Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2008, 12:44   #1

Whinney Hill Stand

This may be covered on another thread - if so sorry - but will the Whinney Hill Terrace be closed next season if a new stand is being built there? Also what is the cut-off date for Stanley to install the extra 8-900 seats needed so the ground meets League standards?

I was in Preston yesterday and went past Deepdale, their new stand is almost up, its small, but its taken almost 12 months to put up. Stanley need to bare this in mind or they could end up playing home games at the Turf for a season!
Blackburn Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 01-06-2008, 14:27   #2
Senior Member+

Re: Whinney Hill Stand

Search function top right, for future reference.

The deadline is May next year & i persume it should be closed because it would be a building site.

Most likely temporary seating will be installed.
Nickelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 14:36   #3
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickelson View Post
Search function top right, for future reference.

Most likely temporary seating will be installed.
I seem to recall that work was carried out to enable the ground to reach a minimum capacity target set by the League.

Could temporary seating be installed and yet the ground maintain that minimum capacity?

6th March 1962 - They turned off the gas but nothing could extinguish the flame!
Haggis316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 15:18   #4

What capcity does a league two ground need to qualify for league status?

Temp seating is not a good idea - look at Blackpool - their fans hate it.

The only route I can see is to build a new all seated stand on the Whinny Hill Terrace - holding between 1-2,000. And - correct me if I'm wrong - the club can get grants from the FA(?) towards the costs.
Old 01-06-2008, 15:20   #5
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackburn Stanley View Post
What capcity does a league two ground need to qualify for league status?

Temp seating is not a good idea - look at Blackpool - their fans hate it.

The only route I can see is to build a new all seated stand on the Whinny Hill Terrace - holding between 1-2,000. And - correct me if I'm wrong - the club can get grants from the FA(?) towards the costs.
The grants can only make up upto half of the overall cost, and we don't have the rest.
We have no need for an all-seater 1500+ capacity stand because it won't be filled, frustratingly enough.
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 16:05   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakermaker View Post
The grants can only make up upto half of the overall cost, and we don't have the rest.
We have no need for an all-seater 1500+ capacity stand because it won't be filled, frustratingly enough.
Well a grant of half is a start and better than nothing. But I would have thought the club would have had a plan in place - unless they expected to be relegated back to the conference that is?

I really do hope they find the money or else they may take the easy route and just put seats in the Clayton End (much cheaper option) to get the number up to 2,000 seats needed to stay in League Two.

As to not filling a new stand - well thats quite normal with many clubs - big and small - just look at near neighbours Blackburn Rovers. Sometimes the Darwen End stand only had 4-500 in it last season (for Fulham, Reading etc.) - but when MUFC, Liverpool etc. came they filled it - 7,500. Thats life in the Football League.

And if a new Whinney Hill Stand was built - why not give half of it to away fans - the likes of Bradford City would fill it no problem.
Old 01-06-2008, 20:39   #7
Super Moderator

There is a plan. Eric's written to t'league to ask them to reconsider, as we don't really need those 1,000 extra seats. Can't see them relenting, though. I reckon we'll end up with a makeshift solution - probably seats out in the open on the Coppice End, just like Stockport.
Old 01-06-2008, 20:48   #8
Accy Red

Cricket Challenge Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackburn Stanley View Post
But I would have thought the club would have had a plan in place - unless they expected to be relegated back to the conference that is?
Stanley have a plan - Noooooooo (Look at the current problem with our shirt sponsor) unless the plan is to go back to non league.

"At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They're only there to sign cheques." - Bill Shankly
Bagpuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 20:56   #9
Senior Member+

Most def Bagpuss.

(Anyone else watch The Wire?)
Old 01-06-2008, 20:59   #10
Accy Red

Cricket Challenge Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Monkey View Post
(Anyone else watch The Wire?)
What's that?

"At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They're only there to sign cheques." - Bill Shankly
Bagpuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 21:14   #11
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
There is a plan. Eric's written to t'league to ask them to reconsider, as we don't really need those 1,000 extra seats. Can't see them relenting, though. I reckon we'll end up with a makeshift solution - probably seats out in the open on the Coppice End, just like Stockport.
Quite Right Wynonie - Eric has written and had his reply - the seats must be in by the end of next season or its back to the Conference for us, regardless of where we finish next season. Putting the seats on the Clayton End or the Coppice Terrace would be no good either as that would reduce the current capacity which would then mean we would have to increase it some other way to qualify for league status of capacity of over 5,000.

Piston broke owd geezer, Stanley supporter and shareholder, Retired and loving it
Addendum, the views I express on here are my own, if you don't like them: TOUGH!
Outback Ozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 05:55   #12
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagpuss View Post
What's that?
It's a US police drama series based in Baltimore. Probably the best programme of its type, ever.

As for the new stand, I don't expect to be changing my viewing position on the Whinney Hill side anytime soon.
Old 02-06-2008, 07:51   #13
Super Moderator

So, let me get this right - even while the club was still "under the impression" that FE were continuing with the shirt sponsorship deal, we couldn't have found the half million we'd have to shell out for the Whinney Hill stand.

Now that we've lost that deal - and with no guarantee of a new one - we're even less likely to be able to afford a ground fixture which we must have in place by the end of next season to ensure our continued membership of the league.

I reckon that Eric should not be looking for a sponsorship deal, but should be looking for someone to buy the club. And I'm not talking about someone who wants to move the club miles away and rename it. Rather, someone with the club's interests at heart who will provide new investment and, just as importantly, someone who will look at new ways to market Stanley to make it more attractive to local people. Obviously, there might not be anyone like that out there, but Eric should at least test the water to see if there is.
Old 02-06-2008, 10:23   #14
Senior Member+

I for one am looking forward to the new stand but I do think we shall lose somthing of our past the scratting shed is a legend in the FL with not too many left up and down the land perhaps English heritage might be interested?

Loweiy
Old 02-06-2008, 11:27   #15
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Monkey View Post
As for the new stand, I don't expect to be changing my viewing position on the Whinney Hill side anytime soon.
Thought you was playing out in the big stand now?
fatgaz182 is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..