Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-06-2008, 18:22   #46
Accy Red

Cricket Challenge Champion!
Re: Whinney Hill Stand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owd Bob View Post
When the Whinney Hill Stand is completed
Nowt like a bit of optimism to keep us going.

"At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They're only there to sign cheques." - Bill Shankly
Bagpuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 15-06-2008, 21:08   #47
Senior Member+

It would be nice owd bob , but i think the club will probably get a sponsor for the stand to give the club some income!

Last edited by fc:stanley; 15-06-2008 at 21:18.
fc:stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2008, 09:51   #48
Resting In Peace

The club doesn't have to build a new stand they only have to provide more seating by the end of next season.
JEFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2008, 10:14   #49
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFF View Post
The club doesn't have to build a new stand they only have to provide more seating by the end of next season.
Not quite, yes the club could put the necessary seating in the Clayton end or the Hollands pie stand, but we would then have a capacity of less than 5,000 which is also a requirement for league football, hence the reason Barnet were relegated a few years back. Barnet had problems with the local council who refused expansion to stay in the league, however, I think it has now been done.

Piston broke owd geezer, Stanley supporter and shareholder, Retired and loving it
Addendum, the views I express on here are my own, if you don't like them: TOUGH!
Outback Ozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2008, 11:41   #50

We're not going to build it untill weve assured survival. Barnet knocked up their new stand with offices etc in less then two weeks and it looks great. What would be the opoint of us building it now and it being a white elephant in the BSP???

Old 16-06-2008, 12:03   #51
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvin the chipmunk View Post
We're not going to build it untill weve assured survival. Barnet knocked up their new stand with offices etc in less then two weeks and it looks great. What would be the opoint of us building it now and it being a white elephant in the BSP???

Was there not a temporary structure already in place at Barnet before this Stand? If so would foundation work have already been in place? From what I have seen behind the Whinney Hill Stand there would be an awful lot of prep work involved, maybe our New Sponsors could assist?
I agree about the sentiments of possibly being a White Elephant but if we hang on till we are mathmatically safe we may have run out of time?

It is a bone of contention and I fully understand both sides of the arguement but I want to see Stanley push on to Bigger & Better things and as part of that we have to remain in the League

One thing I can give and still keep: my word.

SFFS
Pendle Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2008, 12:55   #52
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outback Ozzy View Post
but we would then have a capacity of less than 5,000 which is also a requirement for league football, hence the reason Barnet were relegated a few years back.
Barnet were relegated in 2000-2001 because they finished bottom of the league.
http://www.betexplorer.com/soccer/en...ion-2000-2001/
JEFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2008, 13:05   #53

I was passing Turf Moor yesterday. I have they no plans to replace the Cricket Field Stand? Surely we could get the framework for the very cheaply.
Forever Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2008, 14:12   #54
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Red View Post
I was passing Turf Moor yesterday. I have they no plans to replace the Cricket Field Stand? Surely we could get the framework for the very cheaply.
a) it won't be this season when it comes down.

b) It will be cheap, it's probably full of rust
Old 16-06-2008, 15:42   #55

I have to say I get the impression that the club has just stuck its head in the sand on this one. With a bit of imagination there's real potential.
Forever Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2008, 17:54   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFF View Post
Barnet were relegated in 2000-2001 because they finished bottom of the league.
http://www.betexplorer.com/soccer/en...ion-2000-2001/
Thats true, but if they had not finnished bottom they would still have been relegated as their ground was not up to League standards. The same will happen to Stanley at the end of next season if they have not added the extra 800+ seats (and kept the capcity above 5,000) - surely not a lot to ask in this day and age
Blackburn Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2008, 21:42   #57
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackburn Stanley View Post
Thats true, but if they had not finnished bottom they would still have been relegated as their ground was not up to League standards. The same will happen to Stanley at the end of next season if they have not added the extra 800+ seats (and kept the capcity above 5,000) - surely not a lot to ask in this day and age
it is when they aint a pot to pee in.
Old 16-06-2008, 22:13   #58
mab
God Member

Budapest Defenders Champion!
Fast Castle Defense Champion!

perhaps our very own Harwood Red could ask the club as Chair Lady of the OSC may be they would be forth coming with an up date on the new stand.What you say HR would you
Old 17-06-2008, 09:40   #59
Senior Member+

A friend of mine asked whether he would still be able to stand on Whinney Hill prior to purchasing his season ticket. "Yes, it'll be unaffected till after the season", was the reply.

Make of that what you will.

Now it’s out in the open, there are no secrets at the club.
Oggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2008, 11:55   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oggy View Post
A friend of mine asked whether he would still be able to stand on Whinney Hill prior to purchasing his season ticket. "Yes, it'll be unaffected till after the season", was the reply.

Make of that what you will.

If true, thats very sad. The Whinney Hill should be closed down now ready for work to begin on the rebuilding. Or do Stanley want to be relegated back to the Conference I live in Preston now and their new stand took just over 12 months to put up (granted its bigger about 4,000 seats I think) - but what are Stanley officials playing at, do they really hate League football that much
Blackburn Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..