Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree228Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-09-2015, 12:21   #76
Senior Member+

Re: Who ate all the pies?

Great transport facilities at Crawley,bus stop outside Gregg's !!!,they know their way to a Wigan lads heart
football19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 27-09-2015, 13:18   #77
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revived Red View Post
Is there anywhere to eat outside the Wham? The local chippy is not always open.

And I think your original premise was wrong. It's not always "a couple of hours" without something to eat - it can be very much longer depending on distance travelled. And in any case, the half-time refreshment is (or should be) part of what is now generally called the "match day experience".
my matchday experience is from the kick off to the final whistle. a good experience is a win, an average one is a draw, and a bad one is a defeat.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2015, 16:20   #78
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey hanger View Post
my matchday experience is from the kick off to the final whistle. a good experience is a win, an average one is a draw, and a bad one is a defeat.
My matchday experience for a Saturday game at The Wham starts at 7.30am. By the time I reach the ground at about 2pm (transport permitting), I like to meet friends and have something reasonable to eat and drink.
Revived Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2015, 18:23   #79
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Football19
Great transport facilities at Crawley,bus stop outside Gregg's !!!,they know their way to a Wigan lads heart
If a Wigan lad'll eat Gregg's pies he'll eat 'owt.
cashman likes this.

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2015, 06:54   #80
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revived Red View Post
Is there anywhere to eat outside the Wham? The local chippy is not always open.

I thought the chippy is now open on all matchdays even though they are normally closed on Saturdays since it had new ownership ?

There's also the Crown pub who do food.
monkey hanger likes this.
Old 28-09-2015, 09:07   #81
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
I thought the chippy is now open on all matchdays even though they are normally closed on Saturdays since it had new ownership ?

Thats fine,but not much use if yeh traveling a good distance n encounter traffic probs, the point is yeh should be able to obtain decent stuff on the ground.
keep the faith likes this.
Old 28-09-2015, 12:50   #82
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Thats fine,but not much use if yeh traveling a good distance n encounter traffic probs, the point is yeh should be able to obtain decent stuff on the ground.
got to agree but my main gripe is the cost. some of the prices at football league grounds are ridiculous and if they were in town centres you,de avoid them like the plague. non league grounds seem to have a more sensible price structure but they seem to do their own catering. this could be where the answer lies. will still bring my flask tomorrow night but each to there own, we still are all Stanley fans at the end of the day.
Old 28-09-2015, 13:15   #83
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

I used to take a flask to away games, but not much use on a cold day, lugging it to Exeter or Wycombe n the like.
Old 28-09-2015, 16:46   #84
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey hanger View Post
got to agree but my main gripe is the cost. some of the prices at football league grounds are ridiculous and if they were in town centres you,de avoid them like the plague. non league grounds seem to have a more sensible price structure but they seem to do their own catering. this could be where the answer lies. will still bring my flask tomorrow night but each to there own, we still are all Stanley fans at the end of the day.
Ah !!...The memories of kindly ladies at 'Great 'arrod' and Clitheroe serving ' Looas an' Peyz' from big enamel bowls and sticking a lump of suet crust on top !!...AND a decent brew from a steaming boiler to top it all off !!.
The dream fades as one realises that H & S rules, and Public Health restrictions results in Alfred.E. and myself searching endlessly for the Holy Grail which is an edible and sensibly priced Pie of any flavour whatsoever... Except Chicken Balti ! ( Pukka Ltd have a lot to answer for I'll tell you !).
As far as t'Wham ( God how I hate that expression !) Is concerned, I'll wager that whilst the REDS are serving up a dish of delight on the pitch every home game of this season..the same old dross will make up the fare available in the fast food outlets week in week out !....
Because nobody really cares as long as the revenue continues to flow !.
yonmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2015, 18:12   #85
Full Member+

yonmon they still have a big pan and boiler at the nelson canteen
Lemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2015, 21:10   #86
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemur View Post
yonmon they still have a big pan and boiler at the nelson canteen
Thanks Lemur for that welcome news !..but do they contain anything mouth-watering which
might possibly cure the 'Wham' Pie Blues'which seem to be so sadly prevalent in our fellow contributors to this thread ?.....
We haven't begun to discuss the liquid which masquerades as Coffee yet !..can't wait for the opinions on this to arrive !.
Of more importance is the result of tomorrow night's game against a team which so far this season have turner out to be aa right load of Cobblers,but will be attempting to get their usual points off the REDS...and of course a 1500 gate at the very least !!.
Get the gloves off lads...

Last edited by yonmon; 28-09-2015 at 21:14.
yonmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2015, 22:55   #87
Full Member+

All this talk about Bovril has made me buy some. It'll be beef tea instead of coffee in my flask from now on until the clocks go forward in March!
Red-Osbornello likes this.
winstanley asfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2015, 08:39   #88
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yonmon View Post
Thanks Lemur for that welcome news !..but do they contain anything mouth-watering which
might possibly cure the 'Wham' Pie Blues'which seem to be so sadly prevalent in our fellow contributors to this thread ?.....
We haven't begun to discuss the liquid which masquerades as Coffee yet !..can't wait for the opinions on this to arrive !.
Of more importance is the result of tomorrow night's game against a team which so far this season have turner out to be aa right load of Cobblers,but will be attempting to get their usual points off the REDS...and of course a 1500 gate at the very least !!.
Get the gloves off lads...
Cobblers?? Their usual points off the Reds??? You do know we're playing Yeovil not Northampton
monkey hanger likes this.
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2015, 09:44   #89
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yonmon View Post
Ah !!...The memories of kindly ladies at 'Great 'arrod' and Clitheroe serving ' Looas an' Peyz' from big enamel bowls and sticking a lump of suet crust on top !!...AND a decent brew from a steaming boiler to top it all off !!.
these do still exist in the non league scene. my son who supports stockport county has left his flask at home and eats at places like Solihull moors and Nuneaton due to the fact of quality and price which you don't get at league grounds. on the whole I don't like the non league scene but we can learn from them as far as catering is concerned with clubs with gates even less than half of ours.
Old 29-09-2015, 10:19   #90
Senior Member+

Quote:
Thanks for the info Dave. I haven't been to The Wham on a Saturday this season - only the Hull game. I know that last season, the chippy had less activity than the Marie Celeste on the days that I took notice.

Quote:
It always seems to be crowded by the time that I arrive on a Saturday.
yonmon likes this.
Revived Red is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..