Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-09-2005, 21:49   #1
Senior Member+

Tonight at Morecambe

Just got back from the game and even though we narrowly lost, I felt proud of the team's performance.

There was no doubt about Butler's sending off, but with 10 men for 86 minutes I felt that Stanley bossed the game for long periods, especially in the first half. The third Morecambe goal was just plain lucky, as Thompson's shot was going miles wide until it hit a defender and rebounded to Carlton to tap in.

I don't think you can read much into the scoreline tonight, as with 11 men for the whole game I feel certain that we'd have won.... and I don't say that very often.

Oh yeah, one last thing. Although I was disappointed at losing, I was more disappointed by the Morecambe fan who thought it necessary to throw a missile into the Accrington end. It was a miracle that nobody was injured and although the projectile was handed to a steward, very little action seemed to be taken.

Last edited by Tin Monkey; 28-09-2005 at 06:19.
Tin Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 27-09-2005, 21:54   #2

Re: Tonight at Morecambe

Just back myself Tin and I must echo your sentiments. Excellent spirited performance and they almost got something against all odds.

I must say, I thought the lad was a crackpot with that challenge to get sent off though.

Ive got more analysis to give but I cant be ar5ed right now, be back on 2 moz.

Night peeps.
Staveros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2005, 22:04   #3
Give, give, give member

Very exciting game. The odds were raised against us when we lost a man, but we soldiered on until the final whiste.

The atmosphere created by the Ultras is worth the money in itself.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2005, 22:21   #4
God Member

the game is forgotten already. As for the Ultras, big effort as always. The downside is that I thought the away numbers were down on recent years, which is a shame as we seem to have a product on the pitch, but, as at home a lot of stayaways. Still a few hundred though. Keep up the good work Ultras, sound basis for when more join in
Old 27-09-2005, 22:39   #5
Senior Member+

if browny converted that chance in the first half from that great ball in by mullin it could have been a different story all together. But cant take anything away from the lads great effort after the red card...Lets get behind the boys and get three more points under our belt against gravesend this saturday!
Old 27-09-2005, 22:50   #6
God Member

Enjoyed the match, hated the result...obviously. Played well as a team but playing with 10 men took its toll in final 20 mins I think. Roll on saturday

I know this may come as a shock but believe it or not all views I may air on here are my own work!!!!!
harwood red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2005, 22:58   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staveros
Just back myself Tin and I must echo your sentiments. Excellent spirited performance and they almost got something against all odds.

I must say, I thought the lad was a crackpot with that challenge to get sent off though.

Ive got more analysis to give but I cant be ar5ed right now, be back on 2 moz.

Night peeps.
Bit of scran and a brew soon picks you up, im back and raring to go.

Right....where do we start.

Whilst admittedly the away end wasn't the best vantage point from which to judge Butlers challenge it looked extremely 'rash' and unnescassary to me. I'd be interested to hear others views on that one. After that it was obviously going to be a struggle.

I think John Coleman deserves a HUGE amount of credit for the way he set the team up following the dismissal. I suspect most managers would have gone 4-4-1, dropping Jaggers to full back and putting Brown wide right and hoped to hold on. Not Coley though. The 3-4-2 he went with was extremely bold and adventurous and it ensured not only that Stanley still had a realistic chance of WINNING the game but that the match wasn't ruined as a spectacle for the punters. WELL DONE COLEY, superb to see such a positive mentality!!

The first half was absolutely fantastic, utterly superb, I cant praise the lads enough. A beautifully controlled performance with great movement and guile oozing throughout the side. Mully played a blinder, Brown was awesome, Craney, Jags, Cav, they were ALL brilliant. To go behind was an absolute travesty but I think sometimes you have to hold your hands up and say 'fair play'. That was a hell of a strike by the lad.

After the goal normal service resumed with our boys well in control and the equaliser was the least we desereved. The deflection that took it by the keeper, I was hoping, would signal lady luck being with the blues. Wasn't to be unfortunately!!

The turning point of the game was clearly Morecambe's second goal shortly after half time. I think it was a classic case of the concentration having been left in the dressing room with the half time cups of tea. It would be unfair to pinpoint anyone in particular as being at fault because we had numerous chances to clear our lines before the goal. Again you must admit though, after shrugging off Barry's somewhat 'powderpuff' challenge, Twiss unleashed one hell of a strike.

That goal clearly took the stuffing out of the lads after they had worked so hard to get the equaliser. To their credit though they stuck to the task. The effort throughout was unqestionable even if the second half performance did lack some of the 'craft' of that of the first. In fairness though, once they had the comfort of a lead AND the extra man, Morecambe did shift the ball around much better.

The third goal had an element of luck with the ball breaking to their player after several ricochets and was also aided by Stanley having pushed up a little too far in search of the second equaliser. Nobodys fault, just one of those things.

Again though, the boys plugged away without ever really looking likely to breakthrough again. But then, out of the blue, a penalty. Looked a good decision by the ref to me as Mully was again being climbed all over for something like the 7000th time in the game. Very brave call as well, well done ref!! Cav notched with minimum of fuss, game on!!!

Then comes my only gripe.

10 ish minutes or so left and I was expecting the alamo, all guns blazing. Never really happened though.

Odd criticism to make maybe but I think Stanley are too used to playing 'nice' football. That last 10 minutes called for some ugly, high pressure, long ball, 'in your face' football. They attempted it( I think!?) but it really was a dismal excuse of an attempt.

Quick free kicks and throws were taken when we should have flooded the box and wound up a 'big one'. Total waste of possesion and a release of pressure for them. Also, when we had Boco and Mangan playing as what I would call 'wing forwards' they were not getting anywhere near close enough to Mully when the ball was in flight. Mully is Mully. He wins some, he loses some. He's always a nuisance though. When you hit it long, you dont NEED to win it. Its all about the second ball. We didn't get close enough to him and we didn't win enough second ball. The midfield were just as guilty. When the ball was in flight they should have been on their bike and making a 'gamble' run, I didn't see enough of it though. Might as well get beat 4-2 as 3-2 in my book!!!

Anyway, enough with the gripe, maybe a couple of set training sessions and a few Wimbledon and Bolton Wanderers vids would help for the future on that one!! Im always available!!

All in all a great display in tough circumstances. I saw enough craft and guile tonight coupled with a wonderful attitude and team spirit to suggest that, as long as we can keep everyone fit, this is a team that is going places.

Well done Coley and the lads, you've got the Staveros back on board in a big way!!
Staveros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2005, 23:39   #8

superb mate. Exactly how a lot of people saw it I think. was alwasy going to be a close game. Does make you wonder what it would have been like had it ben 11 v 11. Stanley will be back.
Old 28-09-2005, 06:21   #9
Senior Member+

to be honest the only player that impressed me for them was twiss. No one else stood out. However twiss should not have been allowed to score his first bad defending but eleven versus eleven i could only have seen one winner
Old 28-09-2005, 06:25   #10
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by zayno14
to be honest the only player that impressed me for them was twiss. No one else stood out. However twiss should not have been allowed to score his first bad defending but eleven versus eleven i could only have seen one winner
The only reason Twiss had the room to score his first goal was because Jagielka had commited himself to a tackle at the other end and just couldn't get back in time. It left a hole on our right-hand side, which Twiss took full advantage of.

It wasn't what I'd call 'bad defending', just more a consequence of only having 10 men.
Old 28-09-2005, 06:35   #11
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccawozzagod
The downside is that I thought the away numbers were down on recent years, which is a shame as we seem to have a product on the pitch, but, as at home a lot of stayaways.
Did you think so? I actually thought we had more there than on previous occasions.
Old 28-09-2005, 07:11   #12
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

Despite the score I thought that Stanley played really well considering that they only had 10 men. As usual I was impressed with the support from the fans and the cracking good atmosphere created by the Ultras. I would love to get to more matches but am tied by my work circumstances. Well done Stanley for a great effort, and well done Ultras who made me laugh for the entire first half and most of the second....

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2005, 08:50   #13

Great effort by the lads and, despite winning, Morecambe and their supporters must know now that we are the better team of the two. If a `best of` was picked from the two squads there would be eight Stanley players to three from Morecambe. The power-base has been moving towards East lancashire for some time now and will continue to do so I feel. A point re `gates` though. Their ground and facilities are better and yet it's £11 to get in compared to £12 at the IES. Strange.
qualtrough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2005, 11:39   #14
Senior Member+

Hopefully, the defeat, the ten men, the way we played will increase the spirit & desire to make sure that we win on Saturday.

With the start we have made & the players we have, I would be very disappointed to make the play offs this season. And as we said on the coach last night, a cup run would be nice.

Knowing us we will get Exeter City away in the 4th Qualifying............

Thought everybody played well last night & only the sending off & Harvey telling them how to play against ten men at half time, were the differences.

Oh & Mr Twiss!

On the Terrace, well, we were again fantastic, a credit to the team & management. Loud & colourful. well behaved & passionate. A very good trip & a good turnout! Anyone who was on their first away trip remember that we are always like that & please try to make as many away days as you can it will be nice to see you.....

On Stanley On!

The Voice of the Terrace

www.stanleyultras.co.uk

Willie Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2005, 11:40   #15
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by qualtrough
there would be eight Stanley players to three from Morecambe.
I'd pick Twiss, Hunter & the Big Guy at the back

The Voice of the Terrace

www.stanleyultras.co.uk

Willie Miller is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..