Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 29-12-2019, 18:49   #1
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Var?

when VAR was introduced i thought what a good idea, after watching how its been operated i take that back, its absolutely spoiling a great game, i sincerely hope they will scrap it P.D.Q.
Taypot likes this.
Old 29-12-2019, 19:49   #2
Full Member+

Re: Var?

could work better if left hand knew what right hand was doing. If it changed to, if there is daylight between the forward and the defender its offside, simples
ferret man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2019, 10:20   #3
Senior Member+

Here is a copy of a letter that I sent to The Sunday Times for their letters page in their sport pages a couple of weeks ago indicating my thoughts on VAR. They have not seen fit to print it as they probably think that I am just some thick northern git who follows a tin pot club! My wife gets the Sunday Times for the nice magazines. The only bit I read is the Sport Section!

VAR ......my views.
Surely, all that needs to be applied in order to help referees and to make VAR more acceptable is to apply some common sense.
Consider any football match where VAR is NOT in use. The referee and his assistants have to make judgements at speed while they are running and the players are in a fluid state of movements in different directions etc. So the assistant referees in particular can only be making off side decisions on the position of the ‘person’. Not where an armpit, or a toe or finger might be!
Consider this; If a still frame photo of a player were to be ‘cut out’ and pinned on to a wall the obvious place to ‘stick the pin’ would be through the centre of his or her torso! Wether or not their torso is leaning one way or the other, or if a leg or an arm is sticking out becomes irrelevant. Surely using the centre of the torso as the basis of the true position of a player would make the Video Assistant Referee’s job much easier and would allow him or her to announce his decision so much more quickly. Thus, supporting the referee and his assistants much more in their decisions rather than continuously over ruling them. It would also reduce the match disruption time.
It just needs the use of realistic common sense to me and makes the application of the offside rule universal from The Premier League right down to grass roots football!

See my post of a ‘still’ frame of Ozzy’s ‘goal’ against Burton Albion on the Burton match thread too.
choirboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2019, 10:28   #4
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

trouble with that choirboy, common sense and the football league dont go together imho.
choirboy likes this.
Old 30-12-2019, 11:54   #5
Senior Member+

Choirboy's is a sensible suggestion, track athletics uses that principle after all. My solution would be much simpler - ditch the offside rule completely. Hockey did it years ago, it opens up the game enormously (the pitch effectively becomes much bigger) and allows the officials to concentrate on other issues - like what's dirty, dangerous or just plain cheating.
Old 30-12-2019, 12:07   #6
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimer View Post
Choirboy's is a sensible suggestion, track athletics uses that principle after all. My solution would be much simpler - ditch the offside rule completely. Hockey did it years ago, it opens up the game enormously (the pitch effectively becomes much bigger) and allows the officials to concentrate on other issues - like what's dirty, dangerous or just plain cheating.
it is sensible but the F.L. sure aint.
Old 30-12-2019, 13:04   #7
God Member

This whole debate isn’t really about VAR but about offside.

I like Chimer’s suggestion, and have often wondered just what the impact would be in today’s game and what, other than having Jamie Vardy standing on the opponents’ goal line for 90 minutes, the offside rule is trying to prevent.

But I also thought Graeme Sounness had a good idea (it’s got to happen every now and again) to turn the rule on its head so that, if an attacker has ANY part of his body, legs, foot or armpit, behind or in line with the last defender he/she is deemed onside. That way the officials would need to see daylight between the defender and attacker to rule offside.
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2019, 14:34   #8
Senior Member+

No complaint with var myself, the rule is quite simple if a scoring part of the body is in an off-side position your off-side, it’s a much better option than what we had before var, where the lines-person gives a decision which is totally wrong and is excepted as gospel
accybeme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2019, 14:58   #9
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by accybeme View Post
No complaint with var myself, the rule is quite simple if a scoring part of the body is in an off-side position your off-side, it’s a much better option than what we had before var, where the lines-person gives a decision which is totally wrong and is excepted as gospel
if yeh think thats how its being interpreted then i feel soory for yeh mate.
Old 30-12-2019, 15:34   #10
Senior Member+

As always I Cash I respect your opinion but I would rather have the chance to review the lines-persons decision than except a cock-up by the lines-persons totally wrong one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
accybeme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2019, 15:37   #11
Senior Member+

Nothings changed "it evens itself out over a season" hahaha.
Twenty Eight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2019, 16:31   #12
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twenty Eight View Post
Nothings changed "it evens itself out over a season" hahaha.
It probably does, but it never feels that way
Old 30-12-2019, 18:53   #13
mab
God Member

Budapest Defenders Champion!
Fast Castle Defense Champion!

Scrap it completely should never been introduced in the first place! Goal line technology ie cameras to see if the ball crossed the line should be enough, not this was it a goal or not or was it a foul or not was he offside or not!! VAR is spoiling the Beautfull game 😔
AccyMad, cashman and Revived Red like this.
Old 30-12-2019, 19:42   #14
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

thing is though the ref rarely if ever checks the screen, why? i cannot understand, unless its an ego thing and has no wish to see if a mistakes been made? a goaline check would do fine.
Old 30-12-2019, 19:44   #15
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile on Spencer St View Post
This whole debate isn’t really about VAR but about offside.

I like Chimer’s suggestion, and have often wondered just what the impact would be in today’s game and what, other than having Jamie Vardy standing on the opponents’ goal line for 90 minutes, the offside rule is trying to prevent.

But I also thought Graeme Sounness had a good idea (it’s got to happen every now and again) to turn the rule on its head so that, if an attacker has ANY part of his body, legs, foot or armpit, behind or in line with the last defender he/she is deemed onside. That way the officials would need to see daylight between the defender and attacker to rule offside.
?
ferret man is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..