Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree72Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 22-08-2017, 20:25   #16
God Member

Re: WBA Carabao Cup Match Thread

Gate reported as 2699. Wish I could have been there just to make it round numbers.
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 22-08-2017, 20:28   #17
Senior Member+

1-3! Dallison
MikeA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2017, 20:34   #18
God Member

Met Mr.Dallison's dad at Yeovil and he said he'd never missed a match his son had played. If he maintained that record tonight really pleased that his son got a goal as he'll have a helluva drive home.
Revived Red and monkey hanger like this.
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2017, 21:04   #19
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Beaten by a better side Yes, Disgraced No, over all thought stanley aquitted themselves very well, a couple of our players not at the races first half, Dallison was one, but redeemed himself by scoring a good goal, team never gave up, the second goal was superboy, passing a freekick to West Brom,they came straight down and scored, have no idea why Mcloud dont get a start,defies logic to me. We are the ONLY team to score against WBA so far this season, so well done lads.
Old 22-08-2017, 21:17   #20
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Must add was a nice change to have competent officials in charge tonight.credit were its due.
Old 22-08-2017, 21:18   #21
God Member

Well worth the admission fee tonight Tony Pullis put a very strong line up out tonight and their front 3 especially Rodriguez were pulling us all over good learning curve hopefully tonight for our lads. We never let our heads drop and with Chapman pulling off some excellent saves if we had been concentrating at the free kick it could have been a different game. Quick mention for McLeod was excellent when he came on deserves a start..
andyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2017, 21:20   #22

Score a fair reflection of game. Baggies very slick on counter attack. We passed it nicely at times. Wba 2nd goal a giveaway. Wba could have scored more but Edwards had a decent headed chance and we could (perhaps should) have had a penalty for a foul on Jackson whilst shooting. As cashman alooded too mcloud came of the bench and made a tremendous impact with his direct running and shooting At the very least he showed to be a good impact sub. Still a loud and proud Stanley fan after tonight's display.

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk
chevyfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2017, 21:27   #23
Full Member+

They did their homework on us and neutralised our threats, We were a long way second best for most of the match, Until we made our subs we were easily beaten, we had two good efforts on goal. then with the subs McCloud frightened them to death. overall we should learn a lot about our weaknesses and our distribution. Chapman pulled of some stunning saves but he should have done better for the goals. Why have we got a better keeper on the bench? is he staying or going? As much as I want to support Chapman his lack of confidence seems to be affecting the back four. overall beaten but as cashy says not disgraced.
Chrisr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2017, 21:41   #24
God Member

Offensively we were decent but let down by some amateur defending time after time. Having said that they had a pretty awesome fast and powerful forward line. Their first goal looked like it was reasonably soft but their right winger made it with a clever flick give and go on the halfway line, perfect delivery and simple finish in the middle.

They one-two'd around Donacien for fun the entire 2nd half

Barry ran the midfield too and Nolan and Brown only got away with what he wanted them to get away.

Clark, Jackson, McConville had a lot of the ball and Clark in particular always looked lively.

Coleman was pleased with McLeod looking lively and said he some things to think over, although he was disappointed with him getting M.O.M as it was disrespectful to those that had put a shift in.

I dont think West Brom ever hit third gear tonight, but Edwards missing a sitter at 1-0 and the two stonewall penalties that weren't (and accompanying cards) could have changed the make up of the game.

It could have been 6 or 7, it could have been 3-3 - funny old game
chevyfire and Chrisr like this.
Old 22-08-2017, 22:08   #25
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Must add was a nice change to have competent officials in charge tonight.credit were its due.
Sorry Cashy, I cannot agree with this point. These were Premiership referees and not to give 2 penalties and accompanying red cards is beyond me. I must agree with your other point though, we were not disgraced tonight and I thought well worth one goal if not more. Que Sera and all that. Is the ghost of Eric Whalley counting the numbers of spectators again? I though well over 3,000 on tonight. There must have been about 1200 + Baggies fans, the Clayton end was fullish as was the main stand. Must have been a load of freebies given out.

Piston broke owd geezer, Stanley supporter and shareholder, Retired and loving it
Addendum, the views I express on here are my own, if you don't like them: TOUGH!
Outback Ozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2017, 22:10   #26

Glad to see McLeod given a chance tonight, but mystified why it was at the expense of Jackson.
Mekhi showed more skill, speed & attacking intent in 20 minutes than McConville did in 93.
Seems crazy to sub our centre forward & main goal scoring threat, for the sake of keeping 2 left wingers on the field.
Especially when one of them made no contribution to the game at all.
Lord Stiffupperlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2017, 22:15   #27
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Stiffupperlip View Post
Glad to see McLeod given a chance tonight, but mystified why it was at the expense of Jackson.
Mekhi showed more skill, speed & attacking intent in 20 minutes than McConville did in 93.
Seems crazy to sub our centre forward & main goal scoring threat, for the sake of keeping 2 left wingers on the field.
Especially when one of them made no contribution to the game at all.
I don't know about that Lord S, he did pass the ball to the opposition to allow them to score the 2nd goal (but according to BBC Radio Lancs, Coleys taking the blame for that one!!!)

Piston broke owd geezer, Stanley supporter and shareholder, Retired and loving it
Addendum, the views I express on here are my own, if you don't like them: TOUGH!
Outback Ozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2017, 22:42   #28

Great game to watch , thaught all the lads worked there socks off an could not fault any players for effort , we look full of goals this season with there keeper making a couple of really good saves second half , first goal was poor marking , second goal was a mix up in communication with Donacian an mcconville an the 3rd looked like a good finish , not convinced with the keeper although he made a couple of good stops , an Clark looked like he was carrying an injury tonight , other than that a really proud Stanley fan tonight ! Roll on Friday and a win at Notts.
Wynonie Harris likes this.
pidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2017, 06:13   #29
Senior Member+

Clark isn't injured. In fact I thought he put a great shift in and for me over 90 minutes was our best man. Maybe it's me but I find these MOM selections baffling. McCloud came on at a time when WBA were easing off. OK he looked lively but MOM ? Please .....
I've never entered the on going saga of Marmite man McConville - hero to some villain to others - but tonight our left side was ineffective. Add in the second goal and the poor set piece delivery ......
It's the cup and it's over. More concerned about Friday.
monkey hanger likes this.
Twenty Eight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2017, 06:23   #30
Senior Member+

Enjoyed the game as both teams provided a very open game.
Thought West Brom showed a lot of respect by playing a strong team and you could see the difference in pace and technique.
Thought Hughes played well and tried his best to keep them organised.
Definitely need a few more faces,but I am even more confident of doing well this season
monkey hanger likes this.
football19 is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..