Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2013, 08:46   #16
God Member

Re: Wigan FA Cup Winners

It would be interesting to know how much percentage of revenue gate money is for all clubs. I'd be fairly certain few clubs would have it on the list as 'main' revenue
Old 12-05-2013, 08:57   #17
Full Member+

I saw Northern Premier League Wigan Athletic play a few times at Great Harwood's Showground in the 1970's,then yesterday they were beating the multi billionaires in the FA Cup Final!! I for one wouldn't like to see our club turned into a Wigan Athletic. I think that most of us on here would have our noses pushed out if we became that successful. We'd be sat in plastic seats in a plastic ground, behind face painted plastic fans who's claim that they'd always supported Stanley even though they only started watching when promotion to the Premiership or Championship was virtually guaranteed.
Our new ground would be near Altham which from my point of view would be bad as i wouldn't be able to walk to the match again. Our players would all be foreigners on stupid salaries and we'd probably end up being sponsored by one of those spiv money lenders or some dodgy gambling firm. I'm not saying some sugar daddy would not be welcome but giving us enough money to flirt with the odd promotion to league 1, even the Championship should be our limit as anything above that would mean us losing our identity!
Revived Red and OscarUK like this.
winstanley asfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 09:16   #18
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
It would be interesting to know how much percentage of revenue gate money is for all clubs. I'd be fairly certain few clubs would have it on the list as 'main' revenue
Think it will be no clubs Dave
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 09:21   #19
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by winstanley asfc View Post
I saw Northern Premier League Wigan Athletic play a few times at Great Harwood's Showground in the 1970's,then yesterday they were beating the multi billionaires in the FA Cup Final!! I for one wouldn't like to see our club turned into a Wigan Athletic. I think that most of us on here would have our noses pushed out if we became that successful. We'd be sat in plastic seats in a plastic ground, behind face painted plastic fans who's claim that they'd always supported Stanley even though they only started watching when promotion to the Premiership or Championship was virtually guaranteed.
Our new ground would be near Altham which from my point of view would be bad as i wouldn't be able to walk to the match again. Our players would all be foreigners on stupid salaries and we'd probably end up being sponsored by one of those spiv money lenders or some dodgy gambling firm. I'm not saying some sugar daddy would not be welcome but giving us enough money to flirt with the odd promotion to league 1, even the Championship should be our limit as anything above that would mean us losing our identity!
I think you could be in a minority there winstanley, most football fans would love to wake up on matchday knowing they were going to watch their team playing on their own ground against United, Liverpool. Arsenal or Chelsea that afternoon
Greeny likes this.
Old 12-05-2013, 09:49   #20
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
I think you could be in a minority there winstanley, most football fans would love to wake up on matchday knowing they were going to watch their team playing on their own ground against United, Liverpool. Arsenal or Chelsea that afternoon
I probably am Jaysay! But when you say PLAYING AGAINST United, Liverpool, Arsenal or Chelsea i think it'd be more like GETTING BEAT BY United, Liverpool,Arsenal or Chelsea! I guess i'm just not a fan of Premiership football, if i were i'd have watched Blackburn for all those years they spent in the top flight.
shillelagh likes this.
Old 12-05-2013, 10:07   #21
Resting in Peace

Quote:
I probably am J Say! But when you say PLAYING AGAINST United, Liverpool, Arsenal or Chelsea i think it'd be more like GETTING BEAT BY United, Liverpool,Arsenal or Chelsea! I guess i'm just not a fan of Premiership football, if i were i'd have watched Blackburn for all those years they spent in the top flight.
Ya but the thing is winstanley I've watched the Rovers from the early 50s, so I've had the full gamut of emotions, from promotion to the 1st division in 58 to relegation in 67, then the ups and downs until Jack Walker came in and changed everything in the early 90s, I can remember the Spurs chairman threatening to report Rovers to the FA because they made a million pound bid to buy Gary Lineker, saying its was frivolous bid, he was just a little red faced when 4 years later Rovers were top of the pile, and far from watch watching the team get beaten by the top teams, they all suffered a bloody nose at the hands of Rovers, I may not have been a fan of the prem if my team hadn't played in it, but if Stanley were to make it, and it ain't imposible, you would be there with bells on
DAV007 likes this.
Old 12-05-2013, 10:32   #22
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Ya but the thing is winstanley I've watched the Rovers from the early 50s, so I've had the full gamut of emotions, from promotion to the 1st division in 58 to relegation in 67, then the ups and downs until Jack Walker came in and changed everything in the early 90s, I can remember the Spurs chairman threatening to report Rovers to the FA because they made a million pound bid to buy Gary Lineker, saying its was frivolous bid, he was just a little red faced when 4 years later Rovers were top of the pile, and far from watch watching the team get beaten by the top teams, they all suffered a bloody nose at the hands of Rovers, I may not have been a fan of the prem if my team hadn't played in it, but if Stanley were to make it, and it ain't imposible, you would be there with bells on
Yes it's true that BRFC enjoyed great days under the ownership of Mr Walker Jaysay, but those days soon vanished when he died in August 2000. His family had no affiliation or connection with Blackburn Rovers, they couldn't wait to offload the club and business that Jack had built up! Which goes to show that if your sugar daddy dies then so does your income to fund "The happy days"!
Would i be there to watch Stanley in the Premiership? Probably yes, but i'd leave the bells at home!
Old 12-05-2013, 17:32   #23
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Yes it's true that BRFC enjoyed great days under the ownership of Mr Walker J Say, but those days soon vanished when he died in August 2000. His family had no affiliation or connection with Blackburn Rovers, they couldn't wait to offload the club and business that Jack had built up! Which goes to show that if your sugar daddy dies then so does your income to fund "The happy days"!
Would i be there to watch Stanley in the Premiership? Probably yes, but i'd leave the bells at home!
The days ended before 2000 winstanley, Walker hadn't the overall finances to keep it going, but he did leave a huge legacy, he rebuilt the stadium and the training facilities are probably some of the best in the country, and the club was stable under steward ship of John Williams, until the dreaded V word came on the scene, who quite frankly hadn't a clue about how to run a football club and were hood winked into doing things just for a third persons personal gain. The day John Williams left was one of the darkest days in Rovers history, now we're left with a circus and the right hand doesn't know what the left is doing, If they appoint Gary Bowyer as full time manager it will be the most sensible thing they've done, but I'm not holding my breath
Old 12-05-2013, 17:44   #24
Senior Member+

Why not make shebi Singh the manager?*
DAV007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 17:50   #25
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAV007 View Post
Why not make shebi Singh the manager?*
Your having a laugh, nobodies seen him since Appleton went nor Jerome Anderson either, and his son Miles, who Kean signed on saying he was a late starter like Chris Samba now plays for Exeter
Old 12-05-2013, 18:19   #26
Senior Member+

Just back from an unbelievable weekend watching wigan beat city.Loads of debate and banter in the pubs and respect to city fans who have also tasted lower league football not long ago.
Like to make a point on Steve Kean,he is a very knowledgable coach and most of the rubbish posted about him is simply not true.
He was in charge when they got relegated,but Wigan will go the same way this season,is there coach useless ??.
When he got sacked,what was blackburn s league position?,top six I recall.
His biggest mistake was trying to pacify Venkys,but then again they were the owners,so it's catch 22.
Outback Ozzy likes this.
football19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 18:31   #27
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by football19 View Post
Just back from an unbelievable weekend watching wigan beat city.Loads of debate and banter in the pubs and respect to city fans who have also tasted lower league football not long ago.
Like to make a point on Steve Kean,he is a very knowledgeable coach and most of the rubbish posted about him is simply not true.
He was in charge when they got relegated,but Wigan will go the same way this season,is there coach useless ??.
When he got sacked,what was blackburn s league position?,top six I recall.
His biggest mistake was trying to pacify Venky's,but then again they were the owners,so it's catch 22.
Keans mistake was to publicly slag Sam, after he took us from a place of top half comfort to relegation, they may have been sixth in the league but that was more good luck than management, they were totally in a false position, Steve Kean was a legend in his own lunchtime nothing more nothing less
Old 12-05-2013, 18:48   #28
Senior Member+

Jaysay,your right in one sense that Kean should have kept his thoughts to himself,but I could write a book about big Sam and his lad.
Old 12-05-2013, 19:09   #29
Senior Member+

Was it Steve kean who said David Godwille was the next Wayne Rooney?
DAV007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 19:18   #30
Senior Member+

Was it Fergie who said Bebe was the next Ronaldo ! Kean,to be fair,gave youth a chance,but eventually paid for it,you don't win anything with kids !!!!
DAV007 likes this.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..