Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree36Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21-07-2013, 13:39   #16
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Tranmere thread

Thats true sherry, Fans were never very high up in the pressing commitment stakes at stanley.
Old 21-07-2013, 14:23   #17
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry View Post
I am sure that Stanley would be delighted to have the shop stocked to the gunnels but it is the off season and incoming revenue is like the proverbial hen's teeth! I am sure that there are pressing commitments that have to take priority as in wages, running costs etc.

Cash-rich? What a blissful situation that would be!
Nobody's asking to have the shop "stocked to the gunnels". It would be good though if the club had the nous to stock basic items like T-shirts and to have the shop open in windows of opportunity - ie, after the match when fans are walking past it. In that way, the club could generate some income which could go towards meeting those wages and running costs that you talk about.
Old 21-07-2013, 14:35   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Thats true sherry, Fans were never very high up in the pressing commitment stakes at stanley.
I am sorry that you do not see that it is a commitment to the fans by the club in regulating its cash flow to ensure that it is there for them.
sherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2013, 14:40   #19
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
I am sorry that you do not see that it is a commitment to the fans by the club in regulating its cash flow to ensure that it is there for them.
I see things like that as plain common sense trying to increase the clubs cashflow, I'm sorry you don't see it as well. And whilst speaking of cashflow, why are season tickets normally late, when the money fer em is already gone in the coffers?

Last edited by cashman; 21-07-2013 at 14:44.
cashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2013, 14:45   #20
Super Moderator

Quote:
Cash flow does not come from closed club shops and out-of-stock items. One way it does come is from a professional, user-responsive merchandising operation!
Stevie R likes this.
Old 21-07-2013, 14:46   #21

I do see it and it would be the ideal situation but it must be difficult to achieve at this time of year.
sherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2013, 15:15   #22
God Member

I see the clubs position and it must be frustrating for them to not have a fully stocked shop at a time of year when people may want the products. I bet it was equally frustrating for them to have such a poor crowd on yesterday.

No excuse for season tickets though. Many of them have been ordered for weeks and in my eyes should be produced well before the start of the season. Every year it is a matter of hours before the first game before they are available and that isn't ideal. but then again I suppose it saves £300 on stamps
maccawozzagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2013, 16:11   #23
God Member

When ordering merchandise you tend to have to order in hundreds and thousands as a minimum order. Of course Stanley have a small fan base, so they can't shift those sort of numbers, and you have to really pick and choose the items that can be stocked.

The ideal situation is where you have a supplier that can provide a small number of products, where no backup stock is required. If they sell out they get replaced, if they don't there is a minimum loss of profit and no storeroom of stock to shift at below cost price. Of course these sort of suppliers don't exist.

The lads who work in the shop probably feel like a butcher in a supermarket where head office have only ordered sausage and burgers
Old 21-07-2013, 16:15   #24
God Member

I felt for the lads in the Shop yesterday there were a few bits & pieces but nothing of any great interest, I would think most Stanley fans as Wyn posted would take a bit of pride in wearing a Club T-Shirt or New Home Top in fact it's one of the greatest Free Advetisng Campaigns the Club can have is it not?

Sure money is tight at this time of the Season for the Club I understand that and wish them well but at the same time I also wish to spend money with them which I will do again on Tuesday with turnstile money.

I also currently have money set aside for the New Home shirt but it ain't half burning a hole in my pocket but coming off the back of our biggest ever pre-season friendly & potentially the Club's biggest free advertising campaign with the high profile fixture on Sky of the Pompey Game I would at least hope stock is in place for that game or it is an even bigger own goal.

One thing I can give and still keep: my word.

SFFS
Pendle Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2013, 16:21   #25
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

To me unless i'm dense, it would have been good business to mention weeks ago on the fishy, on accyweb etc Stanley are considering ordering T- shirts fer the 125 yrs thing and other opportunitys that crop up, Surely then if there where orders/sizes etc, a smaller supplier could be found, if no orders they have lost nowt!! no unless i'm stupid what would be wrong wi that?
Old 21-07-2013, 16:46   #26
God Member

Quote:
To me unless i'm dense, it would have been good business to mention weeks ago on the fishy, on accyweb etc Stanley are considering ordering T- shirts fer the 125 yrs thing and other opportunitys that crop up, Surely then if there where orders/sizes etc, a smaller supplier could be found, if no orders they have lost nowt!! no unless i'm stupid what would be wrong wi that?
There are lots of ways to skin a cat.... you just have to want to do it
Old 21-07-2013, 17:03   #27
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
There are lots of ways to skin a cat.... you just have to want to do it
Or perhaps the business acumen.?
Old 21-07-2013, 17:27   #28
God Member

Quote:
Or perhaps the business acumen.?
The reality is there isn't enough staff. The decision to cut costs took away the person who worked full time in the retail section, therefore the assumption is the retail side doesn't generate enough income to pay a salary. I would imagine the same rules have always applied to the catering side.
Old 21-07-2013, 19:44   #29
Super Moderator

Funny how when we were a semi-pro club in the depths of the North West Counties League, we could always manage to knock out a few T-shirts, even in the summer. Now, apparently, it's too difficult for us. Strange that.
Old 21-07-2013, 19:48   #30
Senior Member+

suggestion.

Why don't the club go into partnership with the OSC or a likeminded fan/fans who will provide merchandise to the club?
The OSC/fan can a mark up on the raw cost plus a small uplift for their troubles and the club can make a larger mark up selling at retail price?

That way, the club will stock products the fans actually want to buy
The OSC will push using the club shop to increase both the clubs and its own income
If an item doesn't sell, there is no risk to the club as they will only act as a sales front
Chubbyman likes this.
DAV007 is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..