couple of Stanley fans were betting how long he would stay on the field of play for...

All in all, a fair result for Morecambe, We deserved the sending, off, though the fight back for the stanley was a amazing

Best Drummer in the land
7/4/2007
The Day The Ultras Formed The Cowshed Choir

Last edited by Diesel; 29-09-2005 at 00:04.
Diesel is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..