Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree36Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21-07-2013, 21:18   #31
God Member

Re: Tranmere thread

There was a bit of experimentation a few years ag with the OSC & various T-Shirts etc. which I wasn't really involved in but Macca may be able to tell you better on lines and how it went?

As somebody who earns a living from procurement and supply I would rather deal direct with Suppliers that way you know your source, get the keenest prices and build up Customer/Supplier relationships.

No risk to the Club but risk to the OSC makes it rather shaky foundations.

There are always ways round situations I know what I would look to do and I am always open to dialogue with the Club in fact if the Club want to engage and pick my brains I will gladly give up some time next week to discuss while I am on holiday.

One thing I can give and still keep: my word.

SFFS
Pendle Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 21-07-2013, 22:26   #32

Think we may have to speak to Lancsdave....... surely he knows how to procure relatively small numbers of printed tee shirts & not make a loss on sales?
KiTChener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2013, 23:05   #33
bdc

If the club have to order in large bulk to get clothing etc then there has to be the demand to sell the product in large quantities to justify purchasing the goods. If the club feel there isn't the demand there to justify large orders they need to arrange an alternative strategy for procurement on the retail side. Even if it means arranging for a local supplier to produce t-shirts etc in smaller quantities, this has to be a better strategy than the one currently being employed by the club.

The club is losing out on fans money due to a lack of coherent procurement policy, this has to change and the sooner it does the sooner the club will have supporters money in the coffers.
bdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2013, 07:20   #34
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiTChener View Post
Think we may have to speak to Lancsdave....... surely he knows how to procure relatively small numbers of printed tee shirts & not make a loss on sales?
We like to think so

That boat has long sailed. You can only offer to help out so much including sale or return options, free space in our shop for a town centre club shop, we took the decision a while ago not to keep offering because we were just banging our heads against the wall.

We still do the favours and freebies despite vowing not to but reluctantly accept we just aren't seen to be good enough for anything else. You can't please everybody

The non-Samurai clothing range is usually supplied by a company outside the area so no idea why they aren't providing the goods.
DAV007 likes this.
Old 22-07-2013, 07:36   #35
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Or perhaps the business acumen.?
Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
We like to think so

That boat has long sailed. You can only offer to help out so much including sale or return options, free space in our shop for a town centre club shop, we took the decision a while ago not to keep offering because we were just banging our heads against the wall.

We still do the favours and freebies despite vowing not to but reluctantly accept we just aren't seen to be good enough for anything else. You can't please everybody

The non-Samurai clothing range is usually supplied by a company outside the area so no idea why they aren't providing the goods.
Well then.seems me quote is pretty near the mark.
Old 22-07-2013, 08:14   #36
Super Moderator

Quote:

Perhaps someone from the club would explain why this particular set of opportunities has been ignored. Sale or return options?...free space in a town centre shop?...it seems to me like the club should have snatched Dave's hand off.

So, explanations please, Stanley staff.
cashman and DAV007 like this.
Old 22-07-2013, 10:47   #37
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendle Red View Post
There was a bit of experimentation a few years ag with the OSC & various T-Shirts etc. which I wasn't really involved in but Macca may be able to tell you better on lines and how it went?
at the time I wanted to be able to offer a line of products that was affordable and could be spontaneous - ie a quickly produced play-off t-shirt or something topical regarding the next opponents etc. The idea went out and I wanted everybody to be able to offer suggestions on products, pricing, procurement etc. It was a chance for all in the OSC to get involved in running a small business where we had free reign on what mark up we wanted to make. I hated the idea of paying £20 for a t-shirt when I knew it could be produced for far less than a fiver.

I tried to involve the club at every step but the attitude (Eric) was along the lines of "tell us when you've some money to give us". So decisions were made and we spent about £1000 on products and printing and began with a small line in t-shirts, caps, polos, umbrellas and suchlike. We had asked for a corner of the clubhouse to sell our stuff pre-match but when it came to the first game of the season we were told that we couldn't have our corner because the clubhouse was going prawn sandwich. We were also told that we couldn't use The Crown because selling things in there wasn't in their contract. So that left us with Ebay and trying to sell at functions.

From memory I think we ended up having made about £1300 back and had products left over which probably ended up being given away.

In short, we made a do - just, but were hindered greatly by the club taking away much of the market despite knowing our plans so it never continued. In truth the products weren't great but they were produced by people who knew little about the process or creative ideas. Having said that I have no doubt that had we been provided with a route to market the ideas and products would have improved along the way.

It was sad really, I never did get to make the underpants with the Barrow crest inside the gusset ...
Wynonie Harris and cashman like this.
maccawozzagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2013, 10:55   #38
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
Perhaps someone from the club would explain why this particular set of opportunities has been ignored. Sale or return options?...free space in a town centre shop?...it seems to me like the club should have snatched Dave's hand off.

So, explanations please, Stanley staff.
Quote:
Originally Posted by maccawozzagod View Post
at the time I wanted to be able to offer a line of products that was affordable and could be spontaneous - ie a quickly produced play-off t-shirt or something topical regarding the next opponents etc. The idea went out and I wanted everybody to be able to offer suggestions on products, pricing, procurement etc. It was a chance for all in the OSC to get involved in running a small business where we had free reign on what mark up we wanted to make. I hated the idea of paying £20 for a t-shirt when I knew it could be produced for far less than a fiver.

I tried to involve the club at every step but the attitude (Eric) was along the lines of "tell us when you've some money to give us". So decisions were made and we spent about £1000 on products and printing and began with a small line in t-shirts, caps, polos, umbrellas and suchlike. We had asked for a corner of the clubhouse to sell our stuff pre-match but when it came to the first game of the season we were told that we couldn't have our corner because the clubhouse was going prawn sandwich. We were also told that we couldn't use The Crown because selling things in there wasn't in their contract. So that left us with Ebay and trying to sell at functions.

From memory I think we ended up having made about £1300 back and had products left over which probably ended up being given away.

In short, we made a do - just, but were hindered greatly by the club taking away much of the market despite knowing our plans so it never continued. In truth the products weren't great but they were produced by people who knew little about the process or creative ideas. Having said that I have no doubt that had we been provided with a route to market the ideas and products would have improved along the way.

It was sad really, I never did get to make the underpants with the Barrow crest inside the gusset ...
Stuff like that Rob, is the reason Wynonie will never get n answer, Whilst on the playing side our staff continue to work miracles, the other side of things has always left much to be desired, in other words, All the clowns aint in the circus!! Excuses like not enough staff cos of cash restrictions are no excuse at all fer inability to do the tasks.
Wynonie Harris likes this.
Old 22-07-2013, 16:58   #39
Super Moderator

Quote:
Stuff like that Rob, is the reason Wynonie will never get n answer, Whilst on the playing side our staff continue to work miracles, the other side of things has always left much to be desired, in other words, All the clowns aint in the circus!! Excuses like not enough staff cos of cash restrictions are no excuse at all fer inability to do the tasks.
Undeterred, I once again ask the question - why did the club turn down Dave's offers of help? Free space in his town centre shop and sale or return items sounds like an incredible deal for a football club which is stretched for staff and money.

It's a simple question - why will nobody at Accrington Stanley answer it?
cashman likes this.
Old 22-07-2013, 17:47   #40
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Undeterred, I once again ask the question - why did the club turn down Dave's offers of help? Free space in his town centre shop and sale or return items sounds like an incredible deal for a football club which is stretched for staff and money.

Perhaps cos yer only a lifelong fan,season ticket holder even now,when yeh spend more than half the season abroad, shareholder, a guy who spends mucho dinero in the shop, sorry yeh probably have to do much more n that to get n answer.
Wynonie Harris likes this.
Old 22-07-2013, 17:59   #41
Super Moderator

Quote:
Perhaps cos yer only a lifelong fan,season ticket holder even now,when yeh spend more than half the season abroad, shareholder, a guy who spends mucho dinero in the shop, sorry yeh probably have to do much more n that to get n answer.
...and don't forget player sponsorer, Mr C! Wonder what happened to my Toto away shirt and "Certificate of Authenticity"? Perhaps, Toto took it with him!
Old 22-07-2013, 18:03   #42
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
...and don't forget player sponsorer, Mr C! Wonder what happened to my Toto away shirt and "Certificate of Authenticity"? Perhaps, Toto took it with him!
Who ever is responsible fer summat like that, is certainly unfit to do the job, if yeh have not received or even got n explanation? Its no wonder local business in general don't want to know.
Old 22-07-2013, 19:06   #43
God Member

Quote:

We did do a very short spell of providing stuff but new brooms sweep clean and it was very short lived.
Old 22-07-2013, 20:04   #44
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
We did do a very short spell of providing stuff but new brooms sweep clean and it was very short lived.
To my mind the only thing that wants sweeping clean,is whomever is responsible fer retail.
Old 22-07-2013, 22:12   #45
Senior Member+

We all know he is a nice guy, but doesnt Rob Heys need to take the blame for the commercial failures?
It ultimately sits with the chief exec.

At least that's how its works in other businesses.

Please correct me if I am wrong.
cashman likes this.
DAV007 is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..