Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2013, 12:17   #16
Resting in Peace

Re: Torquay thread

[QUOTE=Exile on Spencer St;1044477]
Quote:
Originally Posted by football19 View Post
They are going to be direct and play off Howe(whos a big lad!!),[/QUOTE]

Agree with that, 19. It was Howe who destroyed Stanley down at Plainmoor and, in my mind, Stanley's performance (or lack of it) that day was the start of their recent troubles. Whether they stop Howe directly or stop him getting the ball in the first place, he can be a real danger man. But, as much as Torquay away was the start of Stanley's troubles, I'm really hoping that Rochdale away is the start of a different run of fortune for the club.
And let's not forget his mate, Benyon, who I seem to remember being a nuisance to us in the past. Deano and Aldred/Hughes will need to be on their toes!
Redraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 01-03-2013, 15:00   #17
Senior Member+

Your right there Joe,Benyon is looking for the second balls,which Howe creates.
Remember Dean having Howes measure a couple of years ago,and he eventually cracked and was sent off for a two footed tackle on him which could have broke his leg.
Hope Deans memory isnt as good as mine
football19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 00:29   #18
Full Member+

Best wishes to us for this important(aren't they all)match! The first thing we have to win is the toss of the coin to decide which way we kick the second half. If it's not the Clayton End then i'll be worried!
winstanley asfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 12:21   #19
Senior Member+

The Gulls might be on form as far as 'gak'-king ( A neologism for the Forum ??) is concerned....BUT their League form is definitely open to question....so right in their faces Reds !, clip their wings, and zoom up that League Table !! ...

Outback Ozzy likes this.
yonmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 12:44   #20
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by yonmon View Post
'gak'-king ( A neologism for the Forum ??) is concerned....BUT their League form is definitely open to question....so right in their faces Reds !, clip their wings, and zoom up that League Table !! ...
Gakking:-

"The look depicted on one's face, which resembles that of a trout, often caused involuntarily, due the contortion and spasm of their facial muscles after ingesting" ..

Can we expect to see the Gulls players pulling trout-like faces then, Yonmon?
Old 02-03-2013, 14:21   #21
Senior Member+

73% to them. Pretty perky after a long coach ride.

We need to pin our hopes on a quick break away.

6th March 1962 - They turned off the gas but nothing could extinguish the flame!
Haggis316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 16:36   #22
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Considering our position, that was a very disappointing display,
Old 02-03-2013, 16:46   #23
Resting in Peace

Whilst we have such a dire lack of real attacking quality in our two starting central midfielders we are always going to struggle. At last maybe Leam has started to acknowledge it by subbing one of them today, late though it was. Amine has shown he is 4 times the footballer than either of them can ever hope to be. Get him started in the games coming up.
cashman likes this.
Old 02-03-2013, 17:00   #24
Senior Member+

My two pence worth......
Positive's and Negative's for me today, so ill start with the Positive's.

Three games unbeaten is a big step forward considering how bad we had been playing up till the Cheltenham game last Saturday. Defensively we look alot better, Aldred in particular has done very well slotting into the side in Hughes absence. Hunt looks solid at Right Back, and has experience in abundance which I have no doubt is helping the rest of lads at the back. Linganzi looks the real deal to me, and yet again was impressive coming off the bench. He simply MUST start at Northampton next week. Boco again ran his socks off, but he didnt look fully fit to me??? Hatfield...... In 8 minutes, scored a goal which should have been given. Why on EARTH he is not given more game time I do not know????

Negatives....Unfortunately in our position a home draw is simply not enough. We need to be picking up 3, make no mistake the three home games in a week WILL make or break our season. Joyce really was appalling........ AGAIN. How on earth he is starting every game I really dont know, thank god at least Leam finally saw sense and took him off. Hopefully Hatfield comes in next week, he simply MUST be dropped, its as simple as that. Murphy was ineffectual in Midfield....... for the 500th time he is a defender!!!

BUT its 3 games without defeat and its something to build on. Luckily its 15 minutes for me to get to Northampton next week so ill be there to shout the lads on, that's for sure.
Redraine likes this.
smudgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 17:00   #25
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

The 2 yer on about were absolutely Dire today, The guy yer on about starting has demonstrated he can pass the ball with accuracy, so even if he aint fully match fit,to me worth starting n taking off if he gets a bit knackered.
Old 02-03-2013, 17:20   #26

we started off very badly, very tentative against a team on a poor run. But from 20 mins or so we really bossed the game and if only there was a player capable of putting himself in the 18 yard box with some decisiveness we would have scored. would have, could have, should have. That may as well be our front line.
Second half was a bit more even but it goes down as points dropped I'm afraid.
A big plus is that we are not giving away dimb goals (for now) although I have to say I thought Hunt was very weak, always on the wrong foot and missing tackles.

So good in parts and bad in parts but the unbeaten run goes on. Everyone is looking at the 3 home games in a week to decide the season but every point is vital and that starts next week at Northampton
shadsworthcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 17:25   #27
God Member

I thought we looked a lot better without Beattie. When he was on the pitch it was a matter of hoof the ball upfield in his general direction, after his departure they actually seemed to be looking for a man to pass to. Get shut of Winnard and Murphy and we might have a chance.

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 17:29   #28
Senior Member+

Stanley didn't play that well. But why that goal was ruled offside, I don't know. He looked onside from where I was stood.
Bernard Dawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 17:30   #29
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by smudgie View Post
My two pence worth......
Positive's and Negative's for me today, so ill start with the Positive's.

Three games unbeaten is a big step forward considering how bad we had been playing up till the Cheltenham game last Saturday. Defensively we look alot better, Aldred in particular has done very well slotting into the side in Hughes absence. Hunt looks solid at Right Back, and has experience in abundance which I have no doubt is helping the rest of lads at the back. Linganzi looks the real deal to me, and yet again was impressive coming off the bench. He simply MUST start at Northampton next week. Boco again ran his socks off, but he didnt look fully fit to me??? Hatfield...... In 8 minutes, scored a goal which should have been given. Why on EARTH he is not given more game time I do not know????

Negatives....Unfortunately in our position a home draw is simply not enough. We need to be picking up 3, make no mistake the three home games in a week WILL make or break our season. Joyce really was appalling........ AGAIN. How on earth he is starting every game I really dont know, thank god at least Leam finally saw sense and took him off. Hopefully Hatfield comes in next week, he simply MUST be dropped, its as simple as that. Murphy was ineffectual in Midfield....... for the 500th time he is a defender!!!

BUT its 3 games without defeat and its something to build on. Luckily its 15 minutes for me to get to Northampton next week so ill be there to shout the lads on, that's for sure.
Whilst I agree we should really be picking up points at home, but at least it was a point gained rather than none at all. But I agree with you and others on here, Linganzi must start and if necessary, take him off if he is knackered. Where has Podge gone though, not even on the subs bench?? Even though, well done to the team keeping Torquay out but boo to their keeper who I believe has kept us out. last time I looked it was 8 shots to 2 on target for Stanley!

Piston broke owd geezer, Stanley supporter and shareholder, Retired and loving it
Addendum, the views I express on here are my own, if you don't like them: TOUGH!
Outback Ozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 17:55   #30
Senior Member+

To be fair they set up 4-2-3-1,and the 3 pressed us in possession,whilst the holding two screened and picked off our efforts to get the ball to our forwards feet.We played this system for over a season and drew numerous games and obviously Knill is a fan of it.
Like Tuesday,we were over run in central areas for twenty minutes until we tucked our wide men in.
Yerself seems to blame Murph and Dean for our current plight,interesting if he could enlighten us to his reasons.
My moan today is our front twos movement(or lack of it),if the ball player looks up,the strikers movement dictates the pass.
They challenged for the same ball on numerous occasions,Beattie just doesn't want to run beyond the challenge,simple as.
My other moan is the keeper,kicking poor,struggles to catch and won't come,all the back four were onto him on a number of occasions.
Positives,another clean sheet,Aldred and Deans performance against two/three good forwards.
Nicky Hunt solid and reliable and Bocco was excellent despite carrying a pull.
If we had a player like Howe,I would play Bocco off him all day long.
For those having a pop at Murph,I would love to see them play 5v2 in a 30m square,not easy,and a clean sheet suggests he did what was asked of him
football19 is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..