Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21-09-2006, 14:41   #121
Senior Member+

Re: Watford Game

It was a privilege to be at the game - and I drove specially from Bristol to be there. Stanley played brilliantly, and did not deserve to lose. The support was excellent. Just a point about the goalkeeper substitution - it seems to me that if the goalkeeper has played superbly, as had Ian Dunbavin, it is odd to substitute him. Here was an on-form player. It would be dangerous to replace form with what seems almost like superstition.

But, again, well done Reds (or, in this game, Blues).
Revived Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 21-09-2006, 16:40   #122

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revived Red
It was a privilege to be at the game - and I drove specially from Bristol to be there. Stanley played brilliantly, and did not deserve to lose. The support was excellent. Just a point about the goalkeeper substitution - it seems to me that if the goalkeeper has played superbly, as had Ian Dunbavin, it is odd to substitute him. Here was an on-form player. It would be dangerous to replace form with what seems almost like superstition.

But, again, well done Reds (or, in this game, Blues).
Elliot was fantastic on penalties last season, that'll be the big reason for the substitution.

Best Drummer in the land
7/4/2007
The Day The Ultras Formed The Cowshed Choir
Diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2006, 21:28   #123
Senior Member+

I'm not sure what relevance last season has. How far back into the past can such an argument be taken??? Ian Dunbavin was on fantastic form in terms of positioning and anticipation for 120 minutes of the Watford game. Why assume that that form was going to fail in the shoot-out?
Revived Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2006, 08:05   #124

Coley has now come out and said that if he could turn back time he wouldn't have switched them.
Old 22-09-2006, 08:50   #125
God Member

I've just read that in the Observer, couldn't believe it Coley admitting that he may have been wrong - that's got to be a first but credit to him for saying it, he's also retracted a bit on what he said about the penalties. Maybe a case of he should have kept quiet after the game till he'd had a chance to calm down, 'no comment' would have been better than what he came out with.
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2006, 20:59   #126

Well done Coley for admitting he was wrong, but still cant believe he played Doherty instead of Bocco !!
Old 24-09-2006, 11:07   #127
Senior Member+

After yesterdays game at Mansfield, I'll wager Coley would have liked the earth to open up and swallow him after Bav's made 2 penalty saves - oh the benefit of hindsight

Piston broke owd geezer, Stanley supporter and shareholder, Retired and loving it
Addendum, the views I express on here are my own, if you don't like them: TOUGH!
Outback Ozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2006, 22:28   #128
God Member

great move by coley he was saving bavs penalty saves for yesterdays game and earning a point rather than lossing them gainst watford lol

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..