Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree85Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2018, 08:46   #61

Re: Who can cut it in Div 1?

By O Sullivan I did mean the version we had first time- if he could get back to that form he'd be a real asset.

Saying that he would have a job shifting Jordan Clarke but could provide options both wide and centrally.
Inspector Morse is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 09-05-2018, 09:37   #62
God Member

Theres no guarantee that Clarke will be with us next season, as a young man with a medal round his neck, and one of our better players, I've no doubt he'll be courted elsewhere.

Players like Billy and Sean MAY be happy where they are and less interested in bench warming elsewhere à la Pearson and McCartan
Old 10-05-2018, 09:48   #63
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccawozzagod View Post
Theres no guarantee that Clarke will be with us next season, as a young man with a medal round his neck, and one of our better players, I've no doubt he'll be courted elsewhere.

Players like Billy and Sean MAY be happy where they are and less interested in bench warming elsewhere à la Pearson and McCartan
its all about money anyway. the players mentioned are all under contract and so we would get a good fee for em and being a bench warmer on more money might be an attraction. best job in football is the understudy keeper at a premier league club. loads of dosh without game time. if their regular gets injured they,d sign another as well if its in the window.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 10:13   #64
Senior Member+

O’Sullivan is a class act when he decides to turn up !!!
You can argue hes had some bad injures,but IMO,its the bit between his ears thats stopped him progressing,hes got the lot in his locker.
AccyMad and monkey hanger like this.
football19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 12:32   #65
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccawozzagod View Post

He's under contract for another year with an option for another year after that. He wont be going anywhere unless the club wants / allows him to leave.

He also has a league two runner up medal.
Twenty Eight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 19:53   #66
Full Member+

It will be interesting to see who is at the club for next season. The comings and goings will throw up a lot of speculation before the final team is shaped up. Up to signing the keeper from Guiseley Chappers was a poor keeper. He then suddenly realised he had to up his game and proved to be a good keeper like he was when he first came on loan before he got injured. Bill is a goal poacher but has not got the legs these days, I doubt if he would be able to cut in League 1. Jackson would and the sub Zatlan. Ben would be an ideal defender for that division. Will Jimmy Dunne still be available to us. I don't know but if not I wish him well. if he stays it would be a master stroke on coley's behalf. If Burnley decide he can go there will be a scramble for him. Would Mark Hughes cut it in league 1. Possibly but has he got the speed left in his legs? There are others who are questionable or would stay. This thread will run for a good while. It will be another part of the equation when we know who else is available. All opinions are as valid as each others for discussion sake. Ultimately Coley's decision will be the final one.
KiTChener likes this.
Chrisr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 08:42   #67
God Member

its difficult to really say who will come off in div.1 and who will not. could be in for a surprise as some who did well last season may struggle and others may adapt better who were not regulars. how many of our squad who we have kept have played div.1 football i wonder. any help out there.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 09:14   #68

I don't class Billy as just a goal poacher though he can finish. He's probably our best footballer and his hold up/link play can be fantastic. The only limit to Billy will come from himself and how much re really wants to play at a higher level given his issues. I would certainly love to see him leading the line next season.

Re Chapman. I put his rejuvenation down to being dropped for the Morecombe away game.
cashman and Chrisr like this.
Old 11-05-2018, 10:09   #69
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Billys hold up play and Link up, is as inspector morse said second to none in my view, speed has never been his asset, but common sense has, i think he will be fine in league 1,
monkey hanger likes this.
Old 11-05-2018, 13:19   #70

John Sheridan was the best player I ever saw outside the top flight. He was the reason I started going watching footy again in the mid 80s. Head and shoulders above everyone else, a joy to watch with his vision and skill.... yet was very ordinary in the top division (despite what wikipedia might say!). Other players such as Batty and Strachan performed just as well in both divisions.

I don't think it's just down to speed/fitness, but it's one of the major factors. Akinfenwa, i suspect, might be a handful and score at any level (outside the premier league) even though he's a slow coach.

I reckon we may be a bit too slow/lightweight through the spine of the team..... would love to see that bolstering.

If anyone can, Coley can.
Lord Didsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 14:35   #71

Was Sheridan not playmaker for the cracking Sheff Wed team of the early 90's? 9(Hirst, Waddle , Carlton Palmer ahemetc) He always looked sheer class when I saw him on tv for both Wednesday and ROI.

Last edited by Inspector Morse; 11-05-2018 at 14:38. Reason: omission
Old 11-05-2018, 17:47   #72
Senior Member+

Indeed he was so I’m baffled by Lord D’s “ordinary” comment.
I’m sure Manchester United didn’t think he was ordinary in 1991 when he scored the winner at Wembley .......
Old 11-05-2018, 17:49   #73
Senior Member+

Can’t wait to see which Manager’s job he gets.
Old 11-05-2018, 18:42   #74
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twenty Eight View Post
Indeed he was so I’m baffled by Lord D’s “ordinary” comment.
I’m sure Manchester United didn’t think he was ordinary in 1991 when he scored the winner at Wembley .......
He wasn't top flight then and they were only playing a mid-table div 1 team in the reserve cup.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 18:54   #75
Senior Member+

Closet Man Ure fan surfaces !
If you live in Accy probably the most local fan they’ve got.
monkey hanger likes this.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..