Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16-01-2015, 12:19   #1
Junior Member+

Walking Football - With Accrington Stanley

CALLING OUT TO STANLEY FANS!

Accrington Stanley Community Trust are pleased to announce the beginning of a new programme! ‘Walking Football’ is the latest practical activity to be delivered by the trust and will be available to all adults who are over the age of 50!

Walking football is a brilliant way to exercise, create new friends and even re-live those childhood memories.

The Community Trust has teamed up with Age UK Lancashire to provide the sessions which will begin on the 30th January 2015. Walking football is quickly becoming the sport to play! It increases cardio vascular fitness levels and helps control weight gain, not to mention gets a group of guys together to do something different!

This format of the beautiful game is very similar to the mainstream structure however there are a few modifications. It is non-contact and anyone that sprints, runs or jogs while the ball is in play will be penalised with a free-kick being awarded to the other team. If the ball goes out of play, the game will be restarted with a kick in.

The session is available to anybody over the age of 50 and do not require a booking, so dig those old trainers out and slip into that Stanley shirt!

What: Walking Football & A Brew

When: Fridays at 1.30pm-2.30pm

Where: Hyndburn Leisure Centre (Sports Hall), Henry Street, Church

How Much: £2

For any further information please contact the Trust on 01254 304 071

Walking Football (Age 50+) - Accrington Stanley Community Trust
Stanley Trust is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 16-01-2015, 14:26   #2

Re: Walking Football - With Accrington Stanley

Shame it's not one evening or weekend I suppose most people interested might be working and not locally ??
sparkie likes this.
Shurm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2015, 15:42   #3
Senior Member+

This is great news. I can recommend Walking Football. I've been involved at Weston-super-Mare for the last six months. When you are up and running (oops, walking ), how about matches, home and away, to coincide with home games? I can promise you there is a lot of interest in Stanley amongst the Weston lot. As I always play in a Stanley shirt, I was soon given the nickname of "Stan".
Revived Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2015, 17:00   #4
Junior Member+

Thanks for your feedback - We have targeted this time which may be suitable for retired members of the public. We are open to the idea of an additional evening session in the future.

We definitely plan on playing matches against other clubs. We are hoping for a good turnout and to build the programme from strength to strength. One step at a time for now, we don't want to 'run' before we can walk
Old 16-01-2015, 17:19   #5
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revived Red View Post
This is great news. I can recommend Walking Football. I've been involved at Weston-super-Mare for the last six months. When you are up and running (oops, walking ), how about matches, home and away, to coincide with home games? I can promise you there is a lot of interest in Stanley amongst the Weston lot. As I always play in a Stanley shirt, I was soon given the nickname of "Stan".
The image of myself in any shirt of any colour, attempting to reconcile my prosthetically supported undercarriage with kicking a doggone football fills me with dread RR !..
My GP, when I rang him to check this afternoon stated quite categorically that in his opinion I was in need of yet another Psychiatric assessment by virtue of simply giving it some consideration !..BUT I applaud the venture and will be along to watch the efforts of friends involved in the pastime!..no jeering from Alfred.E and I guaranteed !.

PS....It must be a bit chilly around your nether regions if all you wear is a Stanley shirt !...
but I suppose it will prove to be somewhat of a bonus for the watching masses ?..
Stan the Man ....???.
Revived Red likes this.
yonmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2015, 20:58   #6
God Member

Good to see communication does work RR
Revived Red likes this.
Old 16-01-2015, 22:26   #7
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by yonmon View Post
kicking a doggone football
I am starting to wish I had put some kind of copyright on that word!!

Quote:
It must be a bit chilly around your nether regions if all you wear is a Stanley shirt !...
but I suppose it will prove to be somewhat of a bonus for the watching masses ?..
On the contrary. But I shall retain a diplomatic silence on that.

Quote:
Stan the Man ....???.
Yep, correct - that's the phrase!
We play on a Tuesday morning. There is disappointment if I have not been to Stanley's game the previous weekend - I am now expected to give the why and wherefore of any victory or defeat.
yonmon likes this.
Revived Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2015, 16:14   #8
Senior Member+

Walking football?? I've been playing over 50 football for 20 years and there's no way it,s walking. I suppose you have to start somewhere but restricting it to walking? Here we have 40 teams in over 50 football leagues, 20 teams in over 55 and 10 teams in a new over 60s league. Maybe it,s just a reason to get away from the wife and have a pint with the boys?
ossy kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2015, 11:24   #9
Junior Member+

Session starts tomorrow people! 1:30pm-2:30pm at Hyndburn Leisure Centre, Sports Hall.

Please spread the word!

We might find a striker that we can fast track to the first team

HOME - Accrington Stanley Community Trust
Old 29-01-2015, 12:30   #10
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanley Trust View Post
Session starts tomorrow people! 1:30pm-2:30pm at Hyndburn Leisure Centre, Sports Hall.

Please spread the word!

We might find a striker that we can fast track to the first team

HOME - Accrington Stanley Community Trust
Then Coley would play him at Centre Half
DAV007 likes this.
Chubbyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2015, 22:30   #11
Senior Member+

Played today,really enjoyed it ,just a shame Cashy,Yonmon and Alfred E didn't turn out.
Stanley Trust likes this.
Old 30-01-2015, 22:36   #12
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

No good fer me, its oer 50s.
Old 30-01-2015, 22:50   #13
God Member

Quick question - is this restricted to the male species? It says open to anyone over 50 but then goes on to say one of the aims is to get a group of guys together to do something different - like I say, just a question???
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2015, 22:56   #14
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccyMad View Post
Quick question - is this restricted to the male species? It says open to anyone over 50 but then goes on to say one of the aims is to get a group of guys together to do something different - like I say, just a question???
No a young lady over 50 played and I'm not just saying this but she was one of the better players.
Old 31-01-2015, 10:23   #15
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccyMad View Post
Do I detect a slight feeling of Disappointment lurking within this query love ?...because I'm sure that I can say with some certainty that if the word got out that you, and perhaps your dear Mother as well ?, were going to turn out wearing your Stanley shirt AND SHORTS !,, then the attraction would , like the lure of some powerful electromagnet, be far too powerful for the average male Stanley fan to resist !, and Mab would be able to run a ' Guess the gate' as the attendances soared week by week !.
Of course, Alfred.E and I who are both easily upset by exhibitions of female pulchitrude in any setting would have to give it a miss, but that is one of the crosses that we septuagenarians have to bear unfortunately !.
I was tempted to use the term ' If you've got it, flaunt it ', but I won't on this occasion. But one can dream !!.
sherry likes this.
yonmon is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..